Funniest Sesame Street sketches

Cookie fan

Reaction score
This is just a personal list of sorts; there are tons of funny Sesame Street clips/sketches out there but the funniest that come to mind are:

Hungry Cat waits for preoccupied owner to open can of cat food.
Restless Ernie tries to go to sleep by counting fire engines. (Bert's scream at the end always gets me):smile:

Girl recites alphabet with Kermit punctuated with her saying "Cookie Monster". Cute and Funny.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I always loved the cartoon where the guy at the grocery store is stacking cans and people keep coming and grabbing one out from the middle and make the whole stack topple down- so the poor dude has to keep going and setting it back up again! Having worked in a grocery store before, I can relate!:smile:

Java

Reaction score
Ernie and Bert Dance Myself to Sleep. No questions about it.

Ziffel

Reaction score
As Cookie Fan said, there are just tons and tons of funny SS sketches. It'd be like saying what were the funniest lines from "All in the Family" or "The Honeymooners"? There's just so many to choose from. That, of course, was one of the many brilliant features of SS. That it utilized a lot of humor in many of its sketches to help increase the interest level of children (and the parents watching along with them!) as they learned in the process.
Gonzo Leaper's last entry reminded me of a VERY funny cartoon sketch at a grocery store where the customer was purchasing apples and kept changing his mind as to how many. The clerk was getting increasingly frustrated. Finally after the customer says, "On second thought..." (when it was more accurately 'on twentieth thought!') he puts an apple in his mouth and says, "Here, have an apple it's a present from me." And how about that part when the customer says, "Uh, what am I thinking!" (Clerk says, "I don't know" in a dry, resigned way!) then says, "Mary's mother has false teeth, she couldn't eat an apple, now could she, haha" (and Clerk laughs along but exasperatedly!)
And you may want to take a look at all the fave moments threads for various SS characters like "Favorite Kermit moments", "Favorite Cookie Monster moments", etc. because at such threads you'll see a lot of people citing particular sketches as faves because, obviously, they thought they were very funny. :smile:

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Gonzo Leaper's last entry reminded me of a VERY funny cartoon sketch at a grocery store where the customer was purchasing apples and kept changing his mind as to how many. The clerk was getting increasingly frustrated. Finally after the customer says, "On second thought..." (when it was more accurately 'on twentieth thought!') he puts an apple in his mouth and says, "Here, have an apple it's a present from me." And how about that part when the customer says, "Uh, what am I thinking!" (Clerk says, "I don't know" in a dry, resigned way!) then says, "Mary's mother has false teeth, she couldn't eat an apple, now could she, haha" (and Clerk laughs along but exasperatedly!)
:smile:
Good one Ziffel! I forgot about that one, I never really thought about the depth of that humor as a kid, but now I get it! I loved the "zoned-out" look on the clerk's eyes when he got frustrated. I hope it comes out on youtube soon.

MrsWembly

Reaction score
Yes!!!

I agree with Java! I dance myself to sleep was one of the best! I still crack up laughing at it! :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

“Ernie! Those sheep are tap dancing!”

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just wanted to share something I just noticed. I recently purchased the Sesame Street DVD "Sing Along." I believe it was made in 1987. Biff and Sully are busy fixing a TV. At the end, a pole nearly falls on them.

One of the kids yells, "And you call yourself a repair man?!" Biff (Jerry Nelson of course) responds, "No, a Republican! I call myself a Republican!" LOL, I was like "What? He said that?! lol"

Nice ad lib, Jerry!

MrsWembly

Reaction score
Lol!!!

That's funny! I might have to check that one out, heralde.
:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

“Ernie! Who let the two-headed monster play Santa Claus?!”

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MrsWembly said:
:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

“Ernie! Who let the two-headed monster play Santa Claus?!”
Where is that quote from, MrsWembly? That sounds familiar.

Xerus

Reaction score
I always laughed at the skit where Grover finds an empty telephone booth and all these monsters shout, "AN EMPTY TELEPHONE BOOTH!" and crammed themselves in all at once and Grover has to keep pushing them out. It makes me wonder if they're college monsters.