Half of the Stairs are Missing

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Prods with nagging stick. What is it with these youngins? We need more story posted... PDQ! ! !

Katzi428

Reaction score
*Prods with nagging stick. What is it with these youngins? We need more story posted... PDQ! ! !
I'm with you Ed. Lisa...c'mon! I hate being left hanging!(And I'm sure everyone else does too.)PLEASE?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Is coming, is coming! Got two hands only!

<Ahem> Is good to be nagged. :coy:

Next chapter is ALMOST done... With a little bit of luck, I may have it posted sometime tonight... So keep your fingers crossed, everybody. (I would cross mine, too, but that makes it awfully difficult to type the rest of the chapter...)

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Nine

Kermit wrapped an arm around his knees as he sat beside his nephew on the hospital bed. He nudged the ball aside and quietly held the tiny, dark green hand.

“Kermit?” Gonzo’s worried voice said from the doorway.

“Hi-ho,” Kermit said quietly, not bothering to look away from Robin’s tiny hand.

Gonzo came into the room and stood next to the bed, his eyes wandering over the machinery before settling on the little frog. “Leaper woke up,” he said. “We just splashed some water on her. Now she’s drinking some.”

Kermit nodded. “And Jimmy?” he asked quietly.

“Talking to Dr. Livelong… or Prosper… I forget which.” Gonzo reached over and picked up the ball, slowly turning it in his hands. “…Leaper said they don’t think—“

“I know,” Kermit said sharply, cutting him off. “But he will. Dr. Livelong never said he wouldn’t. He will wake up.” He nodded to himself, his voice softening. “He’ll be okay.”

Gonzo nodded slowly. He looked at the tiny frog for a long moment, listening to the beeps of the heart monitor. “…Do you think he can hear us?” he whispered.

Kermit thoughtfully tilted his head. “…I don’t know,” he said softly.

Gonzo quietly set the ball down on the bed and leaned over. “You’re a Muppet, Robin,” he whispered. “We go against the grain. We’ve all been told we won’t make it.” He put his hand on the little frog’s shoulder. “I guess you really are one of us now… But we keep provin’ ‘em all wrong. You can make it. …Especially with Kermit behind you. Anyone can make it with Kermit.”

For the first time in what felt like a few years, Kermit smiled, a soft, wry smile.

“And if anyone has Kermit wrapped around their finger, it’s you, Robin,” Gonzo went on. He lightly patted the little frog’s shoulder. “You got it made, kid.”

Kermit quietly looked at his nephew’s little hand, gently rubbing the tiny fingers in his palm.

“And you’ve got all of us behind you, too,” Gonzo whispered. “Even Statler and Waldorf like you. …You won’t let us down, will you?”

Kermit gave his nephew’s hand a light squeeze.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

“…Yeah… I didn’t think so,” Gonzo said. He gave Robin’s shoulder another little pat, sighed, and turned to the other frog in the room. “How are you doing, Kermit?” he quietly asked.

Kermit sighed. “…Hangin’ in there,” he said quietly, his eyes locked on the tiny frog behind the oxygen mask. “…It’s really… all out of my hands, now,” he said softly, holding onto his nephew’s hand. He looked at Gonzo. “Leaper’s right. I don’t have any say, now.”

Gonzo sighed and shook his head. “That doesn’t seem right,” he said. “…They’ll at least LISTEN to you, won’t they?”

Kermit shrugged. “Jimmy might, but…” His very sad eyes trailed to his tiny nephew. “…My opinion is just an opinion now,” he said softly.

Gonzo put a hand on his friend’s back. “They’ll make the right choice,” he said firmly, and he hoped that it was true. “…Do they have a choice right now?”

Kermit’s eyes strayed over the machines that had made his brother and ex-sister-in-law so uncomfortable. He shivered. “I hope not,” he whispered.

Gonzo frowned. “…You don’t trust them?” he asked quietly.

“Sure, I trust them,” Kermit said, and he gestured to the machines. “But do they trust these?”

“…Why not?” Gonzo said. “They’re here to help Robin.”

“We don’t have anything like these in the swamp, Gonzo,” Kermit whispered.

“…Kermit?” Gonzo said. “Most people don’t have hospital equipment in their homes.”

“Well… no,” Kermit said. “But most people have some sort of electronics.”

Gonzo shrugged. “They know how to use a phone,” he pointed out.

