Hearing Impaired Subtitles on Disney DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
It's been quite a while since I posted, and I hate to re-start on a negative note, but this issue is simply driving me crazy, especially as it seems to make no sense, whatsoever. It started with Dinosaurs' first set of two seasons, and has returned to rear its ugly head for TMS Season 2. Finally getting this greatness of the premium format of DVD, collecting classic Muppet/Henson stuff is such a blessing. So, why must they be accompanied by this curse?

Of course what I'm referring to is the automatic cueing up of the closed captioning on these discs. For my recent viewings of TMS, it's mostly after stopping the disc, then playing it, again, later, to find they magically activated themselves. This occurred with Dinosaurs, as well, and I thus imagine it's present on the second set, which I've yet to buy. Tonight, when I first strarted the final disc of the new set, I figured I'd just start with "Play All", and be pleasantly surprised by the guest stars, and hopefully the consecutive viewings would avoid this problem.

INCREDIBLY, though the first one is fine, they decide to pop up on the second! Did I suddenly lose my ability to hear after being blown away by Petula Clark's singing that I must be forced to now only read the jokes of Bob Hope? Am I missing some news that most Disney DVD buyers or Muppet Fans/DVD collectors are mostly deaf, and it thus quickly makes sure it becomes the default option, forcing me to constantly shift it off?

Seriously, though I have so much else to let the Muppet Holding Company know, regarding DVD possibilities (mainly the huge lack thereof, when there's such a wealth of classic material they have access to), not to mention the complete lack of genuine new material, like maybe a TV show or movie, and not just interstitials on the Disney Channel or other BS they think are such great gifts to us, this issue NEEDS to be addressed.

Original material-check
Completely uncut-double-check
Re-using footage of only two sets of characters over four discs for menus, with complete lack of Piggy or Gonzo-meh
Constantly automatically putting on hearing-impaired subtitles-***?

I think I've made my point. Sorry if it's been brought up elsewhere, but didn't see a thread specifically dedicated to it, and I'm tired. See ya.

-Squigiman

karamazov80

Reaction score
Not to say that your argument is not without merit, but I am actually more upset that many DVDs released do not even seem to have subtitles. In my own experience, this is particularly noticeable for the Sopranos, though I have seen it elsewhere in unexpected places as well. I guess that if its not deemed as cost-effective (i.e. if there aren't enough deaf fans of a show, genre, etc.), then it isn't done, but to me that is really unfair to the hard of hearing, who have as much a right to have their minds numbed by TV as us regular-hearers do. If the government ever had a purpose, then this would be it: enforce a mandatory subtitle policy for all DVDs.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I live in a loud neighborhood. Subtitles and closed captioning are often accompany the sound while I watch movies - so I can hear over the "colorful" people of San Francisco's tenderloin/red-light district. :embarrassed:

Anyhew, speaking of the weird activation of subtitles (though I haven't noticed it with the Muppet Show) I have noticed more and more inconsistencies with boxed sets from various companies. Quality control for DVDs seems to have taken a plunge. :grouchy:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Okay, this is really offensive to me, I am deaf, and I wont begin to tell you the importance of subtitles, just because you can hear, doesnt mean others can, everyone has the right to enjoy something.:rolleyes:

matleo

Reaction score
hm..I have never had a problem with subtitles "magically" activating . Have you considered the possibility that it is something wrong with your DVD player and not necessarily the disks themselves?

--Matleo

Java

Reaction score
I don't have that issue with my DVD sets. It sounds like an issue with your DVD player. Either that or if you have a surround sound system that is separate from the TV sound, if you mute the tv it will automatically bring up the captioning. Sometimes for me though, this can take a few minutes to take effect.

I personally commend Disney that the captioning is available on the special features. 98% of other DVD's I own don't offer this. This allows so many more people to enjoy them.

I have issues that I have to use the closed captioning or else I'm unable to understand what is said so I greatly appreciate the fact that they are available.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
See... That's exactly the kind of reaction I was afraid a thread like this would create. Which is why I'm closing it... Hopefully, Squiggy, you can learn from this and post whatever questions/problems you have with DVD's and subtitles in a more courtius manner next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.