Fraggle Rock Fan-Fiction: Perfect Harmony

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
:zany: Wild applause! Wowy zowie... Prawny, points to you for using Jerry's version of Come and Follow Me. But this, the Fraggles materializing out of the music... You're going to have to explain that one bucco. As for the plan to get the Fraggles and Doozers rescued, I hope to read that soonish. Thank you... Post more!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Chapter 21

The six Fraggles stood inside the cave staring at one another.

"How… how did that happen?" Gobo asked.

"Magic is as Magic does," Cantus said.

Mokey nodded. "And miracles do what Magic does."

"The music connected us to the Magic and connected us to each other," Cantus said, "and it brought you through the cave-in."

Wembley walked up silently to Mokey and hugged her. Mokey smiled. "Oh, little Wembley, you were so brave."

Wembley looked up at Mokey. "I don’t really even know what I did."

Red walked up to Wembley, looking down at her feet. "You were right Wembley," Red said softly. "I—I’m sorry."

"I say, did Red Fraggle just apologize to someone?" Traveling Matt asked. "It must be a miracle!"

The Fraggles laughed and Cantus looked at Gobo. "We are not finished yet," Cantus said. "The rest of the Fraggles, along with the Doozers, are in great peril."

Mokey nodded and moved to stand next to Cantus. "We’ve got to help them and perfect Perfect Harmony," she said.

"Now Mokey’s starting to sound like Cantus," Red said.

Gobo was watching the five Fraggles back and forth. "C’mon guys," he said finally. "Let’s get out there and save our friends!"

>< >< >< >< ><

Junior couldn’t ever remember being this nervous before. Of course, he’d never been involved in a secret plot with the entire Fraggle population of Fraggle Rock along with its entire Doozer population. Did he mention that this plan would probably cause Pa to banish him from the kingdom? That’s kind of an important detail.

"Don’t fret ya big lummox," World’s Oldest Fraggle said from the cage he and about twenty other Fraggles were being kept in.

"I’m sure it’ll work," Flange said from Junior’s pocket. "Once we’re all free, everything will be fine."

"If you say so liddow Doozah," Junior said.

Up on top of Fraggle Rock, Philo and Gunge sat munching on a radish. "So Philo," Gunge said. "Whatcha wanna bet that the dumb Gorg kid messes this up?"

"I betcha three banana peels and an orange rind that the Fraggles come out on top," Philo said.

"Heh, what a chump bet," Gunge said. "You’re on!"

"Hey, hey, I want in this too!" a pink Fraggle wearing a pilot’s helmet shouted up from his cage. "Three radishes against the Fraggles!"

"And who’re you?" Philo asked.

"Name’s Rumple Fraggle, c’mon, c’mon, lemme bet with ya!" Rumple begged.

"Oh alright, fine," Gunge said. "But only ‘cause you’re bettin’ on the right side. Heh heh." Gunge nudged Philo, "Now d’ere’s a smart better," he said.

"Hewe comes daddy," Junior said. "Awe you ready mistah Fwaggle?"

"Yes I’m ready! Sheesh! Where’s Henchy when I need something to whack?" World’s Oldest asked.

"Comfortably over here," Henchy called over happily to World’s Oldest from another cage.

"Figures," World’s Oldest muttered. "Oops, show time!" he laughed. He tossed his cane behind his head and fell to the floor of the cage. "Rose… bud…"

Junior let out a long, well rehearsed gasp. "Daddy! My gosh daddy, the Fwaggle! He’s dead, daddy! He’s dead!"

Pa shook his head. "Junior, how many times do I have-ta tell ya, just ‘cause a Fraggle’s eyes are closed and he’s layin’ down, he’s not—Sweet Gorg! That Fraggle’s dead!"

One of the Fraggles in the same cage as World’s Oldest blinked. "I thought he was just lying down with his eyes closed," the nameless Fraggle whispered to another.

The other Fraggle thought about this. "Oh no… he was supposed to be! He must actually be dead! Oh no! World’s Oldest! He’s dead!"

The Fraggles shed tears of woe for their supposedly dead comrade.

Unfortunately, that comrade was not really dead. For if he had been, he wouldn’t be tempted to jump up and scold the dumb Fraggles surrounding him.

"C’mon everyone," another Fraggle said. "Let’s sing the funeral dirge Boober wrote and sing it for World’s Oldest’s passing."

Oh no
, World’s Oldest thought. I can’t resist a good honky-tonk dance!

"When my time to go is here
Call my friends to gather near
Tell the doctor and the preacher
That I’m failing."

"Time to pick up the tempo!"

Oh no…
World’s Oldest groaned. A funeral dirge you can dance to, what a ridiculous idea!

"Junior, what are those Fraggles doin’?" Pa asked.

"I—I don’t know," Junior said. "D’is wasn’t part of the plan," he mumbled.

"But forget about your black
‘Cause I’m planning to come back
Play some honky-tonkin’ grief
And Dixie Wailin’."

The World’s Oldest Fraggle’s leg twitched as the song increased in tempo. He gulped quietly; this wasn’t going to be good.

"Pick me up and lay me down
And spread the news all over town
And tell ‘em all to come
Or they’ll be sorry.

"Pick me up and shake me twice
I’m comin’ back from paradise
This poor boy is here
To live in glory."

Boober, seeing this from another cage gasped. "No, no, slow down! Stop! You’re messing it up! You’re ruining it!" he shouted.

"Boober, I’m sure the plan will still work," Cotterpin said.

"No, no, not the plan, the song! They’re ruining my song!" Boober said.

"When it’s time to say goodbye
All my friends will sit and cry
And they’ll watch the coffin
Rockin’ ‘round and squirmin’.

"Then they’ll raise a mighty shout
As my bones come marchin’ out
And I raise myself and preach
The final sermon."

That was the final bar World’s Oldest could take.

The surprisingly limber old Fraggle jumped to his feet and began to dance around the cage. He was fast for an old Fraggle, and blew away all of the others. The Fraggles cheered wildly as their old leader regained the consciousness he’d never lost.

"What the—Junior, that Fraggle isn’t dead! You were tryin’ to bamboozle me! Why I oughta—" Pa shouted.

Junior had been boiling this up inside long enough, it was time to serve the soup. "Not today, daddy!" Junior shouted. He grabbed the doors of two Fraggle cages on either side of him, and ripped them open.

Fraggles flooded the Gorg’s garden as they ran to the other cages to release their friends. "Hey, why’d we stop singin’?" World’s Oldest asked.

The Fraggles continued to sing the chorus of the song as Pa watched, dumbfounded, as Fraggles filled his world.

"Junior… what’d ya go an’ do that for?" Pa asked.

"The Fwaggles awe my fwiends daddy!" Junior shouted. "And now the Doozahs awe too! And I won’t let you keep d’em locked up, nuh uh, no way!"

"When the Earth begins to quake
From the shakin’ at my wake
I’ll be here and makin’ music
Like a live one."

"Fraggles… Doozers… your friends? Junior, are you nuts? Fraggles and Doozers should be bowin’ down to us! Not bein’ our friends!"

"Well why not?" Junior asked. "D’ere’s nothin’ wong with Fwaggles and Doozahs! They’re just like you, and like me! Except smallah! We’ve got to learn to live togethah!"

Inside the castle, Ma screeched as Fraggles flooded in to release her cooking slaves, but the music and joyous singing of the Fraggles was too loud for her to be heard.

"Still our honky-tonkin’ grief
Gives the angels sweet relief
‘Cause they know that
Dixie Wailin’s still survivin’."

"So, um, ya wanna pay me now, or later?" Philo asked Gunge.

Gobo ran to the edge of the hole leading out to the garden ahead of the other Fraggles. He stared down at the mayhem below. "I don’t know what Perfect Harmony looks like," he said to himself, "but I doubt this is it."

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... :smirk:, how little you know of music's mysterious ways. Why, it comes to you like a mysterious and invisible... A mysterious and invisible... :coy: A mysterious an invisible what? I dunno, it was so mysterious and invisible, I didn't see it. Dixie Wailin', one of my FR songs. You done good chest of drawers. Now pick up the tempo and bring it home!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<Finishes reading>

<Decides to glomp Prawnie>

<Falls asleep>

...<Wakes up>

<signs raincheck on glomp>

Also... Jerry's song... lump in throat, tears in eyes.

<goes back to sleep>

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
What? No "More Please!" from the beloved other half?
Boober: The world's coming to an end! I just knew it!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
WOW! Two chapters? Be still my heart! The magic is just amazing and I loved Dixie Wailing and I don't have enough words to express how much I'm enjoying this story Prawnie. Just know that you've made a Fraggle fan very happy. :smile: Can't wait to read the next part.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Chapter 22

Doc wrestled with something sitting on his desk in the apartment. He seemed to be trying to pry it free of something with a screwdriver in his hand. At the side wall, Sprocket stood scratching around the large hole, whining.

"Sprocket old boy," Doc said to his dog, "you need to try and focus on something else. I’m sure the Fraggles will be fine and Gobo and the others will come back to tell us all about it as soon as they can."

Sprocket whimpered and stopped scratching at the wall. He looked around the cluttered apartment looking for something to do. With all of the random stuff Doc kept around surely Sprocket could find something to occupy his mind.

"Come on now," Doc said, "surely there’s something you can do, Sprocket. I, for instance, am attempting to sew a button on a fried egg while it’s stapled to my desk." Sprocket tilted his head and looked with a confused gaze at Doc. "No, I don’t know how it got stapled to the desk," Doc said.

Sprocket chuckled and stood up on two legs putting his front paws on Doc’s desk. Doc reached over and rustled his hand through Sprocket’s shaggy gray-white fur. "Oh Sprocket," Doc said, "I sure missed you while you were off running around. What were you and the Fraggles looking for, anyway?"

Sprocket scratched his head, trying to figure out how to communicate this to Doc. He began to pantomime traveling by marching around the apartment, and then pantomimed Fraggle by scrunching down on the floor and pointing at the hole in the wall.

"Ah ha, I see," Doc said. "Gobo’s uncle Traveling Matt was missing so you set off with the Fraggles to find him?"

Sprocket nodded happily and continued to pantomime his story. He pointed at Doc then pointed at a globe sitting on Doc’s desk and motioned toward the location of Doc’s old workshop.

"Our old home?" Doc asked. "There’s no way you could’ve gotten there in the time you were gone, Sprocket."

Sprocket shook his head and ran over to Doc’s garbage pail and began to rustle through it, finally pulling out a postcard near the bottom. Sprocket pretended to read over it.

"Oh I see, you heard about the old workshop in a postcard," Doc said. "What about it?"

Sprocket pointed to the Fraggle Hole again and then made a groaning, dying sound and wrapped his hands around his neck, pretending to choke.

"Ned Shimmelfinny has a Fraggle hole? What does that have to do with—"

Sprocket shook his head vigorously and waved his arms. Sprocket pointed to the Fraggle hole, then fell over and pulled a white lily out of nowhere and held it at his chest.

Doc rushed out of his chair. "You mean to tell me that someone at my old workshop is trying to kill off the Fraggles?"

Sprocket jumped up from the floor and nodded quickly. Doc looked around and grabbed the telephone on his desk. "I’ll call Ms. Ardath, Sprocket, she’ll want to know what’s going on," Doc said dialing in a number he knew all too well.

Doc put the phone to his ear and looked sternly at the wall. Then suddenly he fumbled with the phone to turn it off. Sprocket barked questioningly at Doc. "Well what if she doesn’t believe me Sprocket," Doc said. "It’s not like Fraggles are just walking up and down the sidewalks in town everyday!"

Sprocket frowned and glared at Doc. "Alright, well they were today—but that doesn’t count! I can’t possibly get Ms. Ardath to believe that furry little creatures that sing and dance and play games are living behind the walls of her Inn."

Sprocket glared at Doc again and started barking at him. "Oh, come on Sprocket, don’t do this to me," Doc said. "I don’t want to jeopardize my relationship with Ms. Ardath now."

Sprocket smirked and barked a retort. "Of course I have a relationship with Ms. Ardath," Doc said defensively.

Sprocket barked something back at Doc. "I am not afraid to talk to her over the phone, Sprocket," Doc said. "I just know she wouldn’t believe me."

"Mm-hm," Sprocket said, nodding sarcastically.

Doc’s face grew angry. "Fine!" he shouted, picking the phone back up and re-dialing the number. "Ms. Ardath? It’s Doc," he said into the phone. He cleared his throat. "Yes, it’s Jerome."

Sprocket chuckled to himself as Doc spoke to Ms. Ardath.

>< >< >< >< ><

Gobo couldn’t wait any longer, he ran out of Fraggle Rock and into the Gorg’s garden.

He pushed his way through waves of cheering and singing Fraggles, being careful not to step on any wandering Doozers.

Gobo’s target was at the center of the garden. The gargantuan brown mountain known as Junior Gorg stood there, an intimidating, ever-present force Gobo was finally ready to conquer.

The confusion of the moment may have been highest within the mind of young Gobo Fraggle, who hadn’t witnessed any of the previous events of the day and only knew that the Fraggles were, he thought, at war with the Gorgs.

And Junior was indeed a Gorg.

Gobo blew past Boober and Sidebottom as he ran towards Junior. "Hey, I think that was Gobo!" Boober said. "What’s Gobo doing here?"

Sidebottom shrugged. "I dunno, but it looks like he’s headed for the big lummox of a Gorg over there!" Sidebottom said.

"Oh I hope this doesn’t lead to another song," Boober said.

Gobo had no idea how he was going to get to the eye level with Junior Gorg, but he knew he had to somehow. He saw a rock sitting near Junior’s foot, and he took the opportunity when it presented itself. Gobo jumped off the side of the Rock, gaining enough altitude to make him able to grab the bottom of Junior’s heavy tan shirt.

Junior looked down at the almost unrecognizable feeling of something on his shirt. "Oh lookie there," Junior said happily. "It’s Gobo!"

Gobo did not look nearly as happy to see Junior as he climbed up the shirt and finally reached the collar. Gobo tightened his grip around Junior’s shirt collar and pushed himself up to eye-level with the massive Gorg by placing his legs into Junior’s chest.

Gobo stared right into the mammoth black pupils of Junior Gorg. Junior stared back at the significantly smaller black pupils of Gobo Fraggle.

"Is somet’ing wong, Gobo?" Junior asked innocently.

Gobo took a deep breath and prepared to speak to Junior. Whatever he said here had to be tactful and heartfelt and meaningful. He stared into Junior’s eyes again. The Fraggles and Doozers scattered around the garden had instantly silenced.

"Dance your cares away."

Junior blinked as Gobo spoke. "Whadaya mean?" he asked after a few seconds.

"You Gorgs need to quit taking out all your problems on we Fraggles," Gobo said. "Dance your cares away! Why don’t you just leave us alone?"

Junior blinked again. "But—but Gobo, d’at’s what I’m twyin’ to convince daddy to do!" Junior said.

Gobo’s face softened and his grip on Junior’s shirt collar loosened. "Y—you are?" Gobo asked.

"He sure is!" shouted the World’s Oldest Fraggle from the ground far below. "This big fella saved us all from these here cages!"

"He saved the Doozers too, Gobo," Cotterpin called up.

Gobo looked around as all of the Fraggles and all of the Doozers shouted agreements at Gobo. He saw Uncle Traveling Matt, Mokey, Wembley, Red, and Cantus join up with Boober and a Fraggle he recognized as Sidebottom along with a small Doozer family at their feet. "Oh," Gobo said, "sorry about that Junior."

Junior shrugged and smiled at Gobo. "Don’t wowwy about it pal," Junior said, putting an open palm at his chest, letting Gobo fall into it. "I know you mean well."

Gobo smiled back at the Gorg. "Yeah," Gobo said with a nod.

"Does that mean we’ve reached Perfect Harmony?" Mokey asked Cantus, diverting her attention away from Gobo and Junior for a moment.

Cantus looked around the garden. "Almost," he said. "We’re nearly there, but there are still a few minds left to be convinced."

"What?" Mokey asked. "Who? Whose mind needs to be convinced still?"

"Did someone call for convincin’?" asked Convincing John as he and the three Fragglettes popped up behind the group of Fraggles.

"Haven’t you helped enough?" Boober asked.

Cantus put a calming hand on Boober’s shoulder. "I’ll handle this young Fraggle," Cantus said.

Cantus turned to Convincing John and smiled a smile that penetrated the hard outer-shell of the rambling Fraggle. "John, did you really support this idea of war?" Cantus asked.

John’s eyes grew solemn as he spoke with Cantus, almost as if he’d taken off a mask. "No, not really old friend," John said. "But you know how I am," John said with a chuckle. "I can’t make my own decisions, so whenever someone comes to me with a decision they want made, I bite it hook, line, and sinker!"

Cantus smiled and patted Convincing John’s back. "I understand my friend," Cantus said. "Just try and have some better judgment next time, if a next time is granted to you."

"Wow," Wembley mumbled. "There’s something ya don’t see every day."

Cantus turned his attention to Wembley. "And as for you young wembler—"

"Me?" Wembley asked, frightened. "Wh-what about me?"

"You are no longer a young wembler," Cantus said. "You’ve made decisions today, decisions that may have saved us all."

Wembley shook his head. "No, no, not me," Wembley said.

"Yeah, Wembley will forever be a wembler," Boober said. "It’s in his name!"

"What’s in a name?" Cantus asked. "More importantly, what’s in your name?"

Boober frowned as Red and Sidebottom laughed hysterically.

Wembley blushed. "Aw," he said sheepishly. "Well—I didn’t really—Red helped," he said finally.

"Indeed she did," Cantus said. "Red Fraggle proved today that bravery is in all of us."

"Oh Red!" Mokey said happily, hugging her best friend.

Junior knelt down next to the group of Fraggles with Gobo still in his hand. "So who still needs to believe in Perfect Harmony, Cantus?" Gobo asked.

"Yes, yes, tell us Cantus," Traveling Matt said. "Who is it?"

The answer came as Pa Gorg burst through the castle doors grasping his blunderbuss in his hands. His eyes were wide as he looked helplessly around his precious domain. "Alright you Fraggles," he shouted, "your time has come!"

World’s Oldest Fraggle jumped to the center of the garden and pointed his stick at Pa. "We’re not goin’ anywhere!" World’s Oldest shouted. "I say it’s time we took care of you!"

"They are the two," Cantus said quietly, slipping away from the group of Fraggles whose eyes were glued on the situation that had just heated up.

Cantus turned around and walked calmly towards the home of Marjory the Trash Heap.

Philo and Gunge observed this from their place atop Fraggle Rock. "Where do ya t’ink he’s goin’?" Gunge asked.

"Who knows?" Philo asked. "Just pass me another radish, this is getting intense!"