Glory be! It's got CC!

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. Success for the deaf Muppet fans!

Some of you might remember that I was devastated to discover the Columbia TMS DVDs were not closed captioned, even though most sites said they would be. Since the DVDs weren't, I assumed the VHS tapes weren't either. WRONG! I happened to see them at Kmart, so I picked one up -- the CC symbol was there. I bought the first two tapes, and I can't wait for the others to be released! I had a wonderful Muppety evening watching these.

It's so odd that the VHS was captioned, but not DVD. Ah well. I'll take what I can get. :big_grin:

----------------------
PS- A really cute caption tidbit: When Swedish Chef talks, it says [scatting] when he does his BORK BORK BORK song. :smile:

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
See, that bugs me terribly.

There MOST DEFINITELY should be closed captioning on the TMS DVDs!! I think it is horribly wrong to deny hearing impared Muppet fans the pleasure of the Muppet Show. I am so glad you finally found a way to enjoy the show once more.=, even if it isn't on DVD. Hopefully one day they will rerelease the set with CC options.

-Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah, I minored in American Sign Language, so things in the deaf world get my attention. And yeah, I can't believe they'd caption VHS but not DVD! :mad: Grrrrrr...

The deaf and hard of hearing deserve the Muppets just as much as we do!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
The deaf and hard of hearing deserve the Muppets just as much as we do!
Even moreso! Wait...no, what Byron said...:big_grin:

-Matt

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
WOMAN! WOMAN!,

Oh, I'm so glad that you found CC! Even if it is on VHS. I too echo the sentiments of those who posted before me. I'm just happy that you were able to finally enjoy some Muppety goodness. Love the Swedish Chef scatting. Go scat go!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, Captioning is a funny thing, though. Granted, it provides a service to the hearing impaired so they cannot miss out on their favorite programs. But even then, there are problems. Personally I can hear, but I like to watch captioning.

Anyway, they always either cut stuff off, edit it, or mess up what their saying.

Example. On one episode of Bobby's world, he says "Mom has a lot to learn about bullys" but the captioning read "Boys" mnot Bullys" ANd it only works if the TV Picture is crystal clear. Other wise it cuts woirds together, or just doen't work.

Funny Tidbit. Kid's WB's Promos never blanked out the old CC on the clips of shows, so there would always be glitches with the captioning.

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
Yup, there are some glitches to it. Happens on DVD, too, but not as much. In the Muppet Movie (on DVD), the CC refers to the Cloris Leachman secretary character as Tracey and Casey interchangeably. I still don't know which is right. :smile:

However, my new tapes present the CC very well. I'm very happy with them.

Yeah, it's stupid not to caption the DVDs. I wrote to Tristar asking why, but I'm not betting on an answer. It's also stupid not to caption the extras on DVDs -- you'd be surprised how much that happens. The only two I can recall where EVERYTHING is captioned is 'The Godfather' trilogy and 'Jaws.'

Nothing much to do about it, though. I complain to companies (TimeLife is particularly bad -- my husband got the Beavis and Butthead 'Best of' set, and that's not CC, either), and they send back form e-mails that say absolutely nothing. :mad:

Anyway, thanks for your support. Maybe the third and fourth discs from Tristar will be captioned -- ya never know! :smile:

uncleduke

Reaction score
Since I am a night owl, I keep the CC on my television turned on, as not to keep others in the house awake.
One of the things I noticed is THE SIMPSONS frequently differs from what is spoken to what is written. One episode that comes to mind is the episode where Bart and Homer are tethered by Judge Harm...
Homer goes into Moe's, but Bart is not allowed. Moe SAYS "Yeah, well we've had to change our policy" (or words to that effect) but what is written is "Ever since those Bush twins were in here last week...."

Kinda interesting...

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
funny

Wow, that's REALLY different. I think it has something to do with that the script sometimes differs from the final show -- for instance, somebody ad libs and the producers decide to keep it, but the working script is not changed. I think pre-recorded stuff is captioned from the script only, not by the captioner actually watching the show and typing the words heard.

Live shows are a different story... most of the time, they're awful. I hardly ever watch broadcast news or the Daily Show on Comedy Central. Their captioning is the worst. Lags way behind and makes no sense.