“These look a lot scarier than a phone, though,” Kermit said. “They’re way bigger, and more complicated—“

“They watch TV, don’t they?” Gonzo persisted. “They’ve seen the show.”

“…Well, sure, they watch TV,” Kermit said, and he gestured towards the wires and the heart monitor. “But they don’t—wire themselves up to one.”

Gonzo’s eyelids flew up. “They should try it some time. It’s great!” he said with the enthusiasm of someone who knows from experience.

Kermit just sighed and shook his head… and then gave the weirdo a stern look. “Gonzo?” he said. “Don’t touch anything in this room.”

Gonzo tapped his hand to the bed sheet. “Touch.”

Kermit scrunched his face.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Leaper sat on a couch in the waiting room, wrapped in a thin blanket, quietly rocking herself back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, looking at nothing and no one… except, perhaps, for the nearest wizard painted on the nurses station castle.

Miss Piggy was nearest, hugging herself as she paced in front of the couch, listening as arrangements for the night were made. Once again, most of the Muppets would be going home. Leaper, too, would spend the night in the Muppet Boarding House. They hadn’t decided what room or bed she would sleep in. Miss Piggy looked across the room, where Jimmy was nervously rubbing his neck and shifting his weight as he talked to Dr. Livelong. Jimmy would be staying here, at the hospital. Sweetums would stay, too, and probably Fozzie, or Gonzo, or both.

No one asked whether or not Kermit would stay.

Miss Piggy quietly paced in front of the couch, silently debating her own plans for the night.

Poor Robin. Leaper had raised the question of whether or not he was in pain. Now they all wondered what, exactly, Robin was experiencing… if he was experiencing anything. Could he hear them? Did he know they were there? Did he know where he was? Did he know what had happened? Did he know his parents were there? Was he scared? Was he cold? Was he content, by the grace of medication, and happily dreaming of his next trip with the Frog Scouts?

Or was his world black now?

She turned and walked into the hallway, leaving behind the cheerfully decorated waiting room and its solemn occupants. She passed the pictures of Little Red Riding Hood and Snow White and Hansel and Gretel, and the busy nurses and aides dressed colorful printed scrubs, without particularly noticing them. She stopped at room 396 and leaned against the doorjamb, peering in without seeing the crayon-print upholstery on the chair or the red and blue stars on the yellow wallpaper.

Instead, she saw Kermit and Gonzo sitting on the hospital bed. She saw the heart monitor, the IV, the feeding tube, the tank of oxygen and the little mask of clear plastic… and beneath it, in the middle of everything, she saw Robin.

Whether he knew it or not, Robin would not be alone. His beloved uncle would be right by his side, and Sweetums wouldn’t be far away. His father, too, would be—well—in the hospital, if not in the room.

But, while Robin was the one in the hospital bed, he was not necessarily in the most need of emotional support.

Kermit… Kermit seemed to be alright, just now. Sweetums would keep an eye on him for the night. Sweetums himself was… well… quiet… but there was a silent sort of strength about him, too. The rest of the Muppets… She knew what would happen with the rest of the Muppets. Tonight, at the boarding house, they would huddle close and support each other and worry together… and then someone would make a bet, or an argument would start, or something would explode, and they would all try to pretend that everything was just like it usually was.

What about Jimmy?

What about Leaper?

She cringed at the thought of Leaper. Leaper, who had spoken quite vehemently about bringing Robin back to the swamp, on the faulty claim that he belonged there. Leaper, who had coldly tried to push Kermit out of conversation with the doctor. Leaper, who seemed to refuse to acknowledge Kermit’s role in her son’s life—and, if it came to it, his role in her son’s d—

…Leaper, who had fainted earlier when faced with Robin’s grim circumstances. Leaper, who was probably realizing how little she’d been there for her youngest son.

With a heavy sigh, she stepped into the room. Kermit looked up as she reached his side, and she kissed his cheek. “I’ll see you in the morning, Kermie,” she murmured softly.

Kermit nodded. “Sleep well, Piggy,” he said quietly, and he tilted his head to one side. “Try to keep the house fairly intact, alright?”

“Moi will try,” she promised, giving him a tired smile. She turned to Gonzo. “Are vous coming home or staying here?”

Gonzo thought about it, looking at Robin for a long moment. Then he looked at the heart monitor, and then at Kermit, and finally turned back to Miss Piggy. “I’ll go home,” he decided. “Better to break the house than the hospital, right?”

