Free Patterns for Absolute Newbies?

SurfPark

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a free pattern that would allow a newbie to explore puppet construction. I think the end products of Project Puppet look great, but I wanted to start with something more simple, and perhaps less work. Aside from attaching a pair of eyes to a sock, is there an easy design I could work with?

Blink

Reaction score
SurfPark said:
Just wondering if anyone has a free pattern that would allow a newbie to explore puppet construction. I think the end products of Project Puppet look great, but I wanted to start with something more simple, and perhaps less work. Aside from attaching a pair of eyes to a sock, is there an easy design I could work with?
Hey SurfPark,

Aside from a simple "sock type" puppet like the Blue Boy pattern, I would say that if you want a foam puppet, Project Puppet patterns are some of the easiest puppets to build. In fact I am working with elementary school children (ages 7 - 10) using the patterns (yes Project Puppet has given me the green light to do the project). I must say that aside from my constant "mother hen" worrying about the hot glue, these children have had very little problems.

For my money there are few easier puppet (with the quality results) than these puppets. In fact one day I will challenge myself to see how fast I can actually build one of the puppets (I think we are talking less than a day; maybe hours).

Depending on how simple your design is, you could easily finish in a couple of days. There is very little sewing as well. In fact if you use the machine there are only straight sewing paths in the pattern. Very easy to do.

If you are interested in something different or "easier" then just check out these links.

If you have the time, check out John Kennedy's books Puppet Mania and Puppet Planet. They should definately have what you want. Not sure if they actually have patterns or not. One of the students in my workshop has the book and loves it.

I wish you luck...and fun.

SurfPark

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to give this a stab sometime this week and post up my results.