"Here Fishy Fishy" vs "Ernie Catches All the Fish"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I thought I'd ask which Ernie and Bert fishing sketch you like better, Ernie's fish call (aka "Here fishy fishy fishy!") or the one where Ernie catches fish while Bert doesn't.

Here's the fish call sketch:
http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...6722-4621-a007-1ee2d5cf21ee/here_fishy_fishy_

And here's the other one:
http://www.sesamestreet.org/video_p...-b10a-6119e86ae19b/ernie_catches_all_the_fish

I prefer the later one where Ernie keeps catching fish. It has historical significance as it's the first time Steve Whitmire performed Ernie, and I also remember seeing this one as a child.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'd have to say that I like them both. I remember the 'Here Fishy, Fishy' sketch from my childhood. Though the later one was good too. Bert seems a lot more calm there. Though I should mention that technically it's not the first time Steve performed Ernie. He performed him before in the New Year's special. I couldn't resist bringing that up.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yeah- I definitely remember "Ernie's Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy" sketch more, so I would give that one the edge because I remember it so well from my childhood. But "Ernie Catches All the Fish" is good too- they are both great sketches- Ernie and Bert are always great.:stick_out_tongue::frown:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Ernie may outdo Bert and embarrass him in both sketches, but "All the Fish" does an awkward job of blending comedy with curriculum. Once Bert brings up zero, the sketch feels more like a lecture than a conversation between friends.

"Here Fishy Fishy Fishy", on the other hand, shows Bert and Ernie as hard-core fans remember them. They may be teaching about loud and soft sounds, or the importance of trying again after failure--but the conversation feels genuine, and it's easier to imagine a frustrated toddler identifying with Bert.

Xerus

Reaction score
I like the, "Here Fishy, fishy", skit because it's so funny hearing Ernie shout like that. In real life, shouting like that would scare the fish away.

In the other skit, they seemed to have gotten that, "What happened to your friend", joke from this classic Tex Avery cartoon, Field and Scream.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuDioZ-vVgg

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Though I should mention that technically it's not the first time Steve performed Ernie. He performed him before in the New Year's special. I couldn't resist bringing that up.
The 40th anniversary book says that the fishing sketch was the first time Whitmire performed Ernie (though the book also describes the wrong fishing sketch). But it came out the same season as the new years special, so who knows which was actually broadcast first?

Of course, in the Muppet Central interview Steve Whitmire said that the first time he did Ernie's voice was when they needed some talking Ernie toys made, and then was asked to take over performing the character. I wonder what talking Ernie toys came out in the early 1990s.