Getting Swamped

Ruahnna

Reaction score
You little mind-reader, you! The next chapter is "Somewhat Blue," which is, indeed, a play on the phrase "Something Blue."

The complete rhyme is:
Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

And these, of course, are all good-luck wedding items, making them perfect for this semi-honeymoon story.

I'll be wrapping this one up for bed soon. Thanks for hanging in there!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh... Sorry? *Offers up some choc chip cookies with oats in them. And hey, you made it to the seven-eighths mark! Another 125 to reach the magic number and title change. Looking forward to whatever's left for this wonderous story of yours.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 26: Somewhat Blue

“I can’t believe it’s time for you to go back,” said Jane. She bustled about, fussing unnecessarily. Jane was easily the most unflappable frog that Piggy knew, but she also knew from recent experience that when Jane fussed it was only to cover for some other emotion. How much like her Kermit is, Piggy thought with great affection. She moved impulsively and put her arms around Jane’s shoulders. Surprised, Jane stopped moving, then turned and made the hug come full circle.
“I’m so glad you came,” she whispered against Piggy’s shining curls. “I’m so glad to see Kermit so…” She stopped, not sure what to say.
“Settled down?” teased Piggy, but Jane shook her head.
“Happy,” she said firmly. “I’m so glad to see Kermit so happy.”
Piggy nodded, not trusting herself to speak. She had been so deliriously happy herself that Kermit’s testament of happiness had been like a cherry on top of the sundae.
“You’re gonna miss your train,” said James the Frog, looking at his pocketwatch and shaking his head. Young people simply did not have proper respect for time, he grumbled to himself.
James was, quite possibly, correct about their disregard of the time. The change in plans had been managed, with 38 hours shaved off the trip, but it necessitated a departure time for the railroad that was rather indecent. Kermit and Piggy had stayed not quite two weeks, which seemed to be about as much vacation as Kermit could comfortably stand, no matter how comfortable the stay. Jane and James had greeted the news blandly, but Piggy now knew them both well enough to see the secret amusement in their eyes. She assumed that they knew what she knew—and what Margaret knew—that Kermit’s restlessness had nothing to do with them, and everything to do with Kermit’s dream of making a lot of people happy. The world was a big place, and if Kermit was going to reach the entire world with his dream, well, he’d have to get cracking.
Their luggage had been hauled to the edge of the road to await the arrival of Sherwood and the faithful pickup truck, but Piggy and Kermit had lingered as long as possible in the common clearing. Restless or no, Kermit seemed reluctant to leave now that the time was upon him.
“We’ll come home again when we can, Mom,” said Kermit, embracing his mother for the third—and last—time before leaving. When their cheeks were pressed close, Jane murmured, automatically, “You be a good boy.”
Piggy had said much the same thing to Orville and Norville, who had stood—awkward and morose—and offered repeatedly to carry things or be put to use. Piggy had let them carry her trunk, and they had performed the duty with all the solemnity they possessed.
Robin burst through the swamp grass, bouncing excitedly. “He’s here!” he cried. “Mr. Sherwood is here!” He had begged and begged to be allowed to stay up late and later and finally, early, in order to see his Uncle and new Aunt off.
“He can sleep it off this afternoon,” James had said, indulgently, granting amnesty.
“Robin can come for a long visit once we get settled and figure out what comes next,” Kermit said, talking hastily as he walked toward the road and the sounds of a rattling old engine.
“He can stay as long as he wants!” Piggy said, anxious to show that it was not just Kermit doing the inviting.
“Yippee!” shouted Robin, who was immediately shushed by all of the adults. Maggie did not appear to be a morning person, and her shushing was, perhaps, a bit more stringent than some of the other adults. Robin was quieted, but not cowed, and he continued to bounce around them as they made their way toward the country road that ran past the swamp. James and Jane and Maggie and a handful of early risers followed them toward the road, with James casting anxious glances at his pocketwatch every so often.
At last, the battered truck was in sight, blowing faintly blue smoke in the early morning light from its exhaust. More hurried goodbyes, then Sherwood had the door standing open.
Because of the stick shift, Kermit got in first, and—just before mounting the running board, Piggy turned and looked back the way they had come. She saw the swamp, timeless and serene, and wondered that it had ever looked strange and intimidating. She saw the paths that countless generations of frogs had made through the rustling swamp grasses—none of them in high heels. She saw the waving hands and smiling faces of Kermit’s family—of Jane and James and Margaret and Robin—and oh, there was Matthius with Puddin’ waving a pudgy hand. Not Kermit’s family, Piggy corrected herself. Our family. Her vision blurred suddenly, but she covered it well. She was, after all, a professional. And she was also Mrs. Kermit The Frog. She rose to the occasion and waved gaily.
“Good-bye, everybodee!” Piggy called. She climbed in the truck. She was not wearing a hat this time, but she waved a hanky theatrically out the window, finally letting it drift back as the truck rounded the corner and disappeared in a cloud of dust. Maggie rolled her eyes as Orville and Norville dashed after the scrap of pink linen, but she could admire the artistry in the gesture all the same. Margaret The Frog watched the road until the dust had all settled and the sound of morning had replaced the sounds of dawn, then she turned and started back toward the clearing with Orville and Norville.
“Nice of you to take Miss Piggy’s luggage,” she said. Her voice and manner were a little stiff, but the twins cottoned to the fact that she was making an overture of friendship to them.
“Um, we could help you carry things, too,” said Orville eagerly. “You know, clothes or, um….” He trailed off in confusion, but Norville came to his rescue.
“Or anything else you need carrying,” he said. Maggie noted with some amusement that his voice seemed to be deepening a little, marking him as a man, if a young one.
“I’ll keep that in mind,” Maggie said, managing to remove all the sarcasm and most of the irony from her voice. “If you keep this up, you guys are going to give Sherwood a run for his money.”
They exchanged startled glances. Was she teasing them? Was Maggie tweaking them or being sincere? It was hard to know. While they were still pondering, Maggie nudged Orville with her bony little shoulder and laughed.
“Just don’t start running the roads in a pick-up,” she said. “You two are dangerous enough in the trees!” She started trotting, and picked up speed as she dashed toward the edge of the trees ahead. With a whoop, Orville darted after her, with Norville in hot pursuit. One, two, three figures swung up into the overhanging branches and disappeared from view as the swamp swallowed them utterly. You can take a frog out of the swamp, they say, but you can’t take the swamp out of a frog.

