Hands That Play

Aaron

Reaction score
Whoa that isn't good. Great chapter though.

outerelf

Reaction score
Chapter 4: The Furthering of Chaos

Kermit wasn’t aware of anything really. He knew Miss Piggy had stepped up to take Robin away, had shooed the curious, horrified onlookers away, and that Fozzie and Gonzo both were feverishly cleaning the back alleyway for a car to fit through. He wasn’t aware the ambulance had arrived, until Rowlf’s heavy weight began to lift out of his lap. Instantly he tensed, ready to tackle the person attempting to take away his friend, when he recognized the white uniform.

The hand on his shoulder holding him back probably counted as well, but who was noticing? He wasn’t. He was more concerned as the men (humans, no Muppets, a bad sign his mind whispered) gathered around the unconscious dog, checking for pulse.

His heart, beginning to rise a little as the doctors nodded hit rock bottom as one of them swore angrily, gesturing for the gurney wheelers to hurry up and get over there. “Contact the hospital, tell them to prep for surgery. He’s had a stroke, and his brain activity level is beginning to drop- What is this?”

The heart that had hit rock bottom twisted in utter pain. He surged to his feet as Rowlf was lifted onto the gurney, stating, “I’m going with him; I know all his medical information. Scooter, you stay here with Gonzo and get all of the papers in order.”

“I’ll come with you.” Fozzie didn’t frame it as a question, and Kermit didn’t insist that he stay behind.

Together, ignoring the odd looks from the doctors, they climbed into the ambulance next to Rowlf.

---------

Scooter watched the ambulance pull away, carrying Kermit, Rowlf and Fozzie away from the theater. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Miss Piggy hand the sobbing Robin over to the gigantic stage hand, his hands dwarfing the small frog as he pulled him close, one giant finger running down his head in a soothing gesture.

“Scooter!” He jumped at that voice, turning as Miss Piggy began making her way towards him. “Do you have that papers? Who’s supposed to be next?”

“Umm, we have an act by the Mopheads, and there’s a giant carrot that’s supposed to be singing- and the Swedish Chef should have his own skit. The Muppet Newsman is also ready to go if needed.” Scooter dragged his mind into a semblance of working.

The pigs’ lips thinned in displeasure as she tapped her fingers against the table, eyes falling on Kermit’s scattered notes. “Mopheads next then. After that, the Swedish Chef should go so that way we can take a look for more acts- we’re still missing at least thirty minutes until the end for the entire hour.”

Piggy gestured grandly, and several of the Muppets instantly looked to her, devoid of any other leadership figures. Scooter nudged Gonzo in the arm; “Could you go find Rowlf’s medical papers in the Muppet House? I’ll start filling out insurance papers over here.”

“Got it!” Gonzo ran for the small scooter that actually belonged to Beauregard. Hopefully the janitor wouldn’t mind too much.

The whatever didn’t bother going to the helmet, when a sudden squawk made him pause. Camilla, in all her feathered glory, stood in the doorway, a helmet cradled in her wings. He smiled at her helplessly- she smiled back as she handed it over, other chickens gathering around her to wish him well.

Gonzo took off in a squeal of rubber, waving a forlorn goodbye to them. But he would be back!

Breaking speed limits, and recklessly ignoring his own safety, he drove for the Muppet house. In a normal drive it took anywhere from ten to twenty minutes to get back home. Gonzo cut the time down to five minutes, four clothes lines, three wheelies, and two ignored cops.

“Medical papers, medical papers- that’d be in the safe!”

Gonzo darted to the portrait of a human male with a beard and mustache, smiling at the painter, eyes reflecting some kind of sage wisdom- or at least that’s how Kermit described this Henson person. Gonzo didn’t really care at this particular moment.

He pushed the portrait back to reveal a safe built into the wall, rigged by some of the finest technicians possible; one number wrong, and Mad Harry had wired the floor beneath to explode. This was going to be so much fun!

“Let’s see, the first number is ten- Second is fi- oh, hey, you. Yes, you audience, could you please go away? It’s kind of rude to watch someone open up a safe.”

------

Scooter sighed in relief as he crossed the last t and dotted the last i. He was done! Hallelujah! Now all he had to do was call Gonzo-

Ring! Ring!

Silence fell across the backstage, as Muppet heads turned to the phone. Scooter shakily arose from his seat, heart torn. Hospital, please don’t let it be something bad about Rowlf-

Carefully he picked up the phone as Miss Piggy swept backstage, her announcing job done. “Hello, Muppet Theater- Gonzo!”

A heavy sigh circulated across the room, as the actors returned to menial tasks designed to keep themselves busy. The half-hearted relief and confusion on the young teens face slowly drained away to pure horror. Miss Piggy, perched next to Kermit’s seat, stood up, walking rapidly over to him. “What do you mean you’ve been arrested Gonzo?”

Heads snapped back to watch Scooter, silence falling in a wave. The giant ogre in one corner, still cradling Robin close, began to walk away, attempting to get the young frog from any more distressing news.

Scooter gaped helplessly into the phone. “An illegal alien? But- aren’t you registered- No? But why haven’t you registered before- you didn’t know?”

A hand tapped his shoulder, and Scooter half turned to see Miss Piggy standing there. Imperiously she gestured for the phone- Scooter handed it over without a fight, heading back for the insurance claims on the desk. He turned around, eyes searching for someone to get Rowlfs medical records-

Sweetums caught his eye, and he started off for him, as Miss Piggy began to talk into the phone.

“Gonzo, where are you?” Her voice was softer then usual, and the whatevers clearly upset voice spoke.

“I’m in the house clinging to the stairway railings. You gotta get them to stop!” His voice was desperately pleading.

She took a deep breath, “Gonzo, let them take you away- we’ll bail you out as soon as possible, okay? But resisting will just make it worse, and Kermie needs to focus on Rowlf for right now until Rowlfs’ condition is cleared up.”

Gonzo spoke rapid-fire, “But I want to be in the hospital waiting for Rowlf to come out as well! I don’t want to go to prison for who knows how long!”

“Gonzo!” Her voice cut through his protests. “It’ll be fun, trust me. Just think, you’ll get three solid meals that actually taste like something, and I’ll have Bean Bunny come on over with a harmonica. You can practice a few of your songs.”

“Hey… You’re right- can you tell him to bring my bagpipes over as well?”

“I’ll ask him, but he might be a little on the small side.” Some part of Piggy was tempted to send the bagpipes anyways, but she figured that the policemen would be regretting their choice of prisoner soon enough.

She hung up, taking a deep breath before whirling. Bean Bunny rocking away to music on his mPod didn’t notice as she approached him, wrath gathering like a black cloud above her.

The day had started bad, gotten worse, and she was ready to explode. So with considerable effort she restrained from throttling the bunny and instead went for picking him up by his ears.

The raw terror in his eyes eased the knot in her stomach- whatever else, she was an inspiring woman. “Bean Bunny- go and get Gonzo’s harmonica and take it to the police station.”

The rabbit nodded as best as it could with its ears locked in a vise grip. Piggy released the ears, and the Muppet scurried away, without looking back. “Alright- who’s next?”

Everyone pointed to Pepe, dressed in a tap-dancing suite. Piggy groaned in response, before pointing. “Alright, let’s go! Hopefully Kermie is having a better time then me. Remember, we’re wrapping this show up early! After Pepe’s skit, we’ll do the closing number- so get ready!”

----

Kermit placed the paper to one side, shaking out his hand, trying to relieve the cramps. Scooter had saved him some paperwork, but there was still paperwork left to be done, and the silent light of the operating room distracted him.

Fozzie looked up from where he was worriedly pacing, before going back to his self-appointed task of trying to wear a hole in the floor. Kermit would join him as soon as he finished the paperwork, of that he had no doubt…But for now, Scooter was already walking over to him, carrying more paperwork.

“Boss, isn’t there any news at all?”

“I didn’t understand half of it when we were in the ambulance.” Kermit admitted softly, eyes falling back to the paperwork. “Wait, Robin-“

“Not to worry boss. Sweetums is taking care of Robin, and Miss Piggy is taking care of the theater- once the show is over, they’ll all be coming on over.” Scooter recited the information in a dead voice, pausing in his walk over to Fozzie.

Kermit buried his head in his hands. “I need to call his parents, get them to take him back home- he shouldn’t be here-“

“Uncle Kermit? You here?” The young voice startled all three occupants of the room, and Kermit turned to see Robin standing in the doorway, Sweetums right behind him, holding Rowlfs medical records.

Nephew and uncle ignored paperwork, Robin leaping over the chairs, and Kermits long arms reaching out to catch the small figure that headed right for him. Arms wrapped around his neck and squeezed tightly. “Uncle, Rowlf is gonna be alright, right?”

Comforting lies died on Kermits lips. “I don’t know Robin. Hopefully he’ll be alright.” Robin buried his head in the small curve between neck and bed, arms almost painfully tight- Kermit couldn’t find it in himself to complain.

Silently the two stayed like this, rocking back and forth. Kermit ignored all other sounds, his eyes staring sightlessly off into the distance, and arms tight around his nephew.

“Kermie?” That wonderful, beautiful, welcoming voice drifted into his ears, and he looked up to see Miss Piggy hand him his ceramic cup with his name painted on it, filled with steaming hot coffee. Behind her, Muppets streamed into the waiting room, silently.

“Miss Piggy, you’re a lifesaver- wait, what are you doing here? Is the show over already?”

The pig nodded in response to the question, settling into the seat next to them. Kermit reluctantly peeled one arm from his nephew to take the cup. Slowly he rocked back and forth, arms tight around his nephew.

Time trickled on at a snails pace, but Robin didn’t let go, even as his head nodded in tiredness. He scrubbed at his eyes, clamping down on a yawn. Kermit stroked a hand down Robins back attempting to sooth the young frog into sleep.

Softly he hummed, the words coming into his mind, an poem by Tom Mcneilly;

I always woke with the feel, of restless on my cheek.
For a while, things were gray, sometimes even bleak.
A bright smile you brought to me, to brighten up my day
I couldn't imagine not having that smile, I couldn't even say.
I play guitar, you hear the sound, you never can resist
Letting me hear that beautiful voice, that I'm lucky I didn't miss.
So always know that your my friend, and will always stay that way
because my friend you are the best, and that I will always say.​

The last note lingered in the air, as Miss Piggys arm slipped around his shoulder, supporting him and his sleeping nephew.

“Kermie, are you alright?”

“Yeah, Just thinking about how lucky I am- and how ashamed I am.” For some small part of him that he was rather ashamed of whispered, It wasn’t Robin that was hurt. Thank you, thank you.

The pig didn’t interrupt, only scooted closer- oddly enough, it was easier to talk to her when he couldn’t see her face, when he had his back to her, and leaning on her. “I’m so glad that it didn’t happen to Robin. I know it sounds odd, but I have nightmares that one day I’m going to wake up, and Robin won’t be there. I have nightmares that Robin is somehow hurt, or run over, or that Gonzo can’t walk anymore- so many dreams…”

The reassuring weight in his lap gave him something to cling to. Something that reassured him that the world wasn’t completely messed up. “I’m worried for Rowlf Piggy. The doctors weren’t very reassuring.”

“Don’t worry Kermie dear- Rowlf isn’t our only worry however.”

“He isn’t?” Kermit looked at her, the desperateness beginning to crawl back to the forefront. Robins arrival had calmed him down, but now it threatened to be undone in a single moment.

“It’s Gonzo Kermie. He was arrested- he isn’t registered as a citizen.”

The operating light went off.