Goosebumps Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never really liked the books growing up. I was more into animorphs. I think, with me, the books were too easy to read. I still don't particularly like the books, although i do love the choose your own adventure books in the series.

Also, the tv show is amazing. its so cheesy its amazing and no one can tell me otherwise

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, I saw the Goosebumps movie yesterday, and it was good. I noticed during the credits it said "based on the Goosebumps book series written by R.L. Stein and created by Paperback Press" (or was it Scholastic that got the "created by" credit?). I thought R.L. Stein created the book series, though it is odd that a company rather than an individual was credited as the creator. So did the company decide to make the series and hire R.L. to be the writer of all of them (I know, it's rumored that he's had ghost writers, but even if that's true, he still gets all the author credit)? Or is it hard for an anthology series to really have a creator?

I should have been more observant (or should just check Google), but has there been much Goosebumps stuff to tie-in with the movie (besides things related directly to it)? Any books given rereleases (even though I think all of them were still in print)? Any new DVD releases (as of last year it seems like there were only single-disc releases, as opposed to season sets, though the whole series is on Netflix)?

Actually, thinking about how there's only been single-disc releases, I am reminded of the old VHS releases. It seems like the only episodes to have been released on VHS were the ones that were originally broadcast as hour-long episodes. I wonder if they ever considered releasing a video with two separate half-hour episodes (or even releases of just one half-hour show). Or, as it's an anthology show, do they have to renegotiate residuals with the cast and crew whenever episodes are released commercially?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, R.L. Stine was the original series author, and the run of books was originally published by Scholastic. There was a split between the two, which would explain why a new company is the current publisher and might get such credit in the movie. Would advise you go straight to the Goosebumps Wiki and search for the pertinent info there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Any new DVD releases (as of last year it seems like there were only single-disc releases, as opposed to season sets, though the whole series is on Netflix)?
I was just looking online, and saw that there have been season sets, but they were released in countries outside of the US.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear we had a thread about the movie, but...

Sony wants to make a sequel film to Goosebumps, even though it only grossed 150 mil worldwide. I don't know the exact budget of the film, but it must've made back enough for Sony to want to do a second film.

Now, again I never really cared much for the books or series because I was just at the age where I'd be too old for that sort of thing (though that has never stopped me before and my extensive Mixel collection can attest to that). I don't have that sacred part of my childhood satisfied/ruined angle on this. The first film looked like an anniversary/fandom project (which I'd also call The Muppets '11) instead of adapting one of the books for a movie length plot. If they went that route, I don't see what the second one would be, or even why a modest take like that would warrant the need for a sequel.