Full size Bodysuit puppets?

solo409

Reaction score
Any one ever come across info on building a bodysuit puppet, like Big Bird or the Skeksis? All I have been able to find are sites devoted to Mascot-type costumes....thanks!
---Nate

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think that's the best you will do, I've only ever seen mascot info - which is in fact quite helpful. Full body puppets like Big Bird are just really mascots with puppet heads.

The Skeksis are not full body puppets, they are actually cable controlled animatronic puppets which were "worn" by puppeteers on a special kind of rig attached to their hips.

There's lots of stuff on the Skeksis in "Jim Henson: The Works" and "No Strings Attached."

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Yeah, the mascot-type costumes are probably the best. But heed BB's advice: those two books, especially No Strings, are excellent sources.

Good luck,

- Billy :cool:

solo409

Reaction score
Thanks!!
I have 'No Strings' and while it is a very cool book, and has some info on the Skeksis, it does not really go into detail about the building of the costume. I have not seen this other book, but I'll be sure to look for it now
The wearable rig is something that I neet to find out more about. I've been combing the Net trying to find diagrams and designs of the Skeksis puppets, because this project I'm working on is very similar to the Skeksis in size and design. I think I might end up modifying a back-pack frame and attatching some kind of hoops and extentions to it to form the base rig of the creature...
While I'm sure I cannot create a puppet as articulate as the Skeksis, I would at least want eye-blinking and possibly eye movement as well, which is why I posted a new thread on blinking yesterday. And I still need to get some info on the whole feather attachment thing...
---Nate

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Another book that might have some useful info on backback rigs is Big is Beautiful which I think the P of A Bookstore carries. You can also probably find it in the library or on amazon.com

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....there is a Behind the scenes on the Dark Crystal special edition DVD, and it show's you quite a bit on the *look* of the Skeksis, the understructure and all that. It's really neat!

Hope that helps a bit...:smile: