Help Making SST Martians

BryanS

Reaction score
Hi all,
its been a while since i last posted on here.
I was wondering if any one has any info on building the yip yip martian puppets from ss. i have done lots of searching on the net and muppet central forums but there is not much info to be found on there construction or the materials used in making them ( i.e how big are they? what is there size? what kind of fabric? , how to attach the dial rods to the puppet for the head and mouth. what were their mouths made of or from. what are their tentacles made of or from?) seems to me that their bodies or at least the front of the mouth is round like a ball. I pretty much have the concept down and have tried a few ideas but looks like i will have several details off. I have watched alot of their videos on you tube too. Their eyes may have been made from wacky stacks also and I know that may be impossible to get. i hope to make them very close to the original puppets though.

any pro builders or builders that have worked on the muppets? a steer in the right direction would be appreciated.

info from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks Bryan

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey BryanS,

You may or may not have run accross this video snippet - http://puppeteersunite.com/?p=782 - second one down...shows the fellas in action. Your toughest job in building a replica will be the fabric. Otherwise, the construction is pretty straightforward.

BryanS

Reaction score
I did see that video before Thanks.

I thought these guys would be a simple project to undertake they cant be much more than a simple rod puppet or am i mistaken?

I have still been trying to dig up some tips or any info pertaining to how the yip yips were constructed and put together to no avail though. no one here has been saying too much on the subject. I must be trying to complicate the process or something. I did however read on the internet somewhere that a guy said when he was in college his class got to take a trip to Jim Hensons creature shop or something of that nature, and someone there supposedly told them that the yip yips mouths were made from a hats that Jim bought in the Village. They didn't say what kind of hats though. I have a few in mind but How true would anyone say that statement really is? I thought if any place to get help on this it would be here. ive done countless searches on muppet central I do not think anyone has really asked about this before lol.

Some tips or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.