Piggy leaned her shining curls against the cool glass of the window and looked out the window. The trip down dusty lanes must be affecting her, for she wiped now and then at her eyes. Beside her, Kermit sat still, but she could feel the coiled readiness in him—as usual, he had his face toward the future and what it might hold.
Mrs. Kermit The Frog wondered if Kermit knew how much he took for granted, wondering if he knew what it was like to feel the warmth and security of knowing where you cam from, and where you belonged. Piggy looked down at the ring on her hand and smiled. She was just beginning to know.
The train was mostly empty. It would not pick up any significant number of passengers until it they got into a less rural setting. Kermit took advantage of the privacy to slip his arm around her waist. With a sigh of great contentment, Piggy leaned away from the window and into her husband’s shoulder—away from the cold and into the warmth. Kermit smiled indulgently.
“Go ahead and sleep,” he said softly. “I’ll be right here.”

The ringing of a bell tied to a cord gave warning of a customer. Jack came out of the back where he was trying to down a peanut-butter sandwich, wiping his hands carefully on a moist towelette.
“Whacha got there, Sherwood?” asked the storekeeper. Sherwood drew out a carefully wrapped brown paper package, tied with enough string to secure the Mongrel hordes.
“S’picture,” he said. “I was hoping you could help me find a frame for it.”
“Got plenty of frames,” the man said. “What kind are you looking for?”
“Somethin’ fancy,” Shewood said. “I like that one there.”
The man followed the line of his pointing finger. “The gold one? The big one with all the curlicues?”
“That’s the one, Jack,” Sherwood said firmly. “That’s just the thing.” Carefully, regretfully, he laid the wrapped package on the counter as though fearful of letting it out of his hands. “Reckon you could frame this for me afore I come back to town on Friday?”
“I could do it now, if you want to wait.”
“Really? That’d be—that’d be great.” Sherwood hesitated, then picked up the package and handed it to his friend behind the counter. Gently, Jack peeled the paper back to reveal a beautiful 8 x 10 glossy of stage and screen diva, Piggy The Frog nee Miss Piggy. His eyes grew wide.
“Pretty nice, Sherwood,” he said approvingly. “I’ll take extra special care of this.”
Scrawled across the bottom of the photo, in large loopy cursive, it read, “To Sherwood, from his biggest fan, Miss Piggy” and under that, “Kissy, kissy!”
No doubt about it—things around the swamp were never going to be quite the same.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 27: Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jig

They stood on the threshold of the huge Spanish-style house and looked at each other. It was much too big for them, and still so new that it hardly felt like home, but what did feel like home to Piggy was to stand here, with Kermit’s arms around her, and look into his bulbous eyes.
Ever the opportunist, Kermit leaned in and kissed her.
“It’s good to be home,” he said softly, and his eyes said it was not the only good thing.
“Yes,” Piggy said. “Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.”
Kermit laughed at her nonsense. “What was that?”
Piggy smiled, wondering if she could explain. “When I was a little girl, I used to love Nursery Rhymes. Mother Goose, especially. There was one poem that always made me laugh—it ended with ‘Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.’”
“Sounds painful,” said Kermit dryly.
Piggy shook her head, and put her shiny new key into the lock. “I don’t remember the whole poem, but I loved that last line. When I’d been out all day with my mother, shopping—and let me tell you, if you think I can shop for a long time, well…. Once we were settled in the car and started for home, that line would always bounce around in my head. Home again, home again….” She stepped through and looked around. Their stuff was there in the house, but sparse, giving the home a not-quite-finished look. She turned to Kermit and smiled. “That’s what we’ve done today—gone from home to home. From your home—where you made me welcome, to our home.” She turned and kissed him. “Welcome home.”
“Oh, Piggy….” said Kermit softly.
He took her hands in his, and they stood there on the threshold looking around at this new kingdom of theirs. It was clean and shiny and smelled of lemon cleaner. They still smelled faintly of swamp grass and wood smoke.
“Do you think—“
“I hope that we—“
They broke off, smiling at each other on the threshold of their lives together. What would happen next? Anything! Everything. With Kermit, Piggy thought anything might be possible—and often was.

Epilogue

“I didn’t know it then—wouldn’t know it for a long time yet to come—but sometimes it takes a change in someone you love to make you see a change in yourself that needs to happen. Kermit had changed, yes—but so had I, and while he had changed for the better, my own change was just beginning. Who says that you stop growing after you lose your tail? Certainly not me—I know better. But the first summer that my brother came home a married frog marked the beginning of a journey for me that would change the course of my life forever.”
“I dedicate this book with great affection to Miss Piggy, my dear sister-in-law. I daresay we inflicted a few truly miserable days on each other in the beginning, but I hope I’ve made up my share in the years since.”

--excerpt from the dedication of “The Pig Who Wouldn’t Go, and other stories, by Margaret The Frog

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Wonderful!

Oh Ru, that was simply wonderful! It was such a great way to end the story. I'll never stop being impressed by you. I thought the first update you posted was the end, but then there was another one and both of them made a perfect ending to the tale. I also say, "home again, home again, jiggety jig". My mom and I say it all the time after a long trip. Fantastic Story Ru, simply wonderful. I can't wait to see updates on Kermie's Girl. Have a great day!

:flirt:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Mmm... Saying goodbye... But at least another great fanfic has come to its finish. Truly liked the way you ended this one with the trainride home and then the dedication by Margaret. Thank you for sharing this one with us and we only hope you have the time to finish your other pageturners.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<GLOMP!>

That epilogue really tops it off so perfectly, Ru. Darn near brought tears to my eyes (in a very GOOD way), and believe me, that's no easy task for the written word. I really like what you've done with my Maggie here, and the depth that you've added to her, and I do not hesitate to say that of all the writers here who have taken her out of my stories and into their own, you are definitely the truest to the character as I see her. I sincerely thank you for writing this most enjoyable tale.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------
I...wow.

Ru, you understand and convey human emotional turbulence with a mastery I would expect from a PhD psych who also had an artistic soul -- should such an unlikely creature ever exist.

I have much to mull over. Thank you for writing this, and thanks more for deciding to share it with the world.
----------------

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Awww...thanks, guys. It was fun revisiting this story with you all who are just now reading it. Although I remember the story (senility has not QUITE set in, despite my birthday) I had forgotten about some of the truly horrible things that happened to Piggy during this tale. And I had almost forgotten about Kermit becoming the frog prince who rescues his lady--and her shoe--as she runs away from the ball. And what a complete snot that Margaret can be when she isn't writing. (Not that I know anyone like that....) I'm glad you enjoyed it--it was a joy and a pleasure to write and share with my friends here at MC.

(Shameless plug: "A Pig Out of Water" and "Somebody's Getting Married" were written about the same time. Although I hope my writing has improved some, you will note that my penchant for catching my own typos has not...."