Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Why does everybody think the Henson kids are so perfect? They are human, and they make mistakes like everybody else. All press releases have the "spin" on them to make everything sound great.

Here is my "spin."

"Hi there we are Disney. We are a company that is in a mess right now and we don't have ANY kid's stuff that adults can enjoy too. We MEAN IT when we say "family" entertainment means "kiddie time" entertainment. We make garbage movies like The Mighty Ducks all day long and then we call it "magic" and when we release all this junk on video we call EVERYTHING a "Disney Classic." We just released the "Lion King 1.5," which shows we are too hopeless to even come up with sequel titles anymore. We think we are so great and everything we do is great and anyody who doesn't like us is just being "negative" and making themselves sad. Pixar is crazy and we are always right. We bought the Muppets because we love Jim Henson? No, we just want to screw around with characters and it sounds good for us to say "we own them, too." Thanks for the Muppets, you stupid Henson kids."

I would be so happy if PIXAR had bought the Muppets :big_grin:

Now THERE is a fun and exciting company! Come on, everybody---the bottom line is that Disney has put out crap for the last few years. Do you feel happy knowing our Muppets are owned by the crap-masters now?

PIXAR is walking away from that dirtbag Eisner and his whole idiotic company. Why? Because he is crazy? No, because Disney stinks.

Who do I think is smart? Henson kids or Pixar? PIXAR!!!!!

Who reminds you of JIM HENSON? Disney or Pixar? PIXAR!!!!!

If the Henson kids loved their Daddy's legacy, they should have GIVEN the Muppets to Pixar for ONE DOLLAR, and then the kids can be happy with their personal fortunes and then go away. But nooooo......they sell Kermit and the gang to big stupid DIsney.

Wake up! Disney makes you think of Walt himself and "Fantasia," but that was many years ago.

Today we are talking Eisner, and all his goofballs and "The Mighty Ducks part III." :boo:

Then somebody wrote:
"Disney also believes it can reinvent the characters, by expanding beyond their normal puppet realm and using them as the basis for computer-generated 3D versions."

That was from a NEWS website. Muppets in cartoon form aren't Muppets, just like a Muppet Mickey is not a cartoon. BUT WE WILL HAVE THE MUPPETS CHANGED, WHILE MICKEY STAYS A CARTOON!!!!

Talk about Muppets walking away like Pixar, No...because Pixar had short deals for a few years. They are not renewing. Henson kids SOLD the Muppets outright. They can't walk away. They will be turned into garbage and they can't leave. Just wait until the first Disney Muppet projects show up. Then you will understand.

I am not being "negative." If I see a friend die, I don't stand there and LAUGH about it.

I GET SAD :cry:

Here again is this amazing thing somebody wrote. It takes the cake:

"Curtain pulls back to reveal Kermit & Friends packing their bags

Saying goodbye, going away
*Fozzie packs his rubber chicken, glances at the stage*

Seems like goodbye's such a hard thing to say
*Rowlf touches the keys to the piano one last time*

Touching a hand, wondering why
*Scooter hands Wembly a small piece of stone from the Theater*

It's time for saying goodbye
*Bert & Ernie help load the suitcases into the truck marked 'Disney or Bust'*

Saying Goodbye - Why is it sad?
*Piggy hugs Mokey and wipes a tear away*

Makes us remember the good times we had.
*Gonzo shakes hands with Oscar*

Much more to say, foolish to try
*Elmo watches the commotion, head hanging low*

*Animal puts his drums into the truck, for once not wanting to say his usual 'Bye-bye'*

Dont want to leave, but we both know
*Bunsen & Beaker stand together outside of Muppet Labs, shaking their heads in sorrow*

Sometimes it's better to go
*Stadtler & Waldorf climb into the back of the truck, silent, without a single insult*

Somehow I know we'll meet again
*Big Bird hugs the Sweedish Chef and hands him a bag of his best birdseed*

Not sure quite where, and I dont know just when
*Sweetums pats Junior Gorg on the back*

You're in my heart, so until then
*Gobo helps Pepe and Rizzo into the truck*

Wanna smile, wanna cry
*The remaining Muppets now all climb into the truck and wave to the Fraggles and Sesame Street characters*

Saying goodbye
*Kermit now appears, his head looking down, holding onto Robin's hand, his heart heavy as he leaves the only home he has ever known*

La la la la la la la la
*Kermit walks out of JHC and joins Piggy who is standing by the steel gates of his former home; Robin sighs in confusion*

*The gates slam shut with a clang, forever locking Kermit & Co away from their past life. Kermit turns away and climbs into the truck with Piggy, and hugs Robin tightly. A single tear slips from his eye and falls to the ground.*"

Goodbye my loving Muppets. There was no reason for you to turn into a Frankenstein monster.

Enjoy your EXTRA many millions, idiot Henson kids.

Rugby

Reaction score
I remember how we were all happy and excited when the Henson Company bought the muppets back from that German company. Then they turn right around and sell them off again. Why??? You would think they would have wanted to hang on to the muppets and use them for productions, but no. It's like they wanted to wash their hands clean of the muppets. I don't get it. Did they not think they could be profitable with the muppet characters? Or were they just fulfilling their father's wishes?

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
Jrobert said:
Check this out:
www.savedisney.com
Enjoy!
Wowsers! I had no idea the anti-Eisner campaign had really gotten that big. Always thought it was always limited to the ramblings of a couple disgruntled fans like us. It's good to know that we're not the only ones who feel this way about the man and that equally influencial people are out to get him! Maybe Eisner will be forced to go hide in the Afghanistan mountains...

Hello again, Zack! I left a longer reply in my official 'hello again' post.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Here is a GREAT reply

Man, check this out from this "Jim Hill" guy :big_grin:

I wish I had found this sooner. Like I said before, and now I say it loud without shame: THE HENSON KIDS ARE IDIOTS!

They DO NOT care about what their father gave to the world. The Henson kids have had a life of fun and luxury all the time, so let them shut up and go WORK for a living or enjoy their several millions and GET LOST and give the Muppets away to somebody GOOD. They're just not good people. TO heck with them!

Check out this article. Here is a link and a copy and a paste, and a good link at the end to a t-shirt that says "Brian, your dad wants his name back," on the front, and "1955-2004" on the back.

I am telling you that Eisner is a dirtbag and he just bought the Muppets quick to look good. I will stay with the comments of JOAN GANZ COONEY, too.

THIS STINKS! You're a moron, Brian! I hate your guts!!!! :grouchy:

Here is the links and articles:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/02182004.2.htm~contentFrame

Is the Muppets deal really part of Michael Eisner's Wall Street distraction plan?
Jim Hill wants to feel happy about yesterday's announcement. But -- at the same time -- he wonders: How can Henson's kids actually sell the Muppets off to a man who clearly doesn't view these beloved characters as an asset. But -- rather -- as a quick way to cover his a**.
Well, you heard it here first.

Back on February 2nd, as part of my "Damage Control, Disney Style" article, I mentioned that the Walt Disney Company was making yet another attempt at acquiring the Jim Henson Company. Well -- yesterday -- after more than a decade of trying, Mickey finally consummated his marriage with the Muppets.

What surprised a lot of folks in the entertainment industry was the way that this deal actually went down. With the Henson family not selling off the entire Jim Henson Company to Disney. But -- rather -- just the Classic Muppets, the Muppet Babies and the characters from the popular Disney Channel series, "The Bear in the Big Blue House."

No Fraggles. No "Farscape." No characters from "Labyrinth" or "The Dark Crystal." And certainly no "Sesame Street" characters (which were sold off to Sesame Workshop back in December 2000 by the Henson Company's previous owners, EM.TV and Merchandising AG). Just Kermit and Bear and friends.

Given that the Muppet characters have -- for almost 50 years now -- been so closely associated with Jim Henson and his legacy, one wonders how there can actually be a Jim Henson Company without Miss Piggy and her pals on board. But it sounds like Brian and Lisa Henson, the co-chairpersons and co-chief executives of Jim Henson Co., are going to try and make a go of it.

Certainly in yesterday's press conference, the Henson kids tried to put the best possible face on this awkward situation. Particularly given that they'd just sold off the rights to Kermit, the very character that appears on the logo of the Jim Henson Company. But -- in the press release -- Brian Henson was quoted as saying:

"This new and very important relationship will enable our two companies to combine our respective talents and resources in ways that will fully realize the tremendous potential of the Muppet and Bear franchises. (Disney Chairman and Chief Executive) Michael Eisner's long-standing passion and respect for the Muppets gives me and my family even more confidence in Disney as a partner."

Of course -- if I were a cynical sort -- I'd suggest that the ONLY thing that Michael Eisner is passionate about these days is finding a way to divert Wall Street's attention. To make investment analysts stop thinking of Disney's CEO as the guy who botched the Pixar contract extension talks. But -- rather -- as the guy who affordably filled the creative void left by Pixar by picking up the rights to the Muppets and the "Bear" characters for basically fire sale prices.

"For how much?" you ask. Low. Ridiculously low. I've heard that the Jim Henson Company was in such rough financial shape that Disney was actually able to snatch up the characters, the film and television library and all the associated copyrights and trademarks for under $60 million.

By the way: Look for that info to get leaked to the press tomorrow. As part of Disney's board of directors' attempt to rehabilitate Eisner's reputation. To make it appear as if Michael's really this canny businessman (well worth keeping as the head of the Walt Disney Company) for cutting such an amazing deal.

And don't believe the story that Michael's reps on the board are currently circulating. About how supposedly the Muppet acquisition deal was "... actually in the works for weeks now." If that was really the case, why didn't Disney announce this deal last week at the company's quarterly earnings meeting? When the Mouse so desperately needed some good news to share with the financial community?

No. This news was announced yesterday because this deal was closed yesterday. From what I hear, the people at Hollywood's historic Chaplin Studios (Henson's corporate headquarters) are walking around in shock. Asking "What does this mean?" Man, I wish I knew.

Getting back to the Henson family: At today's press conference, Lisa was quoted as saying:

"In the months before his death in 1990, my father Jim Henson pursued extensive discussions with the Walt Disney Co. based on his strong belief that Disney would be a perfect home for the Muppets. As such, the deal we announced today is the realization of my father's dream ... My brothers and sisters -- Brian, Cheryl, John, Heather -- and I are so proud to have the Muppets living under the same roof as Walt Disney's own timeless characters. We could not possibly be more pleased."

My father's dream"?! … Well … That might be news to Joan Ganz Cooney, Jim Henson's long time friend and the co-creator of "Sesame Street." According to Cooney, Henson -- in the last months of his life -- supposedly expressed some real reservations about handing his beloved creations over to the Walt Disney Company. The aggressive way that Disney's lawyers constantly pushed him to include the "Sesame Street" characters as part of the deal had particularly reportedly bothered Jim.

"He wouldn't even discuss how it might work," said Cooney. But that didn't stop Mickey's attorneys from continuing to lean on Henson. Which is why -- in the late winter of 1990 -- Jim allegedly expressed his concerns to Joan that maybe it was a mistake to hand the Muppets over to Mickey.

But I guess it's too late to raise any concerns now. According to yesterday's press release, The Walt Disney Company and the Henson have signed a binding purchase agreement. It's hoped that -- provided that this deal can sail through the necessary regulatory clearances -- that this transaction can actually close within 60 days.

Sigh

I really wish I felt better about this deal. But -- given that it's fairly obvious that the only reason that Michael Eisner made this deal NOW was that he needed something positive to talk about at next month's shareholders meeting -- this whole thing kind of rubs me the wrong way. Particularly this line in Eisner's portion of the press conference. Where Michael said:

"We are also pleased that this transaction puts us in a position to work with the Henson Company on future projects."

I would hate to think that Brian Henson actually sold off his dad's legacy -- this great assembly of much beloved characters -- just because Michael Eisner promised the Jim Henson Company a production deal. Just so Brian could once again try his hand at directing.

Here's hoping that I'm really wrong about all this. That this Disney / Muppet acquisition turns out to be a good thing.

I mean -- to be fair -- I guess I should mention that the Imagineers are absolutely thrilled that this deal finally went through. According to one WDI insider:

"Now we can finally dust off all those plans for all those great attractions and shows that Jim Henson himself had a hand in creating -- 'The Great Muppet Movie Ride,' 'Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor.' This deal is going to be huge for Disney's theme parks. Particularly Disney-MGM and DCA … Ohmigod! DCA! We can actually do 'Miss Piggy's Superstar Limo' now!? Trust me, Jim. This is gonna be great."

So at least some folks are happy about this deal going down. Me? I have to admit that I'm really happy that the Henson characters will now have the Mouse's money and marketing might behind their next generation of projects. Hopefully, this means that we're going to have some truly great new Muppet movies and TV shows moving through in the production pipeline soon.

But -- at the same time -- I'm troubled by the very idea of Brian and Lisa okaying this sale. Selling off their dad's legacy like this. Particularly at a time when it's obvious that Michael didn't push through this deal just because Disney's CEO was excited about all the creative possibilities involved with bringing the Muppets on board at the Mouse House. All that Eisner's really hoping that Kermit and Co. will accomplish right now is that they'll distract his detractors.

I'll say this much … If you weren't already planning on going to Philadelphia to take part in Roy Disney and Stanley Gold's "Save Disney" shindig, then you'd better make plans to do so now. Because I can virtually guarantee you that next month's annual shareholder meeting is now going to become a veritable Muppetfest. With Kermit making an appearance behind the podium and "The Bear in the Big Blue House" dancing on stage. While Michael crows about how the Muppets will now be able to fill the creative void left by Pixar. How ABC will now be able to use the Muppets to revitalize its ratings, etc.

Sounds like a **** of a show, doesn't it? I know I'll be there. I just wish I felt happier about this whole thing.

What do YOU think? Do you think that it's great that the Walt Disney Company has finally acquired the Muppets? Or do you feel more like this Muppet fan, who chose to express his disapproval of the deal with a rather cutting t-shirt?

http://www.cafeshops.com/needcoffee.9901254

THANKS FOR KILLING YOUR FATHER'S MUPPETS, BRIAN.

NEVER AGAIN WILL NEW KERMIT STUFF BE ON SESAME STREET.

I SPIT ON ALL DISNEY CGI-MUPPET PROJECTS.

I keep you in my heart always, Jim Henson
:cry: :big_grin:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
Man, check this out from this "Jim Hill" guy :big_grin:

I wish I had found this sooner. Like I said before, and now I say it loud without shame: THE HENSON KIDS ARE IDIOTS!

They DO NOT care about what their father gave to the world. The Henson kids have had a life of fun and luxury all the time, so let them shut up and go WORK for a living or enjoy their several millions and GET LOST and give the Muppets away to somebody GOOD. They're just not good people. TO heck with them!

THIS STINKS! You're a moron, Brian! I hate your guts!!!! :grouchy:

THANKS FOR KILLING YOUR FATHER'S MUPPETS, BRIAN.
First, there's mixed opinions on Jim Hill. Personally, I take anything he says with a grain of salt--he tends to be overly dramatic and exaggerate things. But, he does write some good pieces every now and then.

As for the Henson "kids", that's pretty harsh. Jim Henson always advocated chasing one's dreams. Well, maybe the Henson family's dream in life does not involve working with the Muppets. Maybe they have other interests they wish to pursue. If that's the case, why should they spend the rest of their life working with the Muppets?

Brian and the others owed us (as fans) no obligation to continue their father's work. Yet, they've kept working at it for over a decade. It's very possible that they decided to sell the franchise to Disney because Disney could more closely match Jim's vision. Or maybe it was all about greed. NONE OF US KNOW FOR SURE--and I don't feel it's fair to bash the Henson family without knowing their personal reasons.

I'm guessing that the decision to sell had more of an emotional impact on them than on any of us. It couldn't have been an easy choice, but they did what they felt was best for themselves, their father's work, and the Muppets. That's really all we can expect from them.

So, perhaps we should say "thanks" to Brian and the others for keeping the Muppets alive over the past decade. Personally, I wish them the best of luck.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Actually, that shirt is funny to me.

I've been thinking about the pro's and con's and I hope everyone will just follow my suit and sit back and ride the rapids for a bit. We will at LEAST have the Muppets popping out at us over the next 3-5 years, hopefully a LOT. After that is when I expect them to be as rare as they've been since 1990.

King Jim

Reaction score
Henson sells Mupets to Disney

Thats great. But Sesame Street and the Muppets are now diffrent companies.

:smile: Hi Ho I'm now a part of Disney yah

Mark Filton

Reaction score
You want me to THANK the Henson kids? :big_grin: ?

What the heck for? When Jim was working his butt off from ground zero, and starting to make some money, the kids were making a mess in their diapers and picking their noses. Truth.

They grew up in comfort and luxury. They were handed the company. They didn't work at all to get it.

Don't you guys realize how hard it is to build a success like that? What about all the dreams of the people here that will not come true? It takes HARD work to even TRY, and the Henson kids did bugger all. I thank them for nothing. If anything, they can send ME a "thank you" card for being a fan all this time and keeping the faith for 14 years. "Thank" them...HA!

I am not a little kid. Nobody has to tell me that the kids have the right. But I have the right to say it makes me want to BARF.

It gets down to the seriousness: How much money does anybody need? All the Henson kids are multimillionaires. They will always have a nice house, nice car, nice clothes, nice toys, great food, leisure time, and money in the bank. All everything taken care of. How nice it must be to live like KINGS AND QUEENS!

So, you have all you need, and then, you give away the hopes and sweet dreams of our hero Jim Henson to a garbage man and a garbage company. And for WHAT? A bigger buck? I want to BARF again!

Why not say to Pixar "Have the Muppets for 5 years. Try something new with them. Let's have a try. Never mind the money. Do something good."

No, they PERMANENTLY sell them to a creep like Eisner.

It means the Muppets will become a mountain of junk, instead of a small jewel.

Just wait until you see the new DISNEY-created Muppets! Pepe was the LAST good one you'll get. You'll see. Wait until you see how little care they have for the character's integrity.

Muppet message is LOVE is more important. Friends stick together.

Flush it all down the toilet, Brian Henson...YOU MORON! :mad:

NO MORE KERMIT ON SESAME STREET---I SPIT ON YOU, BRIAN!!! :grouchy: