Help deciding on a pattern

zombiepencil

Reaction score
Hey there....haven't posted here inna super long time. When 2012 rolled around, all my friends were making new years resolutions, which I hate making....most people never keep them, so I rather decided to make a New Years goal. My goal was to finally make a puppet (I mean, I had no reason not to try, I had recently gotten a new sewing machine for christmas and everything!)!

I've been trying hard to come up with an idea that I liked, but none of them were sticking. One of my friends 2 days ago said "Why don't you just make a fan puppet or something? Design is already there and it would be something you loved." I liked the idea, but wanted to avoid making a muppet or anything...someone not made into a puppet. They said "Dude, make a pokemon puppet."

I love me some pokemon, its right up there with puppets for me. My course is set. But aside from sharing a friendly story, I'm having some issues still.

I want to create a puppet of this little guy, Treecko:

And I'm already sold on using Project Puppet patterns...they look SUPER easy to use, but I don't have a ton of money....so I'm wondering which pattern people might think would suit this fella. I wanna try to make it fullbody. I'm not made of money, so I've been looking at the Pinhead pattern, but I'm not super skilled in this area, so I'd love some opinions.

Animal31

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm thinking you may be better off with the sock puppet pattern and use the alternate body pattern for the body. Regardless of which one you choose, you'll have to alter the head to get that head shape. But you have enough reference material for sure, so it shouldn't give you much trouble.....and good luck!!!

larz

Reaction score
Look carefully at the Project Puppet patterns, then start turning their basic head-shapes around. What I mean by that is if you turned the Sock Puppet pattern vertical (so the mouth is at the top), you'd have the shape of your characters' crown. Then if you use the Sock Pattern again in normal position, you'd have his mouth. All stuffed and combined, it should turn out great. Lose the thumb on the hand pattern, then enlarge that for the feet. The tail might simply be a few "football" shaped pieces of fleece sewn and stuffed.

You have to visualize the shapes broken down. I agree with Animal31 on the body shape. Hope this helps and good luck. Keep us posted!