Fraggle Rock String Dolls

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Those are hideous and look like the kind of thing that will end up on the Tough-Pigs ugly toy contest. Who is going to buy this? Why is the Jim Henson company licensing Fraggle Rock for this and not, say, ANYTHING ELSE?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Red's got the lips like Jagger, she's got the lips like Jagger...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those are hideous and look like the kind of thing that will end up on the Tough-Pigs ugly toy contest. Who is going to buy this? Why is the Jim Henson company licensing Fraggle Rock for this and not, say, ANYTHING ELSE?
Someone would have to want to acquire a license to a 30 year old cable show. That's why the only things we've seen are high end and designery. String Dolls are apparently a thing, and they have DC comic ones (that look much better, but are essentially just regular string doll things in Batman and Harley Quinn suits so there's less room for error). I guess these are (overpriced) charms that you connect to your cell phone somehow.

But, yeah... it sucks that we can't get a major toy making company (even a third party) to make anything Fraggley, but they'd want to think a license of an old TV show is worth the money and could sell. Personally, I'd want Funko Pop type things.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Someone would have to want to acquire a license to a 30 year old cable show. That's why the only things we've seen are high end and designery. String Dolls are apparently a thing, and they have DC comic ones (that look much better, but are essentially just regular string doll things in Batman and Harley Quinn suits so there's less room for error). I guess these are (overpriced) charms that you connect to your cell phone somehow.

But, yeah... it sucks that we can't get a major toy making company (even a third party) to make anything Fraggley, but they'd want to think a license of an old TV show is worth the money and could sell. Personally, I'd want Funko Pop type things.
I guess you're right, I suppose I'd just rather see something along the lines of the much-delayed coffee table book or even a refreshed plush line if we're talking high-end. I know it's hard for them to find outlets for merchandise, but these things are just ugly.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess you're right, I suppose I'd just rather see something along the lines of the much-delayed coffee table book or even a refreshed plush line if we're talking high-end. I know it's hard for them to find outlets for merchandise, but these things are just ugly.

Heh. I don't think there's any logical way to make these things look good. Maybe if they were like, five feet tall or something. I guess this is for that small overlap of Venn Diagram that both remember Fraggle Rock and like string dolls. I don't see the appeal on either side other wise ... I mean, these things are 10 bucks! 5 bucks, sure... but 10?!?!

Other than that, Fraggle Rock's least accessibility of the main 3 Muppet Franchises doesn't lend itself out well to mainstream products. I really miss the days of Sababa Toys and finding them at Target, Marshalls/TJ Maxx and KB Toys. We have a decent (at best) looking plush toy assortment that only retails at Yuppie toy stores. And that's the most accessible of the bunch. And that darn coffee table book is taking its time (wonder if its going to be released at all, since they keep moving the goal post). It would have been great if the Doozers series popped up on something that's not hulu. I coulda seen this thing on The Hub, and having Hasbro release small Doozer figures like the Sesame Street Buddy Packs.

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Stuff like this always makes me feel better about my creative abilities :smirk: Those are just silly.