Hey Buck , Helppppp

rtgentry

Reaction score
Buck I know that you said there were some grover and cookie furs at that fabric shop. Have you seen any Gonzo fur? I would really like to get some but cant find it . Please help. If anyoneelse knows please advise.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
No, sorry - that's a tough one. I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere. You could probably make it by getting some mohair that's a light colour, dying it blue and clipping it so it's a close match. Mohair is usually available locally from dealers who sell Teddy Bear making supplies.

If you want to try this, before you buy it ask and make sure the Mohair can be dyed. Most Mohair can be because it's a natural fibre, but sometimes it is be treated with strange chemical that inhibits dye.

Good luck!

rtgentry

Reaction score
Thanks Buck, I will look for that when I go back for some foam. Heres another question. Is contact glue the same as contact cement? and do you know where I can get some small nerf balls that I could use for eyes?:wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Well, if by contact glue you mean something like model airplane cement then no, they are different. "Contact cement" in puppet building usually refers to an all-purpose contact cement like LePages or Barge (which is what the Muppet builders use).

Small Nerf balls are usually sold at Toys R Us and WalMart or you can search online to find a vendor. Some people also use hard syrofoam balls or plastic spheres (clear plastic Xmas balls) that are commonly sold in craft stores.

That said, I feel it's necessary to go off on a bit of a rant re: contact cement...

I would stongly recommend against using contact cement. Despite what you may have heard, hot glue can work fine for most projects and contact cement is not really necessary unless you are doing a professional job (and many Pros just use hot glue).

Contact cement is toxic and the fumes are extremely dangerous. You cannot use it indoors without a proper fumehood. In addition to being totally environmentally unfriendly, there are very serious sideffects to inhaling contact cement fumes including severe headaches, nausia, sore throats and all sorts of other nasty stuff. Exposure to the fumes without proper protection will also compromise your immune system for several days and make it easier to get ill. You can also cause damage to the inside of your nose.

If you do have to use it, it's best used outside or in the garage if you can keep the gargage door open. You have to wear a proper respirator with the appropriate filter (usually an organic vapour filter). Eye protection and latex gloves should also be worn, because as bad as it is to inhale the stuff, absorbing it through your skin is even worse. The cement also stains anything you get it on and it's generally a pain in the a@@ to work with.

If you are serious about working with materials like this you should first take a WHMIS course to learn about how to safely work with chemicals and what to do in an emergency.

rtgentry

Reaction score
well the one I bought is by elmers, I have used the hot glue and I liked it better cause it dried faster. Thanks for the tips. I found that using different sized bouncy balls painted white work well for eyes, but the bigger you get the heavier they get.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'd recommend trying the plastic "half ball" Xmas ornaments you can get at a craft store. They are pretty good.

rtgentry

Reaction score
I am not sure what kind of half ball orniment you are talking about

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Most craft stores sell clear plastic balls to be hung on Christmas trees. They come in to two halves and can be painted or covered to be used as eyes.

officermom

Reaction score
These ornaments are often stocked in the potpourri or wedding sections because they are meant to be filled. They are also available on-line in several places, including: Sunshine Crafts and Factory Direct Crafts. Seacrh here and elsewhere for fillable acrylic ornaments. Do not choose the potpourri ornaments because these come iwth holes in them which really aren't conducive to puppet-eye creation.