Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio is finally happening with Henson Co.

Laszlo

Reaction score
That's a different Henson-based deal with different people. It has no bearing on this project one way or the other, so can't we at least be happy for this longtime-coming victory? :super:
Well... there are already a lot of very well made stop motion movies, and also a lot of Pinocchio movies. But there is only ONE Dark Crystal, no other movie can compare to it. Maybe Camerons AVATAR... but no ... it has humans in it and lacks any magic.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Avatar doesn't deserve to be uttered in the same paragraph as The Dark Crystal. James Cameron's name shouldn't even be spat out in the same page as Jim Henson's name.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Avatar doesn't deserve to be uttered in the same paragraph as The Dark Crystal. James Cameron's name shouldn't even be spat out in the same page as Jim Henson's name.
I may not have liked the Dark Crystal, but I do know quality production when I see it. I totally agree. Avatar doesn't deserve nearly half the praise it gets. Motion capture cgi is nothing special. Sure it looked pretty, but any big budget movie company could pull it off if they actually wanted to. There is something about Henson works that no one can truly replicate.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well... there are already a lot of very well made stop motion movies, and also a lot of Pinocchio movies. But there is only ONE Dark Crystal, no other movie can compare to it. Maybe Camerons AVATAR... but no ... it has humans in it and lacks any magic.
This is an entirely different topic! The reason that this film is being made has no bearing on the fact that the Dark Crystal is stuck in purgatory. I understand the frustration because I'm upset about that too, but the griping is misplaced here and the comparison of the two projects is meaningless.

Maybe the Power of the Dark Crystal would be farther along if it had someone like Del Toro behind it, but that's another topic for another thread and there's already one for that. :wink:

There have been a lot of versions of Pinocchio, but arguably none have lived up to the book. This incarnation has tackled the challenge and with n unbelievable creative team. The fact that the Jim Henson Company will be providing the stop motion puppets should be exciting for any fan of the company's fantasy properties. I think this is a first for them, right?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Wait...you mean that sequel was actually supposed to go into production? I thought it was just rumors. Shows how much I pay attention :embarrassed:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Wait...you mean that sequel was actually supposed to go into production? I thought it was just rumors. Shows how much I pay attention :embarrassed:
Yup. Here's the skinny on that from the Muppet Wiki. It's beyond frustrating, but the failure to bring the Dark Crystal sequel to screen over the last 7 years has nothing to do with the furthering of this Pinocchio film. Different players, different game. I think it's just exciting that the Henson people are going into stop motion animation. For some reason that cool factor is being lost here. :confused:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Now I understand what Laszlo was getting at. I was kinda wondering what DC had anything to do with this :embarrassed:

I'm excited just because its a stop motion movie. The fact Henson is working on it a bonus

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is an entirely different topic! The reason that this film is being made has no bearing on the fact that the Dark Crystal is stuck in purgatory. I understand the frustration because I'm upset about that too, but the griping is misplaced here and the comparison of the two projects is meaningless.

Maybe the Power of the Dark Crystal would be farther along if it had someone like Del Toro behind it, but that's another topic for another thread and there's already one for that. :wink:

There have been a lot of versions of Pinocchio, but arguably none have lived up to the book. This incarnation has tackled the challenge and with n unbelievable creative team. The fact that the Jim Henson Company will be providing the stop motion puppets should be exciting for any fan of the company's fantasy properties. I think this is a first for them, right?
The fact is simple. JHC would have to make all those expensive puppets, find another production company to help fund it, and they lacked that big name that Del Toro brings. I'd say if Del Toro has his own production company, he'd have to do all the work and Henson would just attach their name to it and share in the Box Office. But that's only a guess, and there's no evidence to support that.

DC 2 is first and foremost a sequel to a movie from 30 years ago. Disney was sort of lucky with the second Tron, but only because Tron became a cult film for flopping back when it first came out. But long awaited sequels like that never really manage to find their footing. Look at the last Indiana Jones. Everyone desperately wanted to see it get made and put SOOO much anticipation behind it that when it finally came out and got done, everyone said, "Oh.... that's what you made? Why did you make another one?" :rolleyes: That's what would happen if DC 2 was made. I guarantee it. I can't wait for people to crap all over Men in Black 3.

But Pinocchio... that's a story told many times, but a well known one. It's a safer gamble, more production companies would be likely to jump on it AND Del Toro's name.

Laszlo

Reaction score
This is an entirely different topic! The reason that this film is being made has no bearing on the fact that the Dark Crystal is stuck in purgatory.
That is true. But still frustrating, because I think the script is great!

Laszlo

Reaction score
Look at the last Indiana Jones. Everyone desperately wanted to see it get made and put SOOO much anticipation behind it that when it finally came out and got done, everyone said, "Oh.... that's what you made?
Who cares? It made a LOT of money:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Budget:$185,000,000 (estimated)
Gross:$786,636,033 (Worldwide)