Fraggle foolishness on ABC's "The Goldbergs"

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else caught the Fraggle-centric scene that ran midway through last night's episode of ABC's '80s-nostalgia family sitcom The Goldbergs? (I debated as to whether this belonged in the "Muppet Appearances" section but in the end I figured it made more sense to put it here.)

The plot involved the series' dad character, Murray Goldberg (Jeff Garlin of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame) trying to work up the courage to have "The Talk" with his clueless teenage son Barry (actor's name escapes me), only to learn that his father-in-law "Pops" (George Segal) actually gave Barry "The Talk" three years ago.

As a means of exacting revenge, Murray picked up a pair of Boober and Mokey puppets for a "birds and bees" demonstration in Barry's bedroom, and had Mokey using a silly pick-up line to the effect that she was a "lonely nursing student living alone in my condo" (to which a confused Barry replied "Fraggles don't have condos").

The punchline to the whole thing, came after Murray and Barry argued for a bit and Barry subsequently stormed out of his room: "And another thing - Fraggles don't even need nurses! They dance their cares away!!!"

Mrs. Otter and I laughed like fools at that scene - a great little nod to Fraggle Rock fans from a show that, IMO, started slowly back in the fall but has been getting better and better every week.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Shows how much that Barry kid knows... They do too need nurses, Boober's the only medically trained doctor for the entire colony! :zany:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I was able to catch that episode. I'm glad the show has muppet mentions now and then. This was the second muppet mention, the first was in ep 2 where the Goldberge mom had a muppet show lunch box.