1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Gaiman and McKean Team for "Mirror Mask"

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Phillip, Jan 29, 2003.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Holy smokes this is HUGE news! Ive been a fan of Gaiman(Sandman comic), and Dave Mckean(Sandman covers, Cages, Black Orchid, etc) for a long time...so this news of them working with JHC is too cool. I can only imagine the astonishing visuals this will have. Good to see JHC finally coming back to do fantasy films...could this be the start of a renewed focus on making fantasy films for JHC CS? I think the climate is right!
  3. pezbalubah

pezbalubah Member

Nice, so would this be like an un-official sequel to Labyrinth? it'd be awesome if it included cameos from some of the old characters. Of course with it being direct-to-video Bowie and Jennifer Connelly would be out of the question.
  4. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Guys,

I hope to god that this isnt going to try and be a seguel or prequel !

Leave movies as they are, They cant make it any better so why ruin it ?

see ya
  5. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

DAM Gaiman!!!!!!! This is going be the end of JHC once he makes the film he proberly going go court and ask for the rights! HE A BUM!@!@!@!@#!#@#!@

SORRY TOO MUCH OF A SPAWN FAN AND THIS SUCKS! THey should get the MAN! Todd McFarlane! This sucks fellow muppeteers and I smell something bad down the road cuz Neil GAINMAN IS BAD CHEEZE!!#!!@$#!$#%@!%@##!%^$@&^^$
  6. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

Is direct to video I guess it won't kill JHC that much BUT NEIL GAINMAN BAD!!!

I WANT MY ANGELA EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS KILL OFF IN ISSUE 100, I WANT MY MEDIEVAL SPAWN!!!!!!!! I WANT COGLIOSTRO!!!! DAM HIM I WANT MY BOOK OF THE DEAD !!!!!! DAM NEIL GAINMAN!!!!!!:(
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Aw yes, the Miracle Man Mcfarlane vs. Gaiman thing. Well, Miracle Man looks like a ripoff of Bizarro anyways.

At any rate, any familair with Gaiman's brilliant Sandman series, and collaborations with Dave Mckean can only imagine what kind of coolness they can pull off with JHC CS. Too bad its straight to video, but its nice to see JHC CS doing some original fantasy stuff again.
  8. pezbalubah

pezbalubah Member

I don't understand why it has to be direct to video, isn't that just for kiddie stuff and horror movies (to rent)? They should give it a limited release and see how it does... it could be an indie film produced by Henson... with it being a fantasy film it has potential to get a hardcore fan following ala Farscape and could do well in major theaters if word of mouth (or more likely reviews on the internet) travels.
  9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh you are totally right! It could definately do well to play the indie art hosue film circuit. Heck, thats how Memento and Brotherhood of the Wolf(another JHC CS collab) and those ended up at mainstream theatres!
  10. Chilly Down

Chilly Down Member

Astonishing that a sequel to Labyrinth was even discussed that recently. (Maybe they've been reading our posts!) But I wish we had more information than just the title. How does this relate to Labyrinth at all, or does it not relate anymore?

The direct-to-video thing does sound like a strange route for the film. We'll have to see when it comes out, I guess.

Rather than direct-to-video, it would be nice to complete the big-screen "trilogy," the way Baz Luhrmann has his "Red Curtain Trilogy" of unrelated stories that nonetheless have a distinctive style -- Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, and Moulin Rouge. How 'bout a "Jim Henson Fantasy Trilogy" of Dark Crystal (directed by Jim and Frank), Labyrinth (directed by Jim) and the "Mirror" movie (directed by Brian)?
  11. MikeWatt

MikeWatt New Member

What are you talking about? You're mad at Neil for standing up for himself after McFarlane STOLE from him? Interesting. And lied not only to Gaiman, but to many of the other writers as well, after they came in and bailed McFarlane out of his financial worries in the mid-80s. Interesting again. Now you think Gaiman is going to swoop in after doing a work-for-hire gig at Henson and, what? Sue them so he can own the Muppets? "Neil Gaiman Bad."

