Help! What is the best way to make my puppet head?

ivan

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering what your opinions are on what is best for what I am attempting to do. I want to make a life-size Jack Skellington (Nightmare Before Christmas) puppet head. There are so many resources out there such as Puppet Project, Armslength and the Foam Book. I really don't have the funds to get them all and I was wondering what one item would help me the most. I like the fact that Puppet Project has the Rotondo pattern (great shape for Jack) and that it comes with a sheet of foam, but the Armslength's video is highly recommended and I like the Walter puppet that member Jinx made from it. It was very impressive! I've played around with the idea of just making it out of large styrofoam halves and covering it with something, but I want it to look great. Can someone help me? Thanks!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
All of the resources you mention are good, probably the best way to attempt it (or at least the way I'd do it) is to use the "wedge method" to make the head since it's a round shape. That will probably work better than the methods they describe in the Foam Book. I have a partial tutorial on how to do that here.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Make your puppet head where? South for the winter!? Wocka Wocka! :embarrassed:
Ouch, ahh, Ooh! No more throwing tomatoes! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Argh!
*runs of holding head still dodging flying fruits and vegetables*

ivan

Reaction score
Thanks, Buck-Beaver! Your wedge method is a wonderful solution! The pictures help greatly. I'm going to try copying the sample pattern from your webpage and blow it up. What would be a good source for the rest of the stuff I need to do like make a mouth plate, covering it with material, etc? I am completely new to this.

Vic- your joke was soooooo cheesy. I loved it. :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Search the archives of the puppetry forum here. Everything your asking about has been discussed in detail many, many times in the past. Just invest an hour or two in searching and you'll probably find out everything you need.