Hard foam

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I'm designing a large costume puppet that requires the use of a foam that is harder than your typical poly-foam.

I've used a large mascot mask before that was made of the material I'm looking for — I think it was referred to as "TB-40 Foam". You can carve it and paint it and it's a bit like Styrofoam.

If this sounds like a material you have used before, can you tell me what the exact name of it is, or where I can get some? Thanks!

Jinx

Reaction score
What you're looking for is polyethylene foam vs. a polyurethane or polystyrene foam. I don't know if I have a "brand" name in my files, but I'll look to see if I can find one.

It is not as rigid as a styrofoam, and not as spongy as poly-foam. It is often used as packing material for electronics. It's what I used for building the Audrey II puppets for LSOH.

You can get it in roll form up to 1/2" thick or in plank form 1" or 2" thick from Uline. Just click the links.

Hopefully this will at least put you on a good path if it's not exactly what you're looking for.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
yes. Jinx is right. I use it for my puppet team as kneeling pads. I bought it at Guildcraft, a furniture upholstry shop and foam store in York , PA. It has almost a plastic feel to it although it gives just a bit like a dense foam. Good stuff!

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Aha! Melonpool, it IS L200! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone!