1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Hensonism on Facebook

Discussion in 'On the Web' started by scottishpiggy, Jul 17, 2011.

1. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

being somewhat of an "obsessive" henson follower, i came across an interesting page on facebook : Hensonism. It is listed as a religion. Now, this may seem extereme, but it seemed like a nice idea.

Not to offend anyone of any religion, I thought that if scientology exists, based on sci fi books that were not meant for that purpose, surely hensonism could to.

I mean no offense to any members who follow a religion - please dont tell me its blasphemy, but I couldnt help but share it with you here. Again I cant stress enough I hold everyones religion/views with the highest respect, and just thought it was an interesting concept.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts?
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hensonism/209778675731183

Founded​

About​

My hope still is to leave the world a bit better than when I got here. - Jim Henson

Description​

James Maury "Jim" Henson (September 24, 1936 – May 16, 1990) was an American puppeteer best known as the creator of The Muppets. He was also an Oscar-nominated film director, Emmy Award-winning television producer, and the founder of The Jim Henson Company, the Jim Henson Foundation, and Jim Henson's Creature Shop. He died of Streptococcus pyogenes on May 16, 1990.

Henson, who was born in Mississippi, and educated at University of Maryland, College Park, was one of the most widely known puppeteers in history.He created Sam and Friends as a freshman in College Park. After suffering struggles with programs that he created, he eventually was selected to participate in Sesame Street. The success of Sesame Street spawned The Muppet Show, which featured Muppets created by Henson. In 1992, he posthumously received the Courage of Conscience Award from The Peace Abbey.

Mission​

Hensonism: The Church of Jim Henson of Sesame Saints' mission is to bring peace and love to the world, through this great, loving, caring man. We want you to live your life by the unique word of Jim Henson.

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending."
  2. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Well, he certainly is deserving of a religion.
    I suppose I'd label myself a Hensonist, just have to wait for the next form where I list my religion :D
    scottishpiggy likes this.
  3. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

yeah me too, its only listed for me on FB. on the last scottish census I put myself as Sith! ;) oh and i love your sig quote by the way. I know its off topic, but hey! :)
  4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Lol, that's cute. Though I'd probably call myself a Muppetist instead, I guess? Lol ;)

Love that though! Lol :halo:
  5. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

I think the appropriate emote for the moment is :jim:
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me how a bunch of weirdos in the Whose Line Is It Anyway? fandom formed a religion for Colin Mochrie.
  7. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Are you serious??:rolleyes: What a bunch of wackos!
  8. heralde

Why not, Colin was mine favorite! Lol
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It makes sense, in a way, Colin's just about the most-loved contestant/player from that franchise... next to Ryan Stiles, who has legions of obsessive fangirls, :laugh:.

But I digress, I hope Hensonism doesn't produce any crazed religious fanatics the likes Scientology has *cough*Tom Cruise*cough*Jason Lee*cough*Kirstie Alley*cough*, after all, Jim was all about acceptance.
  10. heralde

Yeah I can totally see it myself, hehe.
    Well if nothing else, it would produce another good South Park episode! ;)
  11. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

the way i see it, my motto is "lifes like a movie , write your own ending, keep believing, keep pretending" anyway, so this isnt much more.:smirk:
    I couldnt decide if it was freaky fans or genuine fans, so thought if you cant beat them join them! However if they start doing weird rituals or start quoting sesame st like the bible or something weird and ultimately - culty - im gone :jim:
  12. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

hahahaha good point, but im not sure wed feel ok with south park bad mouthing henson the way they did chef.... :p
  13. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

I always loved colin, he was just so funny, especially on the hoedown - the UK one was better (before drew carey) and he couldnt sing so hed always fake seizures or just say something random.
    Loved Ryan stiles too.
    Mind you i love any guy who can make me laugh :D
  14. heralde

Yeah I liked both versions, but I miss seeing the UK show!

Thou Shalt Not Put Down Thy Neighbor's Duckie!
  15. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

:batty:thats one...one commandment, ha ha ha :batty:
  16. heralde

Ughhhhhhhh!

(Sorry, I meant that as a good natured groan, lol.)
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm a Kermit Kultist myself! :jim::)
  18. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Considering I've (half-jokingly) called myself a "Kermitian" on beliefnet, I could dig this. :)
    Hard to imagine Jim blowing up like Isaac did.
  19. scottishpiggy

scottishpiggy Member

i know, but i think thats the appeal - that its genuine fans just paying homage to his work. :jim:

Of course they could just be crazy. I know I am :crazy: