German Edition: Merry Muppet Christmas DVD

petrieboy

Reaction score
I keep getting more confused, trying to find the best possible version of this dvd (surprising, considering I was one who found it offensive and sad.)
The UK edition is in 1:85:1 widescreen.
The German Edition, according to German's Amazon site, is 2:35:1.
What is the difference between 1:85 and 2:35? I think that 2:35 would show even more, right?
But... Will English viewers be able to watch it in English without any subtitles? It offers English as a language.

Whatever

Reaction score
Yeah, it should offer English without subtitles, they usually do. But I hope you have a special DVD player, German DVDs dont work in American DVD players. Also be aware that shipping from Germany is waaaay expensive.

anathema

Reaction score
petrieboy said:
I keep getting more confused, trying to find the best possible version of this dvd (surprising, considering I was one who found it offensive and sad.)
The UK edition is in 1:85:1 widescreen.
The German Edition, according to German's Amazon site, is 2:35:1.
What is the difference between 1:85 and 2:35? I think that 2:35 would show even more, right?
But... Will English viewers be able to watch it in English without any subtitles? It offers English as a language.
2.35:1 is full cinema widescreen, the format that movies such as "Star Wars" were shot in. It's a film format, not a video format, and as such IAVMMCM will most definitely not have been shot in that aspect ratio :smile:

1.85:1 is normal widescreen. Where have you seen it listed like this? Amazon.co.uk don't have any technical data, and Play are claiming it to be 4:3 (which matches the recording I made from Sky last Christmas).

anathema

Reaction score
petrieboy said:
I'd lay odds they're both talking through their backsides. I don't know about DVDBrand, but Amazon are not noted for their attention to accuracy. Quite the opposite, in fact. I remember reading on here about a year back that the special was shot in 16:9 widescreen, although I've yet to see hard video evidence of anything other than 4:3.