Frank and Jim not good singers?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I read in the book Jim Henson the Works that Frank and Jim both claimed to not be good singers and they were very nervous about singing on the show, and either of them thought it would be a good idea for either of them to have there charachters sing songs. Now what puzzles me here is I think Both Jim and Frank have excellent singing voices, and I think their charachters did just fine at singing. Some of their best singing performances were

I don't wanna live on the moon (Ernie)
If moon was cookie (Cookie Monster)
That's Love (Bert)
My favorite number is 6 (Bert)
It's not easy being Green (Kermit)
Sometimes me think what is friend (Cookie Monster)
I wish I had a friend to play with me (Bert)

I think the 2 of them were just being modest, or they weren't all that confident about their singing abilities. What do you all think about their singing voices?

Xela

Reaction score
Yeah! Rainbow Connection might be the most recognized of all! Plus, it's a good song. :smile:

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I have a terrible voice when it comes to singing, but when I use my character voices the off key notes become tolerable to listen too.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think they are fine singers. I don't think Cookie Monster singing is the best example of Frank having a great singing voice, but I see what you mean. Whenever Frank performed Bert or Fozzie, his singing shined through more as they were not so brash and charactery. Jim Henson has a great singing voice. His speaking is beautiful enough in it self. He was very soft spoken when performing characters like Ernie and Kermit. Those are his best singing characters. The Muppeteer who is best known for his singing has always been Jerry Nelson. Jim Henson has even noted what an incredible singer he is. Nelson's voice is so well control and very recordable. I think that every one of his characters have a special musical quality to them and always pleasing to listen to. Richard Hunt I would say the same thing about. Carroll Spinney's voice is another good one. Even as Oscar he sounds good. Always very clear.

BEAR

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
I have a terrible voice when it comes to singing, but when I use my character voices the off key notes become tolerable to listen too.
It just shows how different it is when you are singing as yourself or as another person.:wink: They say that people who can do a lot of voices are often great singers.

BEAR

Reaction score
Also, this is the first I have heard about Jim Henson being insecure about singing. I know that Frank Oz was very insecure about singing as Miss Piggy in the beginning. I don't think he did all of her singing for the first movie. I do know that Dave Goelz was the one who was always shy about singing. I believe he talked about it on the Fraggle Rock dvd interview. I don't think Boober sang much at first. Anyone else wanna add to this?

superfan

Reaction score
I have a making of the Muppet Show special on tape and I recall the narrator saying that all the performers (without muppets) were shy and humble. As soon as a Muppet was on their hands, they instantly came to life and were confident about the silly and manic interactions they had with others. It would definately make sense that if you hide behind a character who is vibrant and fun, other aspects of your personality can improve (such as singing) and confidence levels. Actors and comedians experience the exact same thing.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Jm and Frank were both good singers as their characters, but maybe they weren't so good singing with their normal voices

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
they may not be awsome singers (though I always thought Jim was) BUT can you imagine how hard it is to sing, not only in your voice good, but in there puppets voice?! that just blows my mind! and not just one, no, a bunch of diffrent voices, I think that is quite the talent