Help with my DVD player

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
is it normal when watching DVD's to have the picture fade from light to dark. I wanted to watch The Muppets Take Manhatten yesterday but I lost interest when my DVD player kept doing that. It would fade so dark that I couldn't hardly see the picture on my television. It would slowly lighten then it would drop again. I heard from somebody that it was like a screensaver. Can anybody help? I want to be able to watch my muppet movies without interuption, especially when it is from the DVD player it self. :rolleyes:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
You have to hook the DVD player up directly to the TV, not through a VCR first. The crap (i.e. codes/macrovision/etc.) that they put on the disc makes the VCR think you want to tape it, and since that's a bad thing, (?!?) it changes the sync info, making your VCR change colour and brightness quite drastically.

If you aren't going through the VCR and it's still doing that, then I don't have a clue what's going on.

eric

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
you must be right! I am trying to play my DVD through my VCR. My TV only has cable connection so I have to. I guess I have to get a new TV in order to watch my movies. Thans a lot. I was asking everybody I knew and they had no idea.

rexcrk

Reaction score
This happend to me with my Xbox. I had no idea what was going on. Then I found out I needed an RF adapter. I don't know how it works for regular DVD player's though. heh heh, it's so funny. My TV's older than me, it doesn't even have little things to plug DVD stuff into :stick_out_tongue:

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
tahnks for your guy's input. I am sur that both of you are correct. I don't know when I will get a new television. hopefully sometime soon. I want to watch my muppet DVD's

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
You can get adapters but I don't think they are cheap plus its not the best connection for a DVD player. A direct connection is always better. You could save up and buy a small TV or if you have a not too old computer you could pick up a DVD-ROM drive very cheaply to watch your DVDs on. DVD-ROM drives are coming down to very low prices, atleast they are here anyway.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
The adapter is definitely cheaper than a new TV but you end up getting DVD's that only look as good as tapes. It's a good idea to get a new TV to take full advantage of the quality of DVD's but the RF Modulator (that's what you tell the salesperson you want!) is usually only $30-50. Not bad, like I said, but your discs will look like cable and tapes, which is not good.

So, you make the decision!

eric

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Whoops! That $30 to $50 is Canadian prices, so that might be slightly different elsewhere in the world!

later
eric

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I don't know what the TV's are like in other parts of the world but here in Australia you can get TVs pretty cheap these days, im talking about ordinary small TVs but many of them even have all the DVD inputs instead of just the one dvd input type you can choose the best one for the best quality picture.