Frank Oz

Frogster

Reaction score
I was reading the post "Worst Muppet Film," and the last thing I read was about how Frank seems to have turned his back on the Muppets. I actually agree, and if he were to turn on the Muppets, I think it would be due to the fact that he's dissapointed with the 'success' of them today. But when the Muppets may be at their worst, they need all the help they can get, and Frank would be the best help of all. I mean, first Jim then Richard, and Jerry's health isn't what it used to be, and the only one of the originals that's left is Dave Goelz, who, annoyingly, has kind of taken over the Muppets with the help of Steve Whitmire. And now we got Eric Jacobson, Kevin Clash, and even Brian Henson helping out. No offense, but these guys don't hold a candle. No wonder why my friends make fun of the Muppets today. Look at them and how child-like they are. I agree, however, that times are changing, but these are puppets, not real people. Puppets don't change over time; people do. And the puppets should be kept the same as they were all these years ago. And I don't like seeing Frank Oz, the second-in-command, being missing from all the action. But that's my two cents...

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Frogster said:
Puppets don't change over time; people do.
The people who make up society and the audience do change over time. If the Muppets never changed and evolved they would die out.

I don't think Frank has "turned his back" on the Muppets. He is directing, producing and working on many other non-muppet projects. Why? Because he enjoys to challenge himself and do new things. He still does segments for Sesame Street and enjoys puppeeting but he does not have the time. He is also 60 years old and can't spend all day with an arm over his head making funny voices. Frank still loves the muppets and what they are doing.

Puppeteers come and go. Jim and Richard died, there is nothing we can do about that. We can either see their puppets disappear, or be kept alive by new people. Others move on due to age and other interest such as Jerry and Frank. We can either see their puppets leave with them, or be kept active by new people. New puppeteers come such as Bill, Brian, and Eric they may not seem as good as the originals at first but remeber they are new (look at some of Jim and Franks early works and compair them to the new guys stuff). There will be change. Change is good!

frogster said:
And the puppets should be kept the same as they were all these years ago.
The Muppets, weather you agree or not, to surive in the media of today need to do what sells. It's a little sad, but audiences of today would much rather watch a film like "Muppets From Space" than one like "The Muppet Movie". If they Muppets want to surrive they need to do what sells, otherwise they will become exstinct. It may be disheartning to those who expect the Muppets to stay at the same level of exceptance, but as time goes on what is and is not appropriate changes, and the Muppet do to. The Muppets are not more "adult" now, audiences of today are. As the societychanges, so will the Muppets. It may be sad and disturbing, but it is what needs to be done to survive. Call it selling out, call it stupid, call it whatever you want, but it is putting more money in the pockets of the decision makers so I doubt they will change their ways. They do what sells, and that's the way the industry is.

There are two main reasons why the Electric Mayham band is not a big as before. First Jim's passing left a void in the role of Dr. Teeth, but second (and maybe more importantly) it is because in today's world (the year 2004) a 60's/70's hippie rock band (with organ, trumpet, bass, sax, guitar, drum) is not a popular part of culture. Just the look and style of Dr. Teeth's character does not fit the culture of today's music scene (it did in the time of the Muppet Movie and Muppet Show).

Jim wanted the Muppets to connect with the audience and entertain all people. If the Muppet stuck to their 1970's style they would not get the kids of the "SpongeBob" generation. That's not to say people of today would not enjoy the older muppet progams or style today, but to really get the whole market they need to do what the whole (or the largest part) of the market wants.

We are in a transition time, the original Muppeteers are moving on (or have moved on) and a new core is moving in (or has moved in). It takes time to get use to, but it is either except them as replacements of old character (as well as their new characters) or see the Muppets disapear. I personally think all the current Muppeteers are great, it is change, and change is good.

The Original 6 Muppeteer Core: :sympathy:
1) Jim Henson
2) Frank Oz
3) Jerry Nelson
4) Richard Hunt
5) Dave Goelz
6) Steve Whitmire

The 6 Core Muppeteers: The Second Generation: :rolleyes:
1) Steve Whitmire
2) Dave Goelz
3) Bill Baretta
4) Eric Jacobson
5) Brian Henson
6) Kevin Clash

Brian and Kevin, although they were around in the "old school" days and did a lot of great work, they was not a core muppeteer at the time. It was not until Kevin did Clifford, the Baby on Dinosaurs, the Elmos explosion, and he got some core replacement roles did he became big and have his own core characters. Same with Brian; he was around and doing great things but untill Dr. Phil, Sal, and his replacement roles did he become an essental and core Muppete proformer. There are tons of muppeteers now (and have been a lot), but I think the core muppeteer staff has only been around six guys. Things change. Change is good.

Kermit the Frog once said he wanted to make millions of people happy, to do this the Muppets have to do what makes the people of happy today. Not what makes people happy 30 years ago, and not just what makes a few hard-core fans fans. What makes the most people happy. This means change. and -you guessed it- change is good! :zany:

I love what the muppets are doing now. I love the old stuff too. The old Muppet productions from the 60's and 70's are great, but the new ones of today are just as great. Things change, CHANGE IS GOOD!