Do you have any idea what this man has done for artists' rights in business? Do you understand that he has personally raised money to *help bail artists out of jail??* And a good friend of his literally lied to him, stole from him, and jeopardized his livelihood and his family!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to do this, but I just found this little outrage of "Dam Neil Gaiman" to have been delivered without knowing any of the facts. As for "Miracleman" being a ripoff of "Bizarro", it was actually a spinoff of "Marvelman" aka "Shazam", but that's another argument.

As for Gaiman and McKean teaming up with Henson, this has actually been long in coming. It was Henson that showed interest in Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, and at one point, McKean was contracted to do pre-production art of the Beast of London and other things. Where that project stands now, I'm not sure.

When Neil gets back from his book tour in Europe, I'm hoping to sit down with him for a full-length interview about his projects and things, as soon as I can, I'll try and get full details. If MIRROR MASK is actually on the fast-track, stop in periodically at www.neilgaiman.com and check with his daily journal. He should be able to keep everyone completely up to date.

And as for it going straight-to-video, things could change, particularly if his DEATH movie comes to fruition. Then the studios would want to release MIRROR MASK as a theatrical. Never can tell with these things. Heck, the whole project could be killed tomorrow.

Finally: Sorry about the Spawn issues you feel are due you. Trust me, though, the lawsuit was a good thing for a lot of people. And Todd won't let the readers down, I'm sure he has plenty of tricks up his sleeve.

Mike Watt
    www.hollywoodisburning.com
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh sorry about that, I meant to say from the new Previews cover, the Miracleman bust reminded me of Bizarro, heh. I actually have only seen that image. Im not a fan of the Mcfarlane style of toy by any stretch of the imagination, and was a big Gaiman fan before Spawn(Was reading his stuff int he late 80's)

It's actually interesting this is all coming together. I had always imagined what a Dave Mckean directorial film could look like(Shaughn, where's my copy of Mckean's The Week Before vhs?;))
    as from hsi Sandman covers to his graphic novels hes done some of the most astonishing artwork. And Gaiman, man how the heck did I miss his book tour stop in Berkeley? Ack. So yes, a
    Gaiman/Mckean/JHC project is too cool. The only thing that bugs me is the straight to video part. Though Im wondering as well, how much this will be connected to Labyrinth.

Ive also heard rumblings about a renewed interest in a Dark Crystal update/prequel/etc...so you never know how these projects can take form and shape up!
  13. MikeWatt

MikeWatt New Member

As big a fan of these guys as I am, I've somehow managed to completely miss The Week Before and Neon, so this is exciting news to me all around and gives me new things to obsess over. :) (Didn't mean to yell at you about the Bizarro/Miracleman thing. I was still waving my arms and jumping up and down over the previous post! Sorry about that!)

Again, according to Neil's journal, where there are little newsy bits about Mirror Mask, he says that there is as good a chance of this going theatrical as there is it not being made at all. A lot of it will be done with computer backgrounds, which is, I understand, how Dave did his previous movies.

I get news about a new Dark Crystal movie about once a year. Usually, it's a rumbling from whoever the hot ticket is that month, which never fails to send waves of dread down my spine.

Mike Watt
  14. Movies205

Movies205 New Member

I sitll want some more Medieval Spawn!
  15. MikeWatt

MikeWatt New Member

Well, maybe Todd will swallow his pride and actually pay Neil to write some more. Never can tell with this business.

Mike
  16. Struble

Struble New Member

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dave McKean. I just watched the Week Before again last night. Lemme tell you kids. It's an amazing film.

This will be an amazing film if it ever sees fruit.

As for the Todd/Gaiman debate, could you guys stop talking about it? I get enough of it on the comicbook forums I visit. :)

Sh.
  17. MikeWatt

MikeWatt New Member

Hm.

I knew this thread would get me into trouble...

Mike Watt
  18. Struble

Struble New Member

Heh. You ain't in trouble. I was just being silly, because I do see this same conversation on almost every comicbook board I go on. *shrugs*

I like corndogs... well, not really. They're icky. My friend from Norway ended up eating a corndog the last time he was in America. He had a low oppinion of all American food after that.

Um, sorry for that weird tangent.

Sh.
  19. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Sh.,

Given their past work, what can fans expect from this new project? What are some of their styles with characters and how they develop a story?
  20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Dark...very dark, grotesque, avant garde, and very ornate.
    Unless they switch gears or something.