Gilda and Scred

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi, everybody. Convincing John here.

I have a question for all you Muppet fans out there.

Well, if you read my thread about a Gilda Radner statue to be auctioned off for charity, this post has something to do with that. If the auction is successful, other Gilda's Clubs across the country might want me to make some more "Gildas" to help their Gilda's Clubs. I'll do all her famous roles of course. (Emily Litella, Roseanne Roseannadanna, etc.) :smile:

But...what would you guys think of a Gilda and Scred together (like in maybe a drawing or a painting?) I know they appeared together on SNL cause I have that clip. Scred is in a bee costume, and he is with Gilda against a black backdrop (like the "I Got You Babe" number with Lily Tomlin). Scred is ad-libbing and Gilda keeps laughing...it's one of my favorite SNL Muppet clips! :excited:

Of course, this is just an idea, and it all depends on how the first auction goes. I informed Mr. Radner in a letter that I would be happy to make more "Gildas" in the future, so, who knows?

The only downside of this is getting permission from the Jim Henson Company to include Scred. Back in March when I was "Muppet Central-less", I tried by phone, fax, and even the Gilda's Club Quad Cities contacted JHC for permission to include Beaker in the "Tap Your Troubles Away" Gilda I just completed. My proposal is in their office...and has been since mid-March, with no response. :frown:

That's why, when the time comes (hopefully) for me to make more Gildas, I can include this one in the line. It would mean a lot to me, being a Muppet fan and all, to have Scred be a part of it.

Anybody's input is welcome on this idea. Would you like to see it done...or not? I know some of you would love to see Gilda in another scene from the Muppet Show, like the "Muffin Show" opening with Scooter, or the operetta number with the carrot. Believe me, so would I! But since the Gilda I just made was from TMS, I wanted to run the full spectrum of her different characters from SNL and in her movies first...and then if I can, I will do more scenes from her TMS appearance.

So do guys think, if I can get permission, should I do the picture of Scred and Gilda? Would I have to get Mr. Nelson's permission? After all, Scred was one of his characters. I know that he used to post on the Forum way back in 1999 (when I was a regular member).

For a picture of the statue, it should be available soon at www.gildasclubqc.org I'll keep you updated, folks!

Convincing John

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think a piece of art of the two of them together would be great! I'd also like to see something of her from TMS.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Operetta number with the carrot has got my vote, Convincing John!

-Kim

Convincing John

Reaction score
Skeeter Muppet said:
Operetta number with the carrot has got my vote, Convincing John!

-Kim
Yeah, I'd like to do the carrot bit, too. That'll have to come later, though after I've done all the SNL Gildas. But:

1. I'd need permission from JHC
2. I'd have to choose my media (painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.)

Doing a drawing or painting of that scene wouldn't be too bad...but a life-size statue??? :eek:!!! I don't know how I'd make that carrot!

I'm terrible at sewing! If for some reason I decide (or am assigned by Mr. Radner) to create this scene, I will do what I can with my trusty glue gun and Wal-Mart fabric. I will also breathe a sigh of relief that the "12 foot rabbit" that Gilda mentioned didn't show up!

And what about delivery? I have a small car, and I could just see myself passing truckers on the interstate with a huge tuxedo-clad carrot tied to the top of my car like the Grizwold Family Christmas tree! :big_grin:

Hee hee hee!

And to answer Fozzie's request, the Gilda I just made WAS from "The Muppet Show". :smile: I wish I had the picture right now to show everybody...so for now the best I can do is describe it.

The statue is of Gilda at the beginning of the "Tap Your Troubles Away" number, (the closing number). For those of you who have never seen this episode, I'll explain what this Gilda statue looks like:

Gilda is wearing a white blouse with billowing sleeves (I've heard them called "peasant shirts"), red shorts, and white socks. She has her hair in pigtails with red ribbons, which match the ones on her black tap shoes. One of her shoes is in her right hand, while the other is on her foot. Her left hand is stuck to her head due to a Muppet Labs super glue experiment (a running gag throughout the second half of the show).

In the show, Beaker is stuck to her via a chest pull (the reason I wanted Beaker in the statue with her). But he doesn't appear in the final statue. :frown:

Gilda stands on a 3'x4' wooden base and is held up with a mannequin stand. A plaque is fastened to it, dedicating the statue to the Gilda's Club Quad Cities.

Gilda's eyes are squinting, and her mouth is a closed, wide grin. As one of the finishing touches on the statue, my mother put some fake eyelashes on her and some of those press-on fingernails (which are painted with real fingernail polish). She also helped some with the hair, which is actually a wig. When the picture appears on the website, the hair looks almost black. But in person, it's brown, like her hair. One thing that had to be worked around was getting a part in the wig. If you parted it regular, you can see the wig's lining. So, I had to work around that a little. It isn't exactly like Gilda's hair strand for strand, but it was the best I could do with what I had.

But the most important thing is that as many people know about this statue as possible. I want it to raise lots of money for Gilda's Club! So spread the word, everybody! I've told the Gilda's Club Quad Cities that I'd be posting about the statue here. If anybody's interested, I'll post some interesting stories that happened during construction! Some of them are pretty funny! (But not as funny as Fozzie, of course!) :wink:

Convincing John

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
The statue is of Gilda at the beginning of the "Tap Your Troubles Away" number, (the closing number). For those of you who have never seen this episode, I'll explain what this Gilda statue looks like:

Gilda is wearing a white blouse with billowing sleeves (I've heard them called "peasant shirts"), red shorts, and white socks. She has her hair in pigtails with red ribbons, which match the ones on her black tap shoes. One of her shoes is in her right hand, while the other is on her foot. Her left hand is stuck to her head due to a Muppet Labs super glue experiment (a running gag throughout the second half of the show).

In the show, Beaker is stuck to her via a chest pull (the reason I wanted Beaker in the statue with her). But he doesn't appear in the final statue. :frown:

If anybody's interested
I've got a picture from that scene (kindof). I scanned it fr'm Jim Henson: The Works . It's of Gilda and Beaker in that skit, and Richard's in it too mugging for the camera.

-Kim