Hooper's Store proprietors

BEAR

Reaction score
I decided to make this a separate post instead of putting in the other human cast member thread. This may be the trickiest information yet. Please help me out with the seasons in which each character was on Sesame Street.
If you want to, you may also use this thread to discuss these characters in whatever way, but please help me out with some of this information.

Will Lee (as Mr. Hooper): Seasons 1-14
**I am told that his last appearance was in the episode where Big Bird leaves for camp. Can someone confirm this?
Northern Calloway (as David): Seasons 3-20
**Is this when he left? When did he leave to live with his grandma?
Leonard Jackson (as Mr. Handford #1): Seasons 21-23
David Langston Smyrl (as Mr. Handford #2): Seasons 24-29