Greenpeace Blasts Decision to Exclude Tongass from Roadless Rule

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I was kind of just teasing about Wolfowitz, but I've always found it interesting how the U.S. system has only two effective parties (since Reform and Green have almost no influence) and you're required to register with one party or as an independent.

You register without any affliation here and Canada actually has five major parties (Liberal, NDP, Conservative, Canadian Alliance, and Bloc Quebecois) although since the Liberals are a centrist party, the far right vote is split between the Conservatives and the Cdn Alliance and there's not enough left wing support for the NDP it's meant that the Liberals have effectively turned Canada in to a one-party state.

I think have more choice is a good thing, but obviously f you have too much choice your Parliament ends up looking more and more like Italy's.

Beebers

Reaction score
Yes, true all around. We only had one viable party in the very early beginning years, and you can have too many as well. The thing is that here, if you make enough noise you can effect real change, that still is true in this world. It's still we the people, we the people just aren't doing much lately, unfortunately. Phantom, I didn't think I'd said anything inflammatory and was indeed striving not to. This is a temporary thread for a temporary environmental worry, it'll go away. Don't leave MC over it.

:big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Phantom said:
Here we go again. :attitude:

Why must everything become a political discussion? I come to MC to get away from this type of wrangling. I see this as a place where people put aside their differences because of one common identity; being a Muppet fan. We can laugh and joke and throw creamed corn at each other, but when we pick up political identities in threads such as this, the unity goes right out the window. Even when religion becomes part of thread, everyone is respectful, but not in political discussions. It makes me want to leave MC.
To be fair Phantom, this was a politically-themed thread from the start and it's posted in the General Discussion area. As long as everyone is respectful (Bush-bashing aside LOL) the discussion is within the forum guidelines (so far at least).

If some members dislike political discussions maybe they can just not read some threads in the General area? Political discussions in any other section of the board are probably inappropriate.

Any moderators want to weigh in here with their opinion about this? :confused:

jediX

Reaction score
Phantom said:
Here we go again. :attitude:

Why must everything become a political discussion? I come to MC to get away from this type of wrangling. I see this as a place where people put aside their differences because of one common identity; being a Muppet fan. We can laugh and joke and throw creamed corn at each other, but when we pick up political identities in threads such as this, the unity goes right out the window. Even when religion becomes part of thread, everyone is respectful, but not in political discussions. It makes me want to leave MC.
Agreed. :sympathy: Anyone have some creamed corn? :wink:

Beebers

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
To be fair Phantom, this was a politically-themed thread from the start and it's posted in the General Discussion area. As long as everyone is respectful (Bush-bashing aside LOL) the discussion is within the forum guidelines (so far at least).

If some members dislike political discussions maybe they can just not read some threads in the General area? Political discussions in any other section of the board are probably inappropriate.

Well said. I happen to enjoy (courteously-conducted) political discussions but I know many people don't and I respect that. But couldn't one stay away from it, as I would stay away from, say, a sports thread?
I'll be interested to see if any moderators weigh in on your question.

Phantom

Reaction score
I don't guess I'll leave over this thread and nothing here has offended me, however I hate to see threads politicized.

Everywhere I look I see one side saying something about the other side. Everything is lib or conservative, Republican or Democrat, right or left. I was at a bookstore in Chattanooga this weekend and on one side of a table is conservative propaganda and on the other side is liberal propaganda and, really, it made me ill.

I'm pretty conservative, but the name calling and blame game doesn't help move America forward. I haven't agreed with everything this President has done, but I think he is trying to do his best, just as the 42 previous Presidents before him. I don't agree with willy-nilly logging and I believe we have the right in this country to challenge the status quo and exact change (it's called freedom). I just don't want to talk about it here...unless Kermit is running for office...just not part of the "Green" party. (previous comment was a joke and no reflection of my thoughts on the Green party)

None of these comments are directed toward any one person or persons, I'm just venting about what I see as a decay of our political system. It use to be about ideas.

jediX

Reaction score
I don't think Kermit is green party anyway; I can't remember what he said he was (but I do know he brought it up when he was guest hosting on Kimmel). Oh well, I'd vote for ol' Kerm no matter what he was but lo, he is felt. lol

Beebers

Reaction score
I believe Kermit represents the Mom'sspringcoat Party, if I recall correctly.
I understand fully, Phantom.
It still can and should be about ideas.

:big_grin:

Phantom

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:

I am not suggesting that political discussion not take place nor am I against debate, but I have seen two many of these discussions turn from a discussion of the issue into name calling and "insert elected offical's name here" bashing. And that is where these threads wind up. How many tree's does that save?

If you are looking to find appropriate channels to register dissent on this issue, your congressman would be a good start.

Beebers

Reaction score
Yes peoples, for those interested, start with your congressmen. I just thought that went without saying, sorry. I'm looking for other avenues additional to that. I've spent decades in environmental and education agitation and there are some other ways, too. Contact your congressmen.

:cool: