1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Henson/Oz/Frith Interview: Question about Animal

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Gonzo14, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing most of you have seen this, but if you haven't, it's a video with Jim Henson, Frank Oz, and Michael Frith talking about the core characters, both in their personality and in the puppet designs.

One thing I found interesting is that when Frank Oz is talking about Animal, he mentions that Animal likes Zoot and calls him "Zat". He goes into his Animal voice and says "Hi Zat" to demonstrate. I don't recall that ever being on screen anywhere. Is there a point in time when Animal actually called Zoot "Zat"? I normally wouldn't put much weight behind the claim, but it's different when it comes straight from Frank Oz's mouth.

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Reading this, it hit me that it seems like Animal very rarely refers to other characters by name, and I don't think I've ever heard him refer to anybody from The Electric Mayhem by name.

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Sometime after this thread was posted, there was an episode of "The Muppets" ("The Ex-Factor") where Animal refers to Zoot by name, and he referred to him as "Zoot" instead of "Zat".

Considering Zoot isn't referred to by name that often, I say it's best that Animal not call him "Zat". Those unfamiliar with his name might start calling him by the wrong name.

4. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

Love

5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Re: "Zat"

Probably an off-camera thing. Just Frank goofing around with Animal. But it's such an obscure Frank bit that it simply hasn't continued on through the years.

6. Gonzo14

Gonzo14 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. It's still fun to watch Jim and Frank dive into their personalities.

7. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of Animal is Oz, since he put a bit of himself in all his characters.