Kermit scrunched his face. Miss Piggy glared at the weirdo. “…Get out of here,” she grunted, pushing him aside with a frightening—and, to Gonzo, disappointing—gentleness. She lightly touched a soft glove to Robin’s shoulder. “See you tomorrow, Robin,” she whispered. “Good night, Kermie,” she added, and she reluctantly swept out the door.

Beauregard

Reaction score
*giggles at Gonzo*

*heart breaks at Leaper*

*smiles at Piggy*

*hugs Sweetums*

*frowns at the bet and the heart monitor*

*glomps Lisa*

Katzi428

Reaction score
sigh Poor Kermit.I just wish I could reach through the screen & hug him.
I laughed at the part where Kermit told Gonzo not to touch anything in the room & Gonzo lightly touched the blanket.Injecting a bit of humor...nice.:smile:
I feel a bit sorry for Leaper. But she shouldn't be so harsh w/Kermit. It's not his fault Robin got hurt.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Chapter Nine
I'm just going to pretend that you're not a few chapters away from passing me up in Mid-Age... and you started this... how many weeks ago?

I saw Beth's fan-fic said:
Kermit wrapped an arm around his knees as he sat beside his nephew on the hospital bed. He nudged the ball aside and quietly held the tiny, dark green hand.
Have I mentioned that I LOVE that ball?

It's been SO long since I've done one of these... said:
“Kermit?u201D Gonzo’s worried voice said from the doorway.

“Hi-ho,u201D Kermit said quietly, not bothering to look away from Robin’s tiny hand.
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that weirdo? And KERMIT! Just... he doesn't even think twice... he just instinctively says "Hi-ho." That is... that is so understatedly (word? yes? no? who knows?) perfect.

And here I am quoting EVERY line so far... said:
Gonzo came into the room and stood next to the bed, his eyes wandering over the machinery before settling on the little frog. “Leaper woke up,u201D he said. “We just splashed some water on her. Now she’s drinking some.”
...Can I laugh while we're in Robin's hospital room and he's unconscious?

HA! I missed one... said:
“Talking to Dr. Livelong… or Prosper… I forget which.” Gonzo reached over and picked up the ball, slowly turning it in his hands. “…Leaper said they don’t think—“
*silently wonders if anyone caught it NOW*

And here I go again not missing a beat... er... a line. said:
“I know,u201D Kermit said sharply, cutting him off. “But he will. Dr. Livelong never said he wouldn’t. He will wake up.” He nodded to himself, his voice softening. “He’ll be okay.”
That's right, Kermit. That is RIGHT. (But what is left d'en, hokay?)

I'm going to skip another one... just wait! said:
Gonzo nodded slowly. He looked at the tiny frog for a long moment, listening to the beeps of the heart monitor. “…Do you think he can hear us?u201D he whispered.
I DON'T KNOW. MAYBE WE SHOULD TALK LIKE THIS!

Wait for it... said:
Kermit thoughtfully tilted his head. “…I don’t know,u201D he said softly.
Or... like that...

...Shoot. said:
Gonzo quietly set the ball down on the bed and leaned over. “You’re a Muppet, Robin,u201D he whispered. “We go against the grain. We’ve all been told we won’t make it.” He put his hand on the little frog’s shoulder. “I guess you really are one of us now… But we keep provin’ ‘em all wrong. You can make it. …Especially with Kermit behind you. Anyone can make it with Kermit.”
Where to... how do I even... Oh. My. GOSH. He's a Muppet... against the grain... The simple line "We've all been told we won't make it" is the single greatest thing to heart-warmingly describe a Muppet... EVER. I think... that might... well... let me finish this first and then you'll see.

*mutters* said:
For the first time in what felt like a few years, Kermit smiled, a soft, wry smile.
I. Love. That. Gonzo. Made. Him. SMILE.

Sheesh. Well... if anyone could get me to quote an entire chapter said:
“And if anyone has Kermit wrapped around their finger, it’s you, Robin,u201D Gonzo went on. He lightly patted the little frog’s shoulder. “You got it made, kid.”
That's the dream right there, isn't it? I love that ugly little weirdo, SO much.

HA! I missed another one! said:
“And you’ve got all of us behind you, too,u201D Gonzo whispered. “Even Statler and Waldorf like you. …You won’t let us down, will you?u201D
I LOVE THAT UGLY LITTLE WEIRDO!

