Gonzo @ Cinespia Graveyard Screening, Hollywood

doc hopper

Reaction score
So, I didn't see that anyone else had posted about this but the Cinespia series in Hollywood (read my lips, "Haaa-leewood)") presented The Muppet Movie last night.

Cinespia presents screenings under the stars on the grounds of the Hollywood Forever Cemetery every summer. And since I haven't gone to one of these in a year or so, I can't say if it was the Muppet Movie itself or the event series that brought such a crowd last night. But it was more than packed and had to be a record of some kind. Thousands showed up, and I'm certain they had to turn people away.

Leading up to the film, pictures of the muppets were projected digitally, each getting a wild round of applause. The DJ played "rubber duckie," the theme to sesame street (which were both odd since I usually think of the Muppet Show muppets and Sesame Street as two different things) and ended with a cover of Movin' Right Along.

When the organizer spoke, you could tell he was a super fan and had as much passion and excitement for the characters, Jim Henson and this film as all of us in the crowd did.

But we were all surprised when he announced a special guest: GONZO. Gonzo's appearance was a real thrill, though his material was iffy. Mostly jokes about appearing in a graveyard that fell a little flat. But who cares? We couldn't have been more excited to see him. Then after Gonzo was done, the organizer brought Dave Goelz out from behind the wall to make his introduction.

This was a very respectful crowd of LA muppet fans who you can tell were all touched by the Muppets and Jim Henson. There were hipsters and dorks, kids and parents, nerds and the beautiful people. But we were all together last night, laughing at the same jokes, smiling and sometimes shedding a tear.

Of course, I'm not sure what the crowd's going to be like at tonight's screening of Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke, but I have a pretty good idea.

doc hopper

Reaction score
Well, I just found where you guys had already posted about the series, so I apologize for posting about it. But was anyone else there? I'd like to hear more about the experience.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow man! This is really good news, and we have been hearing about things like this for about two years now. The More Henson and Muppets events out there the bigger the crowd.
I also think Disney is doing a great job at slowly getting the Muppets out there for people. It must have been awesome getting to be that close to Gonzo and Dave, even if some of the jokes where a little flat.

doc hopper

Reaction score
Yeah! It's so great to see something like this. It's funny, for so many years it seemed like the Muppets and the Muppet Movie were my little thing. It's things like Muppet Central and this event that make you realize just how important they are to so many people.

vaati64

Reaction score
Dave (and hopefully Gonzo as well) will also be at the Muppet's History 101 and Music Moments this Friday at the Cinefamily Theatre in Los Angeles. We are going. Has anyone else gotten tickets yet? Also, at these events, do the special guests generally take time to sign stuff? I would love to get Dave and Gonzo's autograph!