Glitch with the close quotation marks

Ruahnna

Reaction score
THis has happened to me on more than one occasion since the upgrade/update of MC, so I don't think it's me. When I copy and paste sections of a story into the screen (like the one I'm typing into now), it turns all of my "close quotations" into "U201D." (Wonders idly if the problem will occur in THIS post.) It is VEEEERRRRY annoying, since I've had to remove them manually bc there isn't a "search and replace" function. Can someone check this out for me? Oh, and it doesn't do that consistently--just on some of them. It's obviously reading a coded message into the close quotations symbol.

We love you for tidying up after us! Geeks maket he world go around faster, better and more efficiently!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Cath. Since this has to do with computer coding, all I can offer to do is help replace the U201D glitch with actual closing quote quotation marks.
Hope this helps, have a good day.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I've noticed it does this a lot more often when I write speech like this:

"I never met a radish I didn't like."

Upon hearing this all Reds' friends edged away with nervous glances.
But it happens less often when I write it like this.

"I never met a radish I didn't like." All Reds' friends edged away with nervous glances, making her fidget. "What? Is it something I said?"

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm not entirely sure why this glitch gets triggered. It does seem prevalent when editing in closing quotations after punctuation like commas, or question and exclamation marks, especially copying and pasting said edits from Word into a reply post. Would like to help more, but I'm just as stumped as you are regarding this.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The additional code is added formating that Word and other programs add behind the scenes. You'll want to copy the text without any formatting and you'll avoid having to change it manually in your posts.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, next to all the formating I would have to do if I posted it without any I would rather just fix the end quotes :3

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I'm using Vista Home Basic and Microsoft Office '07, and it does that space thing by default, but it is easy to turn off in formatting, leading me to wonder whether this is a true glitch or not?

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well the spaces I put in are more a part of my style of writing than anything as it makes things easier to read :smile:.

the U201D also likes to eat "..." at the end of things:coy:

Now that I think of it the U201D's only show up after I edit something a few times on the forum, they are almost never there when I first put text in and it is newly posted...

Beauregard

Reaction score
As far as I know, what it is...Is that in Word when you write "something" you'll notice it makes the first quotation marks slant inwards towards the text, and the last quotation marks slant back towards the text. When THAT is copied from word to here, it incures the wroth of the codeing.

If you change your Word settings (Autocorrect function) so that it doesn't change you " 's to "fancy" quotation marks, you shouldn't encounter the problem!

Redsonga

Reaction score
As far as I know, what it is...Is that in Word when you write "something" you'll notice it makes the first quotation marks slant inwards towards the text, and the last quotation marks slant back towards the text. When THAT is copied from word to here, it incures the wroth of the codeing.

If you change your Word settings (Autocorrect function) so that it doesn't change you " 's to "fancy" quotation marks, you shouldn't encounter the problem!
I don't use word though, I use NeoOffice:embarrassed: