Greek Mythology 101

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Welp, since Matt and I have been discussin' the ol' Greek myths a bit in his "Matt joins the gods on Mount Olympus" thread, I thought it'd be fun to start a whole thread on nothin' but Greek mythology (yeah, like this is never gonna go off topic...lol).

Anyway, like Matt and I said in some IMs, they are SOOOO not gonna give all the good juicy details in school, so if anyone wants to know some good "dirt" on any gods or mortals, ask away! I just love diggin' into my books (and weird memory) and "talkin' 'bout my buds".

And some myths have several different versions, so we could have some interesting discussions...who knows, there may be other big Greek myth fans in here, too---join in the talks! :big_grin:

towels

Reaction score
I'm starting the clock to see how many posts this thread gets before we get the joke from TMM...

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
MYTH, MYTH!! :stick_out_tongue:

*whips out a Carol Kane look-a-like dress*

YES? :big_grin:

- Billy :cool:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
*did SO not get that until he read Billy's reply*

I was like, "Huh? Ummm.....'Harry Krishna', no....hmm....:confused: "

LOL

:embarrassed:

(and it was 3 minutes, lol! Only at a Muppet board!)

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Oh yay! I love Greek Mythology! ^____^

Tis fun! I even named my German Shepard Zeus when I was nine years old... cuz Zeus was the God of the Gods, my Zeus is the dog of the dogs!

(And I didn't get that joke... am I a bad Muppet fan?)

But ANYHOOZLES, y'know what my favourite story from Greek Mythology was? The one about the origins of spiders. I don't remember it so well now, but Athena (Goddess of Wisdom! HA! Women are smarter...) was having a weaving contest with some mortal chick, and the mortal chick made a weave mocking all the Gods of Mount Olympus, so Athena turned her into a hideous creature! Otherwise known as a spider, and that's why spider's make webs! YAY!

^_^ Debo

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Deb's retelling of a classic myth

LOL! Yep, I think from most versions I've read, Arachne (the overconfident chick) wove her tapestry showin' Zeus's infedelities in his many guises. :eek:

Jeez Arachne, how dumb can you be? Lol! Too brazen, ya hussy!

Really!

Too brazen!

And yeah, Arachne boasted that was a better weaver than even the goddess whose realm "weaving" was, so Athena then challenged the foolish girl to a "weavin' duel", lol.

(Hmmm, it seems to always follow in the myths, if you boast you're better than a god, said god challenges you, you lose, you die or get some sort of life-long trauma----SO DON'T DO IT!)

Oh, and an interesting note---many say that Arachne's tapestry was equally as good as Athena's, and no flaw could be found. But her subject matter enraged Athena (Daddy's girl), so she struck her with her shuttle and turned her into the icky thing. Lol

Jackie, we are SOOOOOO talkin' about you! LOL!!!

EmmyMik

Reaction score
I've always had an interest in Greek mythology.

In high school I even took a class on mythology (it was a science fiction and mythology class. It was very interesting. We studied science fiction and all sorts of ancient myths. Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian. But the only thing I can remember is we watched some episode of Star Trek).

Actually, my high school was pretty big on mythology. Each year in English class we studied it (I remembered one year my friend and I decided to become goddesses. I was the Goddess of Bright Colors and Long Names)...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
I was the Goddess of Bright Colors and Long Names)...
Lol, cool! I would be sure to sacrifice to you and spread your worship all through ancient Greece (or ancient Kentucky) so that you might bless me with VIVID GREEN in my life. :smile:

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
Lol, cool! I would be sure to sacrifice to you and spread your worship all through ancient Greece (or ancient Kentucky) so that you might bless me with VIVID GREEN in my life. :smile:
Well you'd either get green or you'd suddenly have a very long last name (perhaps containing the phrase "Vivid green")...

:big_grin: