Girl Puppet Voices

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm struggling to do any different voices for girl puppets, except something heavily influenced by the vocal styling of Miss Piggy. Generally in her more aggravated state, at that...Anything else always seems to go too deep, but...well, constant Piggy voice is aggravating for anyone, and grating, and certainly not good for the vocal-chords...Any ideas?

Blink

Reaction score
I'm struggling to do any different voices for girl puppets, except something heavily influenced by the vocal styling of Miss Piggy. Generally in her more aggravated state, at that...Anything else always seems to go too deep, but...well, constant Piggy voice is aggravating for anyone, and grating, and certainly not good for the vocal-chords...Any ideas?
Try doing a high pitched "Southern accent". I find that can help to get a range. Then practice loosing the accent or replacing it with another.

That may help.

mike short

Reaction score
Voices are my forte. As you pointed out, the most important thing is to find voices that do not hurt to do; if you are in any kind of physical pain after doing a voice you are doing something bad to your throat and you should stop doing that voice.

The parts of our body that make our voice range from in the middle of our skull all the way down to our diaphragms. You can pitch your voice from any point along this trail. Putting your voice at your diaphragm makes it deeper, putting it in the top of your body can make it higher. So, for female voices, allow your voice to resonate from anywhere around the top of your throat or the back of your mouth.

For a simple female voice, follow these steps: Go into a whisper (a true whisper does not use the vocal chords), and then add in a very soft, low-volume voice from the top of your throat. Make sure to maintain the breathy quality of the whisper. Avoid falsetto - women do not talk like Monty Python Old Ladies.

Pay attention to how people speak: women have very different vocal rhythms than men. An easy rule to remember: Men make statements, women ask questions. It sounds awful, but it's true. If you raise your voice at the end of any sentence it will sound more feminine.

And finally, it's hard to hit on any voice in the abstract. Listen to audio of women with distinctive voices, and try your best to copy them. I don't expect you to become a skilled impressionist, but it will help you make vocal discoveries.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I beg to differ. I talk like Monty Python Old Ladies every day.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
you know i once passed out doing a piggy voice...wasnt fun

mike short

Reaction score
I think you were doing the Piggy voice wrong. I mean, it may have sounded just like Piggy, but you were doing it in a way that is unhealthy for you. I cannot impress enough, there are certain things that your voice can and should be able to do, anything else can cause damage to your vocal chords.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I think you were doing the Piggy voice wrong. I mean, it may have sounded just like Piggy, but you were doing it in a way that is unhealthy for you. I cannot impress enough, there are certain things that your voice can and should be able to do, anything else can cause damage to your vocal chords.
oh yea i totally agree i was doing it wrong....ive learned a few new techniques for voices that shouldnt kill me

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My solution to this problem is...work with female puppeteers! :stick_out_tongue:

(I know, I'm absolutely no help)

wes

Reaction score
Boss Vt

I have a friend that has a voice modulator and with some twicking you can make a voice that sounds like a girl without hurting your voice.

Here it IS: BOSS VT

From what i heard they don't make these any more, so if you want one you have to get them on EBAY.

I was Really impressed with my friends But he wont sell it.