Gluing Technique Help!

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
ravagefrackle said:
the glue u are reffering to is ment for STYRO FOAM, not foam rubber, its a craft glue, worth a shot , but contact cement is the way to go
That is what i was guessing, but thanks for the info.

SlamPot

Reaction score
The sheet foam and glue method is usually used only for puppets where the seams can be incorporated into the design, or when fleece covering will be used.
Lyle Conway told me he hand-carved the original Miss Piggy head from solid foam - finishing off with tiny curved nail scissors!
When a replacement was needed, he re-sculpted her in clay. A mould was made, and subsequent Miss Piggys were cast in foam latex.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
WOW, cool fact. :cool:

I always wondered about that because Piggy does not seem to be fleace covered.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
SlamPot said:
The sheet foam and glue method is usually used only for puppets where the seams can be incorporated into the design, or when fleece covering will be used.
not nessarily, many puppest over the years were simply just raw foam, the original memeber sof the electric mayhem, were just raw foam,all the frackles have raw patterend foam snouts, and many more, its all about being careful when you glue the stuff so that you dont over pinch the seems, or have rough edges,
[/QUOTE]Lyle Conway told me he hand-carved the original Miss Piggy head from solid foam - finishing off with tiny curved nail scissors!
When a replacement was needed, he re-sculpted her in clay. A mould was made, and subsequent Miss Piggys were cast in foam latex.[/QUOTE]

its still done today for all of the extra pigs, my last year thier we rebuilt many of the old pigs which were pretty much ruined when they were turned into boars for treasure island, its a time consumming process but i personally feel that it is a far superior method compared to the foam latex pig heads, they are very heavy, tear easy, and i dont think they move as well as the old carved pig heads

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I dug this thread back up to explain what is already common knowledge to most who has been building puppets but for the sake of those who have not. Gluing foam with contact cement.... The key really is double blotting. you really just want a hint of contact cement on the pieces your glueing. Don't try to put glue on more than 3 inches at a time. Put contact cement on a piece of scrap foam with a brush or what I use is a dobber like whats in a can of plumbing cement. I get them at a discount hardware store. When applying you should not see much difference in color on the foam or if you put so much on that you need to use a hair dryer to dry the glue then your using too much. A little wave of the glued pieces in the air should be enough. Forget the impulse that says if a littles good than alot is REAL good. I found out it's not. Because of this I had very dark yellow seams. Also when putting the glued pieced together, make sure the glue is dry. I've had many seams come apart from too much glue and not getting them dry enough before sticking them together. Line the seams up very carefully and instead of pinching along the outside of the foam where you see the seam, grab the foam and pinch it together in the middle to get a good bond. This is an example of what I mean.http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/puppet_builder/album?.dir=a87e&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos I still don't know how to post a link yet.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Yeah, I work with contact cemant at work, and the longer you leave it to dry, the stronger the bond.
This can mean, if you let both surfaces dry enough ,the bond will be very strong so ,don't make a mistake with the bonding or you'll have to start again ,because pulling it apart will ruin it.