Homemade Puppets

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Have you ever used Walmart's "Full Fleece"? I'm new at this, so I apologize for my stupidity, but I hear everyone talk about the Antron Fleece and wonder why is it so much better?
First off, where in MA are you from? If i may ask... You can reply to me in private message.

I don't think i've used the "full fleece" but i have used some sort of fleece before. And yes it does have a visible line : / which the Antron fleece hides. Even with the same technique you use on antron fleece to hide the seams, the seams are still noticeable.

Since i'm still new to puppet building (i say new, but its been about 3-4 years, and i'm still learning) i use fleece because if you make a mistake, you can say "o well at least i spent on $5 a yeard at Jo-Anns. I'll just go pick up some more" but if u mess up with Antron... You're wasting money lol.

Mistakes happen often. Which is why i tell people not to do replicas for your first time. I made an Ernie after making 4 puppets... and it left scars lol. I've afride to reatempt, even tho i know it'll come out better lol. Right now i'm in the middle of remaking my Cookie Monster's mouth. It was too boxy. It looks great tho... but after 2 years... i think i wanna fix it lol.

Animal31

Reaction score
First off, where in MA are you from? If i may ask... You can reply to me in private message.

I don't think i've used the "full fleece" but i have used some sort of fleece before. And yes it does have a visible line : / which the Antron fleece hides. Even with the same technique you use on antron fleece to hide the seams, the seams are still noticeable.

Since i'm still new to puppet building (i say new, but its been about 3-4 years, and i'm still learning) i use fleece because if you make a mistake, you can say "o well at least i spent on $5 a yeard at Jo-Anns. I'll just go pick up some more" but if u mess up with Antron... You're wasting money lol.

Mistakes happen often. Which is why i tell people not to do replicas for your first time. I made an Ernie after making 4 puppets... and it left scars lol. I've afride to reatempt, even tho i know it'll come out better lol. Right now i'm in the middle of remaking my Cookie Monster's mouth. It was too boxy. It looks great tho... but after 2 years... i think i wanna fix it lol.
Message sent........... :smile:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
mind letting me know to where in MA your from..i can seem to find any good fabrics near me

Animal31

Reaction score
mind letting me know to where in MA your from..i can seem to find any good fabrics near me
Sure, I'm about 30 miles south of Boston in the Brockton area. I can't honestly say that they have good fabrics because I'm just starting out with this myself, but Jo-Ann's in both Raynham and Hanover have an "Arctic" Fleece that I picked up for testing out some pattern ideas (still can't get the head right). They tell me they carry alot of furs around Halloween too for costumes.

The colors are really good and there is a lot of variety, and I think I'll be able to use another forum members idea and brush it out to hide the seam (though not as well as you could with Antron), but right now it's all about trial and error.

I did pick up some "Full" Fleece from the local Walmart in Abington, it's really comfortable and very light weight, but doesn't seem to hide the stitching at all. That could be my fault as well, I cannot sew very well, I can't believe you guys do these things by hand! HaHaHa

TML

Reaction score
It's the hand sewing that helps hide the stitch, but I'm not very good at it either. Luckily things always look better in pictures. LOL

CoOKiE

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPM8h6kdNp0

Heres a video for you all, who are wondering how to sew and perform the Henson/Muppet stitch.

I've used this same method on (i THINK its called) Anti Pill Fleece. It works better then just machine sewing, but don't expect the seam to go invisible. But when it comes to puppetry... Don't expect anything :insatiable:

Animal... are you sure you sent me a message or someone else? My inbox is empty lol. But thats fine, u already answered where you're from.

Frogpuppeteer, if you're looking for anyone to perform puppet videos, as i'm aware that you have done some videos, let me know and i'll help out. I'm at the tip of Rhode Island and I'm a better pick then someone off the street.

Also, if interested in building up a resume for puppetry, Big Nazo in Providence, R.I. is a GREAT suggestion. I've been with them for a year and have done alot of work with them. THey're always doing soemthing. I haven't been able to jump in anything with them recently tho... but hoping when the summer comes i'm able to once again.

Animal31

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPM8h6kdNp0

Heres a video for you all, who are wondering how to sew and perform the Henson/Muppet stitch.

I've used this same method on (i THINK its called) Anti Pill Fleece. It works better then just machine sewing, but don't expect the seam to go invisible. But when it comes to puppetry... Don't expect anything :insatiable:

Animal... are you sure you sent me a message or someone else? My inbox is empty lol. But thats fine, u already answered where you're from.

Frogpuppeteer, if you're looking for anyone to perform puppet videos, as i'm aware that you have done some videos, let me know and i'll help out. I'm at the tip of Rhode Island and I'm a better pick then someone off the street.

Also, if interested in building up a resume for puppetry, Big Nazo in Providence, R.I. is a GREAT suggestion. I've been with them for a year and have done alot of work with them. THey're always doing soemthing. I haven't been able to jump in anything with them recently tho... but hoping when the summer comes i'm able to once again.
I'm not sure why you didn't get it, I may have done something wrong on this end?