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
Frank moved onto other things and we just have to realize how fortunate we were to see such a talented person's work for so many years. Also, I don't get your comment about how Dave Goelz has "annoyingly taken over the Muppets." You're mad at Frank for moving onto other things, but then you said it's annoying that Dave is still around. He hasn't taken over anything. He's doing the same characters he always has except for adding Waldorf. We should be very glad that he is continuing to do a great job, even as he gets older. And the new guys like Eric and Bill Barretta are doing a fantastic job. Bill is the puppeteer captain and is co-producing the next movie. He has also taken over many of the characters that have been lost because their performers are no longer around. We should be glad that the JHC found such talented people to replace the departed ones. :stick_out_tongue:

Frogster

Reaction score
I'm not annoyed that Dave's still around; I just think that Gonzo and Rizzo have taken the place of Kermit and Piggy. I LOVE Gonzo, as well as the rest of Dave's characters. It's just that I feel as if Gonzo's been overused, as well as Rizzo, and there's not much Fozzie these days, with the exception of Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. That's all. I don't mean any disrespect to him, whatsoever! Heck, if I become a puppeteer, which is what I'm hoping to do, I'd be honored to work with these people in the Jim Henson company. And I don't think Frank turned his back; that's just what the post I read had said. I just think Frank has simply left the picture.

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
Frogster said:
I was reading the post "Worst Muppet Film," and the last thing I read was about how Frank seems to have turned his back on the Muppets. I actually agree, and if he were to turn on the Muppets, I think it would be due to the fact that he's dissapointed with the 'success' of them today.
Actually you did say Frank turned his back. :attitude:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Frank where to start, ok well if you read his interview on ign he says that working with the muppets was just like any job a "job". He pushed him self to the limite and all that, so i could see how that would be tireing to an older person.
Plus we have to think Jim Henson was Frank's best friend and co worker. with him gone it probly just did'nt feel the same any more for him. So im not to upset about what kind of things he has done. I'm just thankfull there is someone filling in his place. :embarrassed:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Frogster said:
The only one of the originals that's left is Dave Goelz, who, annoyingly, has kind of taken over the Muppets with the help of Steve Whitmire. And now we got Eric Jacobson, Kevin Clash, and even Brian Henson helping out.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Kevin Clash and Brian Henson have been "helping out"since the 80's. They worked in the Jim-era and continue to do a great job. Kevin was doing Elmo, Clifford, and other long before Jim passed on, and Brian was doing great work directing and puppeteering projects back then too. Eric is one of the newest but he has yet to get his own original character. Also Dave is not to only of the originals left, Steve is there too (and their are other not as big muppeteers still active too). They have not "taken over" the Muppets. Sure Gonzo and Rizzo are a bit more visible now, but I think they would be anyway as the Muppets grew thoses characters have slowly been getting bigger roles and attention (pre-Jim's passing and Frank's leaving). Both Dave and Steve are excellet puppeteers and performers and I love having them with their hands in the Muppets (no pun intended)

Frogster

Reaction score
By 'helping out' that was just a loose term for are more visible with puppets now than they were before. I'm well aware about what Brian and Kevin have done in the past. I may have been young, but I still remember things like "The Jim Henson Hour." And about that comment about Frank: I meant to say that I could see where the person who wrote the comment would think that... I do not believe he turned his back, and I also said, if he were to turn his back, that would be the reason. I can see how you would think this; obviously I should've paid attention to what I was writing. I have no problem with what Frank does; he's one of the most creative people I've ever known. Also, this post was not meant to be a put-down of the new puppeteers of the Jim Henson Company. However, my opinion of the Muppets today has changed. I wasn't born in the seventies, so I'm stuck with buying those Muppet Show 25th Anniversary DVD's every six months. I hate how I see people all around me talk about the Muppets. They think that they're just for preschoolers, and some of them have no idea how really spectacular they were back then. And how popular!
And when you have new people puppeteering old characters, their personalities aren't quite the same. For instance, Kermit: I think Steve's doing an okay job, but if you listen, and I mean really listen, you'll notice that the Kermit we once new- the brave and straightfoward leader of the pack- has been somewhat toned down. I really noticed it in that music video with Weezer, when the drummer was missing, and Kermit said he knew what to do in a time like this, and he just yelled in a panic manner, it was an odd feeling I had, because Kermit's more reserved than that. Okay, I admit, in the Star Wars episode of the Muppet Show, he does go into a panic, but that was just a joke that was needed for that scene. I didn't see him get overly hopped up when Piggy turned to stone in the Tony Randall episode. He was edgy at first, then decided to calm down, and he tried to help turn her back. Or what about in the Dudley Moore episode, when the MAMMA robot blew up half the theatre? He just said, "It's been a terrific show, barred only by the fact we blew up half the theatre." Or in The Muppet Movie, there's the scene when the car breaks down. He walks off by himself, talking about how he's let everyone down. He doesn't panic about the car being broke down, or the fact that he won't make it to the auditions. He just gets sad about it, and in the end, he realizes that he has promised himself something...
I'm not saying that the Kermit that we see today is an out-of-control, panicky character. Steve's doing what he can; I'm aware he isn't Jim! And all I want is to see Kermit, no matter who's performing him. And that goes for all the other characters, as well. All I want to make sure of is that when I'm old, I can still expect to see the Muppets in my life. And I'm sure that's a thing that all of us can agree on.