Good bye Conan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwO6BkCtIo
:crazy:
O.O...who saw THAT coming?
Jimmy really embarrassed Jay on that one!
That was so incredibly evil and painful to watch. I have never been a Kimmel fan. This, and his affection for Muppets, has made me come around to respecting him.

It’s said that that Seinfeld is Jay’s only ally, but director Kevin Smith apparently has offered Jay a little support as well. That’s the only strange comment I’ve heard. He blames NBC, but in all honesty they just shuffled their primetime schedule around to keep Leno happy and they’re still doing it. He should have retired.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It’s said that that Seinfeld is Jay’s only ally, but director Kevin Smith apparently has offered Jay a little support as well. That’s the only strange comment I’ve heard. He blames NBC, but in all honesty they just shuffled their primetime schedule around to keep Leno happy and they’re still doing it. He should have retired.
As far as I know Leno completely signed off on his pledge to retire years ago and had second thoughts when the time actually came. NBC just completely caved into his whining and threats to leave the network because they thought that he'd be viable competition for, again, a network who hasn't had a viable late night talk show EVER.

Leno has turned into a bad comedian who won't leave the stage after being heckled to death for hogging the spotlight and not even being professional about it. And a lot of Leno's supporters are dusting off the pathetic "No one listens to anyone who isn't 18-35" chestnut as an excuse to support someone who Indian gifted a whole show to an up and comer.

I'm sorry, but even if you're a fan, there's NO supporting his unprofessional, bullying, baby-ish behavior. And Jimmy Kimmel rightly slammed him in that interview.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting how Jay seems to even want to soak up all the press for this...even the negative press. He so badly wants attention and maybe he thinks that with enough insults that public opinion will eventually favor him. He's lost me for good...except for any Muppet appearance, of course. :wink:

He never really had me as a viewer after the original Late Night wars anyway. It's still all Dave IMHO. He's always so funny and once the lights go off and he goes home there's no mugging in the press. He has his own life and his fans could care less. They just like his funny show and that's how it's supposed to be. :zany:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus, frankly, his 10 PM show sucked. I only saw it a couple times (and only recently tuned in for Bill Cosby) and it felt like an uneven rushed retread of his old show.

But this all reeks of unprofessionalism, and I don't think ANYONE felt that a 10 PM slot would work. I'm shocked they didn't even try it for a year, and even I doubted it would work.

Here's how I was thinking it was going to go down... no matter how bad the ratings were, he was under such a stiff contract that they'd keep the show no matter what for at LEAST a year. Even if the ratings sucked, it was cheap enough to produce.

That sad thing is, NBC doesn't really have anything else to put in that timeslot. There is NO show that's going to feel right in ER's timeslot (it took a heck of a time refilling Seinfeld's slot... and every Thursday show that ended before the Office too its slot). Medium they tossed to CBS. so no matter what goes down, it ain't gonna be good.

What really worries me is Seinfeld's new reality show about the Marriage Ref. And if there was one thing Jay's show was good for, it was not letting Biggest Loser become a three hour show.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Jay Leno is an example of what I refer to as the Demi Moore syndrome. Remember when she was in several big-money-making films? Studios attributed the success to her when in reality she was merely a component among many things that made those films successful. They figured that out later when they paid her one of the largest salaries in Hollywood to star in one flop after another.

Jay Leno's Tonight Show wasn't successful because he was the star. The Tonight Show has a prestige that came long before him. Dave's wit can be razor sharp and that puts some people off. Leno's humor is harmless and forgettable. It's like junk food that's easily digestible to the American public. Leno's 10pm show demonstrated that he has nothing new to offer television other than the standard, generic pulp seen as comfort food to those who might not get the humor of Dave or Conan.

Jay Leno is a good example of how America rewards mediocrity. Sounds harsh, but I mean it. He's Olive Garden, Mc Donald’s, G.W. Bush and Cheez Wiz rolled into one person.

vaati64

Reaction score
Guys and Gals of Muppetcentral:

For those that have not yet done so, please join the I'm with COCO group on Facebook. We're over 200,000 strong, and could always use more followers! Please show your support for Conan. Together, we can show NBC what a mistake they have made by putting Jay Leno back at 11:35! Please join!

http://www.facebook.com/imwithcoco?ref=nf