Half of the Stairs are Missing

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wow...stunning. I'd forgotten just how much I missed your writing, Lisa. It beckons. It beckons. Now, I'm just not letting myself think about little Robin here, because I know you well enough to know that he's in no immediate danger...and that we're not going to find out anything about him for about another 7 chapters anyway...Instead, I'm most worried about Fozzie because FOZZIE considers himself responsible...and there is nothing more heartbreaking than Fozzie considering himself responsible. And I'm so afraid that Kermit is going to snap at him, and Fozzie would never recover from that...

Also, Gonzo. Glad that he's helping, but he was originally going to sing "Two Lost Souls" with Robin, before his long arm meant he couldn't...so there's obviously a connection there.

Sweetums...I'm frightened of what he might do if he gets upset or goes into a rage. Do the words, "Hulk Smash" mean anything to you?

Over all, you've struck again. Struck deep young Lisa.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Man, I didn't get on MC much this weekend, I am ashamed to admit I don't spend as much time here at all anymore and one of the reasons - lack of excellent fan fiction like this. From authors I love like YOU. Lisa, this is an amazing start to the story and the title, oh you got me withi the title before I even dove in, I just knew it was a Robin story. And when you introduced it and mentioned the summer of 2005 - wow. I remember that summer. I remember those days of so many stories to read, stories I was writing too, stories that Prawnie wrote and Ed and Beau and everyone. That was an awesome summer. Maybe this summer we can all recreate that. At any rate, once again you've done it, welcome back and it gives me so much thrill to say to you again: MORE PLEASE!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Three

Kermit watched without seeing as his flippers met the floor of the waiting room again and again and again. Once in a while, he turned. More than once, he turned after having walked straight into a wall or a piece of furniture. He was shaking.

“Robin,” he mumbled again and again as he stared unseeing at his flippers. “Robin, Robin…”

Thunk. Oh yeah. Wall.

“Robin… Robin…”

They had pried him from his nephew’s side mere moments after they’d arrived at the hospital. The tiny frog had been whisked away on that big gurney behind some cold, emotionless double-doors…

At the same time, someone in scrubs had handed him a small stack of paperwork about the five-year-old frog’s insurance, medical history, allergies, health conditions… He was only five years old. Only five. Only six ounces…

Kermit had somehow managed to fill out the details of the forms, and someone in scrubs had whisked it away with the assurance that they would tell him as soon as there was anything to tell… as if that was any assurance at all.

“Robin…” Thunk. Oops. “Robin, Robin…”

He had to be okay. HAD to be! He was GOING to make it, and… and live, and… and…

Kermit trembled as he paced the waiting room, occasionally bumping into a wall or a chair or a table… He didn’t know what else to do.

That was how the Muppets found him. They watched him for several long moments, waiting for him to notice the huge group of people—of his family—that had just entered the room.

He didn’t.

The Muppets shifted and nudged each other forward like a crowd of penguins—although, some of them were penguins, anyway—until Fozzie was finally prodded ahead of them all. With a hard gulp, his limp hat lopsided on his head, still clutching that pathetic ball to his stomach, the bear meekly inched his way towards his friend.

“Robin,” the trembling frog mumbled. “My—Robin—“ He weakly shook his head. “Why…”

Fozzie pushed the ball into his stomach so hard that it hurt as he stepped into the frog’s path. “K—Kermit?” he choked out.

Kermit walked straight into the bear and immediately snatched him, clenching the brown fur in his green hands. “WHY WERE YOU SO CLOSE TO THE ROAD?” he screamed.

The ball dropped, bounced, and rolled across the cold tile floor.

The frog’s knees buckled, but his impossibly tight grip on the bear’s fur kept him off the floor—for now, at least. “My Robin—“ he croaked. “Robin—Robin…”

Fozzie shakily wrapped his arms around the bawling frog as his own tears sprang forth again. “I—I—I’m sorry—“

Kermit somehow lost his grip on his best friend's fur and slid down through the bear's arms. He curled in desperate tears on the cold hospital floor.

Gonzo bent over and picked up the ball that had rolled into his foot. He gulped.

“I’m sorry!” Fozzie wailed, slipping his shapeless hat from his head as he dropped to his knees before his friend. “Kermit, I… I didn’t—mean—“

Gonzo stood as still as stone, staring down at the ball in his hands as the rest of the Muppets surged forward and gathered around the two on the floor. Sweetums parted the crowd with two giant steps forward and swooped down, scooping up frog and bear in one arm each and gently, grimly setting them on the couch, where the rest of the Muppets fretted over which of the two was in most desperate need of hugs and tissues. Then the hulking beast turned and trudged over to where Gonzo stood alone.

Gonzo looked up to him, his eyelids hanging low with a heavy sigh. Sweetums bent over and put a heavy hand on Gonzo’s shoulder, nudging him towards the couch. Gonzo gulped, nodded, and stepped forward. Sweetums stood back, quietly watching.

They had propped Kermit up among the other Muppets, and they were holding him, wiping his tears… He was clenching someone’s hand, but he didn’t particularly know or care whose it was. He was very still, staring out at something, not seeing anything.

Gonzo gulped as he stepped forward. “…Kermit?” he said quietly.

The frog turned his head, staring blankly at the whatever through a mess of tears.

Gonzo inched closer and handed the ball to him. “Here,” he said quietly.

Kermit numbly took the ball and set it in his lap. He stared at it, and nodded. Gonzo sat down on the floor and leaned against the couch.

Sweetums hugged himself tight and slowly dragged his feet across the cold tile of the waiting room floor. He leaned his head against a window, staring down at the rose bushes just beneath the glass…

The double doors opened. “Mr. the Frog?” a soft voice said.

Kermit shot to his flippers, breaking out of the arms of his friends, clutching the ball to his stomach. The other Muppets all lifted their heads, their attention snapping to the woman in scrubs who had just addressed their leader. “Yes?” Kermit said quietly, shakily.

She came to stand in front of him, putting a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. “He’s… stable,” she said quietly. “We’ll be moving him to the pediatric wing soon, but… you can see him now.”

“Is he okay?” Rowlf asked.

The woman looked at him, and then at the rest of the crowd. “…He… will need a lot of time to recover,” she said quietly, choosing her words carefully. “If… If he recovers.”

“He will,” Kermit heard himself say, very quietly but very, very firmly.

The woman slowly nodded. “Follow me, Mr. the Frog,” she said quietly, and she looked at the other Muppets. “The rest of you will be able to see him, once he’s moved, but it’s best if we keep the crowd down for now.”

The Muppets nodded and watched as their nearly-fearless leader quietly trudged after the nurse to face his greatest fear. He vanished behind the double doors.

Fozzie swallowed hard. “If?” he whispered meekly.

“He will,” Gonzo said firmly. “You heard Kermit. He will be okay.”

Sweetums hugged himself a little tighter.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm...Just...Couldn't...I'm just...I didn't think you would, but you did...Oh Kermit...Oh Fozzie...Oh Kermit...Oh FOZZIE...oh KERMIT...OH FOZZIE!...shhhhhhhhh....

theprawncracker

Reaction score
...Oh my... GOSH! This might actually be the most heart-wrenching thing that I have EVER read from you, Lisa. It's SO powerful and SO good. I loved it. The relationship of three Muppketeers team of Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo positively oozes through this chapter and I absolutely love it. It's inspiring, that's what it is! It makes me want to pop open my own story and write a great K.F.G. scene (curse this stupid social life preventing me from doing so!).

Keep this up. It's brilliant--and you do hospital scenes the best out of anyone I know. So... MORE PLEASE!

Elmo The Second

Reaction score
OMG! This is like the Young and the Restless ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL over agian! I feel like crying. Poor Robin. Just like Pawncracker. MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE Please! Never Stop! =[

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
That may be the single most heartwrenching scene you've ever written. I could hardly breathe while reading it! And yet, even with the drama and the sadness and everything - everyone is PERFECTLY in character.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Four

The woman led him through the massive room. Curtains all around the sides of the room sectioned off individual beds…

“He’s still unconscious,” she said quietly as she stopped in front of one curtained-off bed. “The doctor will stop by soon, to explain details.” She pulled the curtain back a few inches and gestured for him to go in.

He didn't know or care that he was shaking as he stepped into the space. He gripped the curtain for support. "Rob-in," he whispered.

The tiny little frog looked even smaller in the huge hospital bed. There was an oxygen mask over his face. There was an IV drip, and a heart monitor, and… And his nephew... looking so small and fragile...

"Oh..." He somehow got to the edge of the bed, where he sat and reached out to fold Robin's small, little hand in both of his own, leaving the ball in his lap.

He sank down and hunched over, putting his head near their hands, his eyes never parting from the young frog's face as he gently set a kiss on those tiny fingertips.

"Robin?" he whispered. "It—it's gonna be okay..." He felt his shoulders shift. "It's gonna be okay, Robin. ...I'm here. Uncle Kermit's here... and…" He held the hand firmly. "It's gonna be okay," he said. "You're gonna wake up. And everything'll be okay..."

He swallowed hard and, keeping his eyes locked on his nephew, carefully lifted the ball from his lap and set it beneath the little frog’s hand.

“There,” he said faintly. “It’ll be okay…”

Robin lay very still in the hospital bed as the monitor counted out his every heartbeat.

The curtain pulled back behind him. “Mr. the Frog?”

Kermit straightened up and glanced over his shoulder at the doctor, his hands still wrapped over Robin’s.

“I’m Dr. Livelong. I understand you’re Robin’s… guardian?”

“Until his parents get here,” Kermit said quietly, his worried eyes straying to his nephew again. “He lives with me…”

Dr. Livelong nodded and sat down at the foot of the bed. “I’m afraid he’s in bad shape,” he said, picking up a chart that had been hanging on the bed. “Fractures all through his right arm… shattered several bones of his right hand. That will take some extensive physical therapy, but he’s young enough that he should be able to regain full motor skills, if…”

“He will,” Kermit whispered, not needing to hear that if, his eyes remaining locked on his nephew. “He will wake up.”

“…He’s doing remarkably well, all things considered,” Dr. Livelong said quietly. “His heartbeat, is… is weak, but… steady. He had some—considerable bruising, of course, but… most of his bones are—surprisingly intact.”

“…Bruising, and broken bones…” Kermit mumbled quietly, trying to piece everything together. He slowly turned and looked at the doctor. “…Why isn’t he awake?” he asked.

Dr. Livelong winced. He had been dreading telling this part. “…His head… was knocked around, pretty hard,” he said quietly. “It hit the car, and the pavement… We’re not sure yet, what the full extent of the brain damage is. His skull is fractured… which—may have saved his life, really. It released the pressure…”

Kermit gulped and turned to look at his nephew and the ball that was resting beneath that tiny green hand.

“Have you contacted his parents yet?” Dr. Livelong asked.

Kermit shook his head.

“You may want to do that while we transfer him to the pediatric wing,” the doctor said quietly. “We’ll be doing that any minute now.”

Kermit slowly nodded. “…Can—can he keep the ball with him, while you move him?” he whispered.

Dr. Livelong looked at the ball under the tiny frog’s hand. “Yes,” he said quietly. “I’ll make sure that he does.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Someone put a lot of effort into decorating the pediatric wing of the hospital.

Someone spent a lot of time choosing just the right shades of red and yellow and green and purple and orange and blue. Someone very carefully selected the carpet covered with bright circles and squares and triangles and trapezoids and diamonds for the waiting room. Someone painstakingly planned and drew and painted the mural of a castle around the entire nurse’s station, complete with knights and princesses and fairies and wizards. Someone picked out exactly which pictures of which fairy tales to hang on which walls. Someone deliberated long and hard over the animals and the sports and the stars and the planets and the super heroes and the smiling faces on the wallpaper in each of the rooms. Someone lost sleep debating whether to make rooms gender-specific or to be politically correct.

Someone put a lot of hard work into making this wing of the hospital a little less grim.

Kermit barely noticed all of that hard work as he plunked coins into the payphone. The other Muppets stood close to him, waiting for the nurses or the doctor to tell them that Robin was settled in his new room.

“Mom won’t be in her office,” Kermit mumbled to his friends as he listened to the rings. “But I can leave a message, and she’ll get it tomorrow…”

“Isn’t there a faster way?” Rizzo asked. “A whole DAY—“

“The swamp doesn’t have electricity,” Scooter reminded the rat. “Or phone lines.”

“So get cell phones,” Rizzo said.

“Si, but den how do jou charge dem, hokay?” Pepe pointed out.

“Hi-ho, Mom,” Kermit said quietly into the phone, and Miss Piggy hastily hushed the other Muppets. “It’s Kermit. I—I’m calling…” He gulped. “…I—I have—bad news… I… I need to talk to… to Jimmy and Leaper… Robin, is—is hurt—“ He gulped and took a shaky breath. “He—He was—hit by a car, and… he has—has—“

“Here.” Rowlf scooped a tight arm around the frog and took the phone. “Robin fractured his arm and shattered some of his hand bones. He has a fracture in his skull, and—we don’t know about the brain damage yet. We’ll keep in touch as best we can, of course. Give Kermit’s cell phone a call when you get this. One of us will answer.” The dog hesitated, gripping the phone in his paw. “…Don’t worry about Kermit, Mrs. the Frog,” he said quietly. “We’re all here. …Talk to you soon.” He carefully hung up the phone and put his paw on the wall for support.

Kermit was half-buried in his friend’s dark fur. “…Thanks, Rowlf,” he said quietly. “…I—I couldn’t—“

“I know,” Rowlf whispered.

The Muppets huddled together as the frog and the dog leaned on each other and the other Muppets nearby. This had not been easy news to bear.

Fozzie hugged himself tight as he backed away from the group and plopped down in front of a chair. He dumped his head into his hands, burying his face as his limp, shapeless hat fell off of his head and landed on the carpet, in the middle of a bright red triangle.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As I've come to learn with Lisa-writing, it's best to just read and nag for more, she'll post, we'll cry, laugh, applaud or invariably ooh and aah.
The pediatric wing of the hospital amuses me, it reminds me of my old pediatrician's office's wallpaper from when I still had better sight and went there of course.

*Tightly quiet-huggles Lisa not letting go until she promises to make this right with another chapter.