Has anyone tried making eyes this way?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
So we all know the difficulties of trying to find white plastic spheres at an ideal size for puppet eyes (unless you have been blessed with a vac-u-form). It's easy to just spray-paint anything white, but then you have to protect it from chipping.

I had a notion to get some clear plastic ornaments from Michael's Crafts (like these: http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14827) and spray paint them white from the inside. That way the paint won't chip from the outside... but I don't know how the paint will age on the inside, or if the width of the plastic will create a weird halo effect around the edge of the eye.

Has anyone else tried a similar process? How were the results?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
that does work, but evntualy , the eye will scuff on the outside, i still prefer to paint the outside, its easier to repair that way

CoOKiE

Reaction score
eh... go crazy n paint both sides :stick_out_tongue:

doctort13

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. I always get stumpped when it comes to eyes.

I have one puppet that is still "blind" for the last 4 years...time to fix that!

StreetScenes

Reaction score
*hee hee*...the thread name gets cut off on the main forum page at "has anyone tried making eyes" so my first thought was that this thread was about flirting! but, no, it's literally about making eyes. :insatiable: gotta love mc. trex is such a cute little thing, though, i probably would try making eyes at him :coy:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
lemme ask... paint is what gives the eyes that glossy look? How'd u manage that? I used white glossy paint before.. but i did a HORRIBLE paint job. Then again... i used a brush. I didnt do spray paint. So, the brush lines are shown. ANd i even did a few coats on it to try n make it better.