Help with uploading video to my computer

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
Does anyone know a lot about uploading and editing video on the computer? I got a new Nikon Coolpix L5 digital camera. It works fine when I want to upload pics or videos to the picture project program, but when I try to capture video to Windows Movie Maker, it doesn't recognize the camera. The video from the camera automatically uploads as Quicktime movie files, which also are not compatible with WMM. I want them to be a format that works better for sites like YouTube. When I upload a video, the sound doesn't synch up with the video. How can I get my videos to .WMV or .AVI or .MPG mode? I saw a free program to convert the video, but I'm not sure I trust it. Is there a certain setting my camera has to be on for Movie Maker? Or should I just buy a digital video camera? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Understand that I'm a "computer video newbie" in many ways, but I will try to help out:

Unless your camera gives you another option, you are probably stuck with using Quicktime to view the video files. If you're uncomfortable downloading conversion software (and I don't blame you!) , you may prefer going to a computer store or "Best Buy" or something like that to buy a program that can do it. You would have to read carefully to be sure that the program could do it, though. Not all editing programs probably could.

If you do buy a video camera, you would also need to know what kind of file the video would download into. Although my guess is that virtually all of them would download into either .wmv, .avi or.mpg mode.

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's all very confusing to me, so any help I can get is appreciated.