Fraggle Rock: Behind the Magic

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Hey all! I've just been dinking around with this and that, and I've come up with a starter script for a mock production of FR similar to that of VH1's Behind the Music. Tell me what you think so far...what I've got at the moment is just a bit of it - this isn't serious, btw (for those who may think otherwise LOL)...

>Adam

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Part I

NARRATOR: It was 1982 -- two years into the so-called “age of excess.” Many people believe that this tumultuous time began with a slightly off-key G-chord followed by rasps of A’s and diminished sixths. This is, in some respects, true. But it was also the age of the fun-loving; the age of the carefree; the age of inner-child consciousness; the age of the Fraggle, when Behind the Magic continues.

[BEGINNING OF CREDIT MONTAGE]

[Onscreen, various images and video pieces play à la VH1’s Behind the Music, with wording similar – including, but not limited to the following words: Outer Space, radish dust, gluttony, exposure, pigtails, banana trees, love, addiction, minstrels, etc…]

[END OF CREDIT MONTAGE]

NARRATOR: [As the Fraggle Rock intro plays onscreen, as well as various clips] They spent years bringing joy to the lives of many faces, and lots of energy keeping pace with a world that was developing rapidly. The cast of Fraggle Rock had much love and insight to give to the world, but they still had their own demons to tackle – priority one being that their everyday was now ours once a week.

GOBO: Gee whiz, our lives were normal up until the point the CBC and the crew from Henson came into the picture. One minute, I was sleeping in a bunk, and the next – well, I’m still sleeping in a bunk, but the point is…things changed. We were famous. Our pictures were everywhere and we were mobbed everywhere we went. Scores of screaming fans, I’ll tell you.

WEMBLEY: People were over us like slime on a doozer stick. It was nerve-racking. I can remember finishing up a day of shooting and walking back to my room, and I swear there must have been about sixty phone messages on my machine. “I love you, Wembley.” “Marry me, Wembley.” “Don’t forget milk and radishes, Wembley.” Very intense. Ever since that first episode I knew things were different. We were broadcasting our lives for the world to see.

NARRATOR: And see it they did. Throughout its glorious run on television, people were beckoned back every week to see more possible misadventures involving Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, and Red. Record Nielsen ratings were garnered by the show, and there were benefits galore for the group. Boober Fraggle –

BOOBER: When I heard about the show idea, I was skeptical. I mean, who would want to see me fold laundry and be neurotic every week? I couldn’t have been more misguided in my thoughts. But once things got rolling, I found out that I had quite a following. I’d get suspicious packages in the mail from people asking me to sign their tighty-whities. Very disconcerting…but hey – It was fame. Considering I don’t get much, I wasn’t about to pass this up! We all have our strange stories. Overall, it was a lot of fun.

NARRATOR: Indeed, the production was “fun,” but for how long? When we return…

MOKEY: There was a point somewhere around 1985 when I began to experiment – on all levels. Everything suffered: my personal life, work…even my poetry: (reading an excerpt from her book of poems)

“Radishes are red,
They’re so fun to chew –
I like peanut butter,
Can you swim?”

[Mokey stares at the camera in sad, sallow bewilderment]

NARRATOR: …when Behind the Magic continues.

Beebers

Reaction score
I love this - this could be the next "reality" show - follow the Fraggles around as they deal with Life After the Spotlight Shuts Off. This is cool. Next chapter imminent?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Very cool :smile: I would so like to see that on tv. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode of Behind the Laughter.

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Another Part

[NOTE: I think it would be cool to involve everyone here in this, to get a broader range of styles. Go ahead and add to this as you want everyone...]

[We open up with a shot from the episode “Wembley’s Wonderful Whoopie Water,” involving Wembley – at the beginning of “Pukka Pukka Pukka Squeetily Boink” - confronting his fellow Fraggles about the various interesting noises that he is privy to within the rock.]

WEMBLEY [O.S. – Over Video]: I remember the day we got the phone call from the studio. It was early still – Gobo was snoring away as usual in his bed. Mokey was getting some early morning poetry written out in the great hall.

[CUT TO: Wembley (profile)]

I had been up for a few hours at that point, and I was getting ready to go down to the fire station to put my thirty-minutes in – or was I? Come to think of it, I don’t quite remember what I was up to at that particular time. But I do remember the phone call…I think…

RED: Yes, I remember that phone call very well indeed. I had just finished a rousing game of Rockbeetle when my Lil’ Doozer phone rang in my room. It was some guy named Jim Henson, and he wanted to see if we’d be interested in turning our lives into a show for television. I immediately agreed and asked him about the production. He said that it would involve some of his Muppet…creature…things…whatever they were, and it would be a show about nothing but our life in general. I was clueless on the Muppets, but I hung on to the notion that he had something

MJTaylor

Reaction score
janicegroupie said:
Very cool :smile: I would so like to see that on tv. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode of Behind the Laughter.
You took the words right out of my mouth!