Get up... it's time to play!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember how a lot of us wanted to get rid of JTE? Hope yer happy :sympathy: (j/k)

Seriously, this is the WORST thing I've seen on SS, right up there with "Do the Fruit/Veggie Dance" and that "y...Y..YYYYYY... Da letter Y" thing I always complain about. It's verging on Barney-esque down talking to kids. It's just like something that should be on Blue's Clues or some other trash nonsense kid show. I mean, looking at it, even from a kid's level... it's annoying, slow, and I know that a vast majority of the audience now is under 2... but even they can count five toes faster than that.

It comes in 2 segments... half shelled in your face "Get up and Dance" type stuff, and very very elementary problem solving, recognition,and logic. The one where a kid spends an interminable amount of time making a pattern out of Giraffes and Elephants, slowly, loudly repeating the pattern over and over, and then asking which one comes next, then repeating the pattern thus so far 3 times per each addition.... I don't even think a 2 year old would be entranced by that.

Now, I always am the first one to denounce the term "dumbed down" when it comes to the fact they have to change the age level to accomodate the lazy parents of kids, but this is most definately the Dumbiest Downiest thing I've seen them stoop to. :sleep: :boo:

DTWolf

Reaction score
I don't care for it, but I'll take it any episode over Journey to Ernie. On the Get Up Play stuff they're not using Muppet characters and dumbing them down, which is what JTE did. JTE also took up a lot more time than these Get Up Play pieces are taking.

Of course, part of the reason I'm not too bothered by the Get Up Play material is that as a child watching Sesame Street this is exactly the kind of thing I would've tuned out--it's just filler, has nothing to do with the characters I like, and so it's easy to ignore. JTE was hard to ignore without turning off the TV.; this stuff is simple (for me, anyway) to ignore.

Of course, none of that addresses your complaint about this material being too simplistic and "kiddified." I don't think I could argue with that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Remember how a lot of us wanted to get rid of JTE?
YOU FIENDS!!! Journey to Ernie was a lot better than Elmo's World!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
okay, so we've apperently got 1. JTE 2. Get up and Play 3. Elmo's World

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't believe you all hate Journey to Ernie! What is wrong with you people?

F

furryredmonster

Journey To Ernie is OK... I don't hate it and I don't love it.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I didn't like it either. I didn't think creating a daily segment on 2 muppets playing hide and seek was benificial.

DTWolf

Reaction score
A Friendly Fiend Replies

D'Snowth said:
YOU FIENDS!!! Journey to Ernie was a lot better than Elmo's World!
Oh, I grant you, Elmo's World is much worse than JTE ever was. But JTE was still awful, and I'm still very happy that it's gone. It had only two virtues, in my opinion: it was always followed by an Ernie skit, and it allowed us to see the Two-Headed Monster again. But you can have both of those without the rest.

No, wait, there was a THIRD virtue: it never had Elmo in it.