Herry Monster appreciation thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the "I love snuffy thread", I mentioned how I thought that Herry was underused compared to Snuffy, and somebody suggested that I start a Herry Monster thread.

So, who likes Herry? Who thinks Herry should be used more again?

In my childhood, Herry was often seen in both the street stories and the inserts. I guess that when Frank Oz became to busy to perform in the street scenes as much as he did in the 1970s, Herry was there to allow a blue mmonster to be frequently seen on the street, and when David Rudman and Eric jacopson started to take over Cookie Monster and Grover, Herry was there less often. Although he was normally on the street, there were rarely any toys made of him. I beleive that a hand puppet was made in the 1970s, there was a beany of him, and I have seen a picture of a PVC of him (although it was the wrong color). Also, he hardly did anything big in the specials. Christmas Eve On Sesame Street and Don't eat The Pictures both featured mostly main characters, and Herry wasn't in either special. He also wasn't in the big street scene from Big Bird In China.

What does everybody else think of Herry?

Ziffel

Reaction score
I always liked Herry. I enjoyed all of the original SS muppets I saw as a child (Bert, Ernie, CM, Oscar, Grover, Kermit, Herbert Birdsfoot, Simon Soundman, etc,) and Herry is no exception. Jerry Nelson did a fine job with his voice. Certainly impressive how these puppeteers can be so versatile with their voices for different characters. A lot of the early 70's skits that Herry was in were a lot of fun too. Some of my favorites were:

(1) Herry fighting over the same chair that Bert and Ernie want to sit in.

(2) Herry telling Grover a secret (which is the alphabet). When he discovers his secret has been told to others, I love the raised eyebrow perturbed expression on Herry's face.

(3) The "one, two, three. three monsters" shuffling around skit Herry does with Grover and another monster.

(4) Grover attempting to do the same magic trick on Herry that the Amazing Mumford did on him. Grover says, "Trust me" and Herry replies, "Good shot." Great line! Then when the trick fails, Herry's angry grunting sound as he chases Grover was great.

(5) The M song Herrry does with Cookie Monster.

Jerry Nelson added a lot of great little characteristics to Herry that made him very enjoyable to watch. He did kind of seem like a minor character compared to the majors like CM, Bert, Ernie, Grover, Big Bird, and Oscar. I definitely think he was fun and likable enough to have been one of the majors too. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I miss Herry Monster. He was cool! I know he's still on the show, but he's been basically reduced to a background character! My favorite Herry quote is "I don't like to brag Gordon, but I was the cutest monster in my family." Here's another something funny...when I was in the second grade, and our teacher would read us Sesame Street books, she alway called him "Henry Monster".

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've noticed Herry was used quite a bit in season 34. I guess the reason they haven't used him in a street story is because they have Telly and Elmo for that. It would be great to see Herry have more of a bigger role.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The last big street role Herry had that I can remember was when he was helping Rosita look for her a best friend, and in the end, they both became best friends.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Aw, I always liked Herry. This is a great thread. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Herry should have been part of the current season, since this season focuses on being healthy and Herry doesn't know his own strength. Herry could teach kids to excersize, and older Herry monster segments should be included, like Monsterpiece Theatre: Chariots Of Fur (which involves running). I know that the majority of season 36 episodes haven't been broadcast yet, so maybe Herry will make an appearance.

He should have had a bigger part in Follow That Bird. If he traveled, I wonder who he would have rode with? I guess he could have joined Cookie Monster in the volkswageon. Or he could have taken the honkers place in oscars sloppy jalopy. It would have been weird for him to travel with Ernie and Bert, unless otehr characters were with them. He didn't travel with the count because they are both performed by Jerry Nelson, but nobody traveled with the count. I think it could have been possible for them to travel together (Grover eventually traveled with Cookie Monster after flying into the volkswageon). Jerry could have performed The Count and herry at once, the counts hands could have been attached to the wheel, and herry could have just not needed to move his arms.

Herry also should have been in Elmo In Grouchland, especially since none of Jerry Nelsons characters traveled to grouchland looking for Elmo. Shameful.

Rosewood

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Herry should have been part of the current season, since this season focuses on being healthy and Herry doesn't know his own strength. Herry could teach kids to excersize, and older Herry monster segments should be included, like Monsterpiece Theatre: Chariots Of Fur (which involves running). I know that the majority of season 36 episodes haven't been broadcast yet, so maybe Herry will make an appearance.

He should have had a bigger part in Follow That Bird. If he traveled, I wonder who he would have rode with?

Herry also should have been in Elmo In Grouchland, especially since none of Jerry Nelsons characters traveled to grouchland looking for Elmo. Shameful.
I was just about to start a thread for good old Herry when I found this one. I love that lovable guy! I remember him most from that skit where he helps kermit by standing behind an x-ray machine so kermit can make a presentation about how the human (and monster) body looks inside. He was great with kids. Remember all the little skits he did with Jon Jon? Those were priceless! If he traveled, I think he would have been a great school bus driver!
As for traveling to grouchland to look for Elmo, if some one had just marched in and taken over MY job, then went and got lost, I'm not exactly sure I'd really want him to be found. Would you? :big_grin:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
The funny thing about Herry is it's hard to know exactly where he stands these days. The charachter hasn't exactly been written out of the show because I have seen him a few times over these past few years like in the special that was on last year for the first episode. But then again he is seen so seldomly now I'll bet kids have no clue who he is. I guess since Jerry Nelson is getting older he's just been sticking with The Count, and his other charachters have been pushed into the background.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I was just about to start a thread for good old Herry when I found this one. I love that lovable guy! I remember him most from that skit where he helps kermit by standing behind an x-ray machine so kermit can make a presentation about how the human (and monster) body looks inside. He was great with kids. Remember all the little skits he did with Jon Jon? Those were priceless!
A few days ago I wrote a Fan Fiction called The Best of Herry Monster, and included the x-ray skit and the skit where Herry and John John count to 20. If you haven't read it, then you should. Obviously, it's in the fan fiction section.