Frank and Jerry only working on Sesame

zns

Reaction score
I think I might be able to clear something up here. According to an interview with Ken Plume, Frank tries to distance himself from the Muppets because he is afraid of getting too much popularity with that kind of work. He is a very private man and he jsut feels that this is best for him. The reason why Jerry has only been working on Sesame Street for the last few years is because now that Disney owns the Muppets and he just cannot go through so much pressure as he did during the Muppet Show days.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Frank Oz wants to immerse himself more in his directing career. He has retired altogether from the Muppets but occassionally will go and play one of his old characters on Sesame Street. Jerry Nelson retired from his Muppet Show characters only. He is still doing Sesame Street.
I can understand about Frank wanted to immerse himself in his directing career, I'm fine with that, he's a great director! (Have any of you seen "The Indian and the Cupboard"?, he directed that and it's a good movie). But what I can't understand is why anyone would want to retired from working with the Muppets. Wasn't it Kermit Love who warned Caroll Spinney that it was a once in a life time opportunity is work with them? Wasn't it you all who told me that Karen Prell wasn't able to come back after she left for a little while?

zns

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I can understand about Frank wanted to immerse himself in his directing career, I'm fine with that, he's a great director! (Have any of you seen "The Indian and the Cupboard"?, he directed that and it's a good movie). But what I can't understand is why anyone would want to retired from working with the Muppets. Wasn't it Kermit Love who warned Caroll Spinney that it was a once in a life time opportunity is work with them? Wasn't it you all who told me that Karen Prell wasn't able to come back after she left for a little while?
These people are old enough to make their own decisions. If they decide to retire from the Muppets, it is their choice. I'm also sure that they keep in close contact wit the people there. Frank also mentioned in that interveiw that he considers the people at Henson his "second family" and he plans to stay "with them for life", despite that fact that he rarely shows up. I think it is best for us to respect the puppeteers and other people with the company who feel as if they cannot stay there forever. But that's just my opinion.

BEAR

Reaction score
Well, as far as Carroll Spinney is concerned, we all know that he will not retire until he absolutely has to. He is much to close to his 2 characters to just leave them and he loves what he is doing.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Aw, that's too bad, I'll miss Frank's Grover, but sadly, when watching A Celebration of Me, Grover, it sounded like Frank was starting to get out of Grover practice.
That was actually Eric Jacobson's Grover on A Celebration of Me, Grover. When I first herd his voice on season 32, I thought the same thing, not realising that Frank Oz was not present during that Season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
That was actually Eric Jacobson's Grover on A Celebration of Me, Grover. When I first herd his voice on season 32, I thought the same thing, not realising that Frank Oz was not present during that Season.
No I meant in the inserts he did Grover, like during the scene where they have a montage of Grover hugging with all those little kids, there were some new clips in there with Frank's Grover.