holding up my arm

CousinLuke

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise, the show is just two days away and with this advise I will be the best bird peter pan has ever seen.

Now if only the directors understood anything about puppets.

doctort13

Reaction score
I guess that I am lucky/ My wife is a massage therapist :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by CousinLuke
Now if only the directors understood anything about puppets.
What do you mean? Seems lots of folks want to use puppets in their shows and don't know what to do with them or how to choreograph them.

Hays

Reaction score
Caroll Spinney mentioned this problem at the booksigning - apparently he can "only" do 11 hours or so in Big Bird. They were going to do a live appearance in Chicago which they thought would be beyond this, so they made a giant cage for his hand. It worked great, except that he said when you aren't holding up your own hand, it goes to sleep. He had to bounce the entire body of the puppet up and down to flap the mouth!

CousinLuke

Reaction score
What do you mean?
The director of my first scene was a student director and wanted me to do things that were physically impossible with the puppet I had and also seemed to belive that a puppet is a prop that would look OK if it just popped up. The only reason I even was alowed to have a good enterance was because the main director realized how horrible it worked. In addition, because the student director felt puppets were a burden given by the main director to the scene, the only "dirction" I got was that my arm (wich was at the highest it could go without being seen) was not high enough.

Anyway,:smile: :smile: the play went well. Oddly enough, the long scene with the bord puppet had to be cut out (the puppet, not the scene) because I ended up having to play a pirat in the scene because of the stupidity of one of the cast members. I got to add another scene for the puppet, which was shorter, and it also allowed me to see how much audiences LOVE puppets. When the Neverbird came out, the audience cheered (they also laughed, even though Peter had pretended he had just died). When I came out in curain call with the bird, people would scream. They loved the bird puppet. After one show one guy told me he thought the bird was anamatronic. The reaction from children when we went out to meet with the audience was great. I am glad to have been given this oppritunity.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
Caroll Spinney mentioned this problem at the booksigning - apparently he can "only" do 11 hours or so in Big Bird.
Minutes. Only 11 minutes. He's stated this before in the Biography special, and in interviews as well.

Once he did it for an hour and (I forget how many) minutes during a parade in Australia because he couldn't pass up a free trip to Australia. "I'm paying for it now!" were his comments on that.

Man! I wish I could have gone to see him in person! Well, hopefully someday.

Hays

Reaction score
D'OH!

That would be a long day sitting at a desk, much less holding up your arm! Thanks, Super Scooter!