HELP!!! Oh Jeez... I need help... BAD!

Nick

Reaction score
Well... it is now Tuesday March 20th... I am on Spring break and I am trying to finish my puppet for my class. I just put it together, and it looks nothing like I had envisioned or sketched out. I used the roly pattern from project puppet (excellent pattern and site btw!).

So here is my dilemmma, I need to remake my puppet, or I will fail this class. I have 5 days to complete this before we return to school. It has to look exactly as we sketched. My sketch looks exactly like a muppet, the roly is cute but not muppet like enough based on my sketch. :embarrassed:

I have run out of money, I can not afford to purchase any more patterns. Since I am still new to making puppets, I do not have enough experience to create a muppet style pattern, or know the secrets of creating a foam head and body. (not carved... that is still too advanced for me)

So I was wondering if anyone had a free pattern I could use... I tried the pattern out of John Kennedy's book, but it is not pro looking enough. It is cute, but again not what I need and I wasted two squares of 1/2 inch foam. I still have 2 squares left, and a 1/2 sheet of 1/4 inch foam. It is not Scott... just your basic foam.

I will gladly pay for a pattern, but I can't do it right now... I would have to ask you for credit... I am honest and trustworthy, and I am sure Pat from pj's puppets will vouch for me... Anyway, please, please, please somebody help me! I can not afford to fail this class! :cry:

Thank you so much in advance!
Nick

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this to make sure it stays on the first page of new posts. I sure hope someone into puppetry sees it!

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Hey Nick,
I usually start from scratch with a foam base. I would recommend posting your sketch and I (or others) can try to help by constructing a mock then emailing it to you. I really don't have much time, so I can't promise anything; as I have been busy with a Teen Conference. But I would recommend posting the picture and see who replies.
Tom

Nick

Reaction score
Ok... I got my laptop stable... not sure how long... so here is the link to the sketch board scheme

http://www.flickr.com/gp/7420637@N07/q1NV5v

Sorry it is blurry, will try and upload a few better pics.

P.S. I love you guys! :smile: just wanted to put that out there! and Thanks Tom!

Teenager's

Reaction score
that looks pretty easy.....actually it looks sorta like those mass produced puppets you can get in the store, can we see the one you made already and maybe we can suggest improvements for that....

propologist

Reaction score
Hi,
Just go to Buck's site and download my round head pattern that he has on there as well as all the othe free patterns listed.

propologist
HMS Mike

Nick

Reaction score
Teenager's: Thanks... but my laptop has crashed again, so I can not post pics of the one I made using ProjectPuppet.com's Roly pattern. The problem with it, is that it is too small. Basically it measures about 12 inches tall... it needs to be much bigger. I don't want it to look like a massed produced puppet... Besides, I am a crappy artist, and that is why it looks the way it does.

Propologist: Do you have the link? or is it pretty easy to find? Thank you so much for creating something for all to use! I will be sure to give credit where credit is due if I use the pattern!

Nick

Reaction score
UPDATE: Ok... I made a mistake above... I looked at my sylabis, and the mock up is due on Monday, not the actual puppet...whew! (my mock up was completed a week ago)

BUT, I still am not out of the woods... I have taken the suggestions and I have downloaded the head patterns, but I still need a body and arm pattern... So any suggestions would help as well!

HMSMIKE: Great pattern! Is there a mouthplate pattern as well, or do you have any suggestions?

Teenager's

Reaction score
Bodies are simple if you don't want a beer belly or something.....just make a tube out of foam....

For hands you can do those yourself and draw what you want the hand and arm to look like on a paper bag (or regular paper) and then trace that onto the foam, cut it out, add wires and rods and then attach to the body with sewn fabric or doll joints.