Funniest Ernie & Bert moments!

Pug Lover

Reaction score
My favourite Ernie & Bert episodes which I found most hilarious:When the two of them go to bed for the night,Bert can't sleep because of the water dripping from the bathroom sink faucet.So Ernie does something to fix the problem.He turns on the radio.Then he turns on the vacuum cleaner.Driving Bert up the wall!Another bedtime episode had Ernie unable to sleep.Bert suggested he try counting sheep.So Ernie begins counting sheep.As he counts them one by one,we have white outlined animated sheep jumping over a small outlined fence and going"Baaah".But after awhile,Ernie gets tired of counting sheep,and decides to count something more exciting.Fire engines.As he begins counting fire engines,the animated fire engines that go by make such a noise,that Bert forbides Ernie to count them,and advises counting something quieter.So Ernie decides to count balloons.But the first animated balloon he counts,he blows air into,until it bursts,causing the room to shake like crazy,and scaring Bert half to death.Another time Bert was in the livingroom writing a letter to Mr.Rogers.Ernie sits down next to him with a small electric fan,which he turns on full blast,causing Bert's letter writing paper to blow all over the place,screwing up his letter.When Ernie shuts the fan off,Bert angrily yells at Ernie.But when the last thing Bert says is that he's"hot and bothered",Ernie figures he needs to cool off.So he turns the fan back onto full blast,much to Bert's annoyance.In another episode,Bert is in the livingroom reading a book titled Oatmeal Recipes,when he notices Ernie constantly walking out the door with a glass of water.He questions Ernie about it.None of his assumptions are correct.Finally Bert gets thirsty and Ernie lets him drink his last glass of water.When Ernie tells Bert that there is plenty of more water where that came from,the mystery is solved.The reason for Ernie's water trips is revealed.Apparently the kitchen sink faucet was broken somehow.The next thing you know,bubbling water fills the room.Bert calls for Ernie in a bubbly voice,while Ernie is practically swimming in the apartment.There were three episodes where Ernie & Bert were at the movies,and Ernie was disruptive in the theatre.And who could forget the classic gag of Ernie snatching Bert's nose right off his face. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

sixdollarman

Reaction score
Those were good. How about the one where Ernie was playing with the volume on the radio, turning it up and down. Bert, now very annoyed, enters the room complaining. After hearing him complain non stop, Ernie removes the volume switch and plugs it into Bert's belly and begins to turn HIS volume up and down and then eventually turns Bert's volume off.
Another good one is where The Count sleeps over and counts sheep all night keeping Ernie awake. In the morning both Bert and The Count were both wide awake and Ernie enters in a zombie state mumbling, "43,891 ... 43,892 ... 43,893 ..." and then faints on the floor. Actually, that segment really scared me as a child because of the way Ernie's eye's were. Luckily, I can laugh at it now.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
I lurv it when Bert and Ernie go fishing. Ernies method for catching fish? Screaming "HERE FISHIE FISHIE FISHIE" at the top of his lungs. That's funny on it's own, it's even funnier when the fish voluntarily flop into the boat. Classic! :stick_out_tongue:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Hey sixdollarman,you know when you said how that last episode you mentioned frightened you as a child because of the way Ernie's eyes looked?I can relate to that.As a child I felt the very same way about a scene in The Muppet Movie.The scene in the barn where Miss Piggy came to Kermit's rescue by giving all the bad guys her famous karate chops.The way her eyes looked in that scene freaked me out.So I know what you mean! :wink:

sixdollarman

Reaction score
Well, scary scenes are another story. Let's get back to the funny moments. I always had to laugh at the wierd things Bert would be doing to amuse himself. Like listening to "Pigeons in the News" and reading, "It was the best of oatmeal, it was the worst of oatmeal." He was such a square that you just have to laugh at him.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I know what you mean.Bert was a dull kind of guy.He even preferred plain soda water to ice cream soda.Yuck!But I rather liked that musical song and dance number he once did"Doing The Pigeons".That was kind of cute.Another favourite episode of mine,was with just Ernie and The Count,at The Count's creepy mansion.Whenever the telephone rang,Ernie tried to answer it,but The Count wanted to count how many times it rang.The episode ended with Ernie fighting his way to the ringing telephone,with The Count physically keeping him away from it,so that he could count all the telephone rings.One other hilarious one was with Ernie and Cookie Monster.I think Cookie Monster was spending the night with Ernie while Bert was out of town.Cookie Monster made a big fuss over Ernie's pillow,and began crying hysterically because he wanted a pillow.So Ernie suggested they share the pillow.Having agreed to that,Cookie Monster rips the pillow in half and eats his half the way he always gobbles things up,with the pillow's yellow feathered stuffing flying all over the place. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

sixdollarman

Reaction score
Cookie Monster slept over another night and he was scared of the monster in the corner of the room that was actually Ernie's old blanket. Then when he finally fell asleep, he had a nightmare of cookies that were laughing at him because he couldn't catch them. And when he woke up, Ernie offered him some cookies to make him feel better and he screamed and crashed through the door with terror. Another great sketch was when Ernie wanted to see if Bert was napping or not, so he started poking him. When Bert finally woke up (annoyed of course), Ernie reminded him that it was time for his nap.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
That reminds me of an episode where Ernie found Bert asleep on the livingroom chair.Bert actually had his eyes closed,which looked kind of strange because of this possibley being the only time we ever saw Bert with his eyes closed. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

sixdollarman

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
That reminds me of an episode where Ernie found Bert asleep on the livingroom chair.Bert actually had his eyes closed,which looked kind of strange because of this possibley being the only time we ever saw Bert with his eyes closed. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:
That also kind of scared me because again it was something strange that you normally didn't see on Sesame Street

sixdollarman

Reaction score
Hey Pug Lover! Are you and I the only ones who use this thread? It seems that way.