Missed ANOTHER one! Go Prawnie! said:
Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.
When did R2-D2 get here?

Aaaaand... back again. said:
“…Yeah… I didn’t think so,u201D Gonzo said. He gave Robin’s shoulder another little pat, sighed, and turned to the other frog in the room. “How are you doing, Kermit?u201D he quietly asked.
Thank you for asking that Gonzo... I needed someone to since I couldn't. I guess my Muppet at heart had to do it for me. Thank you, Gonzo. I'll buy you pizza or something.

Like I said... back in the beat again. said:
Kermit sighed. “…Hangin’ in there,u201D he said quietly, his eyes locked on the tiny frog behind the oxygen mask. “…It’s really… all out of my hands, now,u201D he said softly, holding onto his nephew’s hand. He looked at Gonzo. “Leaper’s right. I don’t have any say, now.”
Kermit... YOU HAVE SAY! Just make your voice heard! Want I should get Animal to make your voice heard through him? Although... he IS unintelligible... shoot... PIGGY! ! !

How you do d'is said:
Gonzo sighed and shook his head. “That doesn’t seem right,u201D he said. “…They’ll at least LISTEN to you, won’t they?u201D

Kermit shrugged. “Jimmy might, but…” His very sad eyes trailed to his tiny nephew. “…My opinion is just an opinion now,u201D he said softly.
It's NOT right, Gonzo, you're right. *blink* *shrugs* Your opinion is the most valued opinion I know, Kermit THE Frog. No one matters more than you--and everyone matters. Or something.

I have missed said:
Gonzo put a hand on his friend’s back. “They’ll make the right choice,u201D he said firmly, and he hoped that it was true. “…Do they have a choice right now?u201D

Kermit’s eyes strayed over the machines that had made his brother and ex-sister-in-law so uncomfortable. He shivered. “I hope not,u201D he whispered.
They... they can't... can they? They... they wouldn't would they? ...No. They can't.

Now I'm cheating and quoting five in one... is that allowed? *shrug* Is now! MWoO ha ha ha! said:
Gonzo frowned. “…You don’t trust them?u201D he asked quietly.

“Sure, I trust them,u201D Kermit said, and he gestured to the machines. “But do they trust these?u201D

“…Why not?u201D Gonzo said. “They’re here to help Robin.”

“We don’t have anything like these in the swamp, Gonzo,u201D Kermit whispered.

“…Kermit?u201D Gonzo said. “Most people don’t have hospital equipment in their homes.”
I love that Gonzo questions the trust... and Kermit points out the machines... and Gonzo doesn't get it at ALL. It's so hard to think from a perspective of someone who doesn't understand your lifestyle at ALL. And poor Gonzo doesn't get it. But... he makes a good point there at the end.

Now! Four again! HA! said:
“Well… no,u201D Kermit said. “But most people have some sort of electronics.”

Gonzo shrugged. “They know how to use a phone,u201D he pointed out.

“These look a lot scarier than a phone, though,u201D Kermit said. “They’re way bigger, and more complicated—“

“They watch TV, don’t they?u201D Gonzo persisted. “They’ve seen the show.”
Again... the weirdo makes a good point. They HAVE seen the show! I... would hope. Since Robin is such a huge part.

*sighs* I am NOT quoting every line after the doo-dads that separate scenes! said:
“…Well, sure, they watch TV,u201D Kermit said, and he gestured towards the wires and the heart monitor. “But they don’t—wire themselves up to one.”
I know where THIS is going...

But until then... said:
Gonzo’s eyelids flew up. “They should try it some time. It’s great!u201D he said with the enthusiasm of someone who knows from experience.
Ha HA! Yes! YES! THAT's my weirdo!

See what I mean? said:
Kermit just sighed and shook his head… and then gave the weirdo a stern look. “Gonzo?u201D he said. “Don’t touch anything in this room.”
HAHAHA! And THAT's my frog!

One... more... said:
Gonzo tapped his hand to the bed sheet. “Touch.”
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA! ! ! !

DONE! ...With this scene. said:
Kermit scrunched his face.
Gonzo is the ONLY one who could make Kermit scrunch up his face in a time like this. And... I think that's why he's such a good friend.

Look! I already skipped two lines! said:
No one asked whether or not Kermit would stay.
Why would they...?

Another line skipped! said:
Poor Robin. Leaper had raised the question of whether or not he was in pain. Now they all wondered what, exactly, Robin was experiencing… if he was experiencing anything. Could he hear them? Did he know they were there? Did he know where he was? Did he know what had happened? Did he know his parents were there? Was he scared? Was he cold? Was he content, by the grace of medication, and happily dreaming of his next trip with the Frog Scouts?
That... almost made me tear up.

Two in a row... said:
Or was his world black now?
And... THAT did.

And... That's three now. said:
She turned and walked into the hallway, leaving behind the cheerfully decorated waiting room and its solemn occupants. She passed the pictures of Little Red Riding Hood and Snow White and Hansel and Gretel, and the busy nurses and aides dressed colorful printed scrubs, without particularly noticing them. She stopped at room 396 and leaned against the doorjamb, peering in without seeing the crayon-print upholstery on the chair or the red and blue stars on the yellow wallpaper.
There's nothing really to say here other than... your environments are SO REAL. AWESOME.

HaHA! Another one missed! MAN said:
Whether he knew it or not, Robin would not be alone. His beloved uncle would be right by his side, and Sweetums wouldn’t be far away. His father, too, would be—well—in the hospital, if not in the room.
Exactly. No one ever said--or thought--Robin would be alone.

This is starting to get ridiculous. And Lisa isn't happy with me for taking so long... But she will be. said:
Kermit… Kermit seemed to be alright, just now. Sweetums would keep an eye on him for the night. Sweetums himself was… well… quiet… but there was a silent sort of strength about him, too. The rest of the Muppets… She knew what would happen with the rest of the Muppets. Tonight, at the boarding house, they would huddle close and support each other and worry together… and then someone would make a bet, or an argument would start, or something would explode, and they would all try to pretend that everything was just like it usually was.
I LOVE seeing Miss Piggy's thoughts. You don't get to very often--unless they're angry and aimed at a frog, bear, weirdo, go-fer, rat, king prawn, etc.

Lalalala... said:
She cringed at the thought of Leaper. Leaper, who had spoken quite vehemently about bringing Robin back to the swamp, on the faulty claim that he belonged there. Leaper, who had coldly tried to push Kermit out of conversation with the doctor. Leaper, who seemed to refuse to acknowledge Kermit’s role in her son’s life—and, if it came to it, his role in her son’s d—
...Thank you for stopping your thought process THERE, Miss Piggy...

So... close... said:
With a heavy sigh, she stepped into the room. Kermit looked up as she reached his side, and she kissed his cheek. “I’ll see you in the morning, Kermie,u201D she murmured softly.
I bet she'll be the first one there with a coffee, a smile, and a kiss.

I can seeeee the light! said:
Kermit nodded. “Sleep well, Piggy,u201D he said quietly, and he tilted his head to one side. “Try to keep the house fairly intact, alright?u201D
I love that he still thinks to say that...

No... that's dawn. said:
Gonzo thought about it, looking at Robin for a long moment. Then he looked at the heart monitor, and then at Kermit, and finally turned back to Miss Piggy. “I’ll go home,u201D he decided. “Better to break the house than the hospital, right?u201D
...Right!

THIS IS IT! said:
Kermit scrunched his face. Miss Piggy glared at the weirdo. “…Get out of here,u201D she grunted, pushing him aside with a frightening—and, to Gonzo, disappointing—gentleness. She lightly touched a soft glove to Robin’s shoulder. “See you tomorrow, Robin,u201D she whispered. “Good night, Kermie,u201D she added, and she reluctantly swept out the door.
I LOVE HER LITTLE SHOVE! ! ! That is SO perfect. I love it. LOVE IT.

I love this WHOLE chapter (minus the whole... nine lines I didn't quote? But... those are very good too). AMAZING, Lisa. Amazing. I will never CEASE to be amazed by you or your writing. Thank you for this! Brightened the night, as always!

MORE PLEASE! ! ! ! :big_grin:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
...Prawnie...

...You are Fantasticabulous.

...I think that pretty much sums it up. <Nods>

<goes to roll up sleeves to start on next chapter> <is wearing sleeves that are too short to roll> ...Huh. ...<rolls up figurative sleeves and summons Vim and #3> ...Wait. I'm summoning #3 at midnight... and I wonder why I have trouble sleeping?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Oh Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. How I love how you hit everything perfectly. Comic relief with Gonzo, more emotional stuff with Kermit, Piggy taking it all in...great stuff as usual, I want to read more!