Great Cookie Thief

Censored

Reaction score
Remember the old Western Muppet skit where Cookie Monster was "The Great Cookie Thief"? The whole joke was that the cowboys had trouble recognizing Cookie Monster on the wanted poster and were fooled when he drew a mustache on the poster.

BUT, did you ever notice that the poster actually did NOT look exactly like the current Cookie Monster used in that skit? For one thing, the picture of Cookie Monster on the poster had a lighter shade of blue and a different shaped mouth. It actually seemed to resemble the original Cookie Monster used in the first season, rather than the more modern version used in that skit. Also, in the poster, Cookie Monster's hat is much longer than the one the actual muppet was wearing. I wonder if that picture was originally drawn at an earlier time and/or for a different skit.

superboober

Reaction score
I don't know if this can help in any way, but when was young I had a video that included an animated version of this sketch. I'm not sure if it was released before or after the actual show version was, but if it was before, maybe they were working of the video edition for the poster? I don't know, but it's all I can gander offhand.

Java

Reaction score
Maybe you saw it on youtube, but here's the link to the clip to help refresh peoples memories.

Personally, I think some of the differences could be attributed to the style of poster they were going for for the skit.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed the slight differences before you pointed this out. Interesting. I can see it being either like GeeBee said from season one, or just various ways they were experimenting with the picture, like Java theorized.
And in the youtube thread I referenced a lot of recent great clips I've enjoyed seeing there but forgot about this one. The real neat thing about "the Great Cookie Thief" is that it's a skit I COMPLETELY forgot about all these years. I never came across it being mentioned here at the forum before either, despite all the classic SS and CM threads. But when I viewed this on youtube it sure came back to me. I saw it a number of times in the early 70's. And it's a pretty clever and funny one too (eg. "Uhhhh... look over there. Huh? What's he talkin' about? I don't know maybe a stage coach or somethin'). Odd that it totally leaked away from my SS memory bank all these years. But that sure made for sweet nostalgia all the more!

JLG

Reaction score
"Uh...yeah-yeah-yeah, but, ah...not have same...moustache!"

LOL.

I think they probably just hired some artist to draw that picture, and they didn't pay enough attention to whether the hat looked the same. Just sloppiness. And I think Cookie's face looking slightly different is just because of the artist slightly "cartoonifying" it.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I have the book :smile:

and they took down your clip due to a violation it says

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm not really sure whether the skit came first or if the book came first, though there are quite a few Sesame Street skits that were adapted into storybooks (the episode about Mr. Hooper's death was also made into a book). As for the video that people are referring to, that was Three Sesame Street Stories, released by Golden Book Home Video. Golden Book released several videos based on it's boks, where stills of the page illustrations were used, and a very limited amount of animation was also used. Golden Books released two different Sesame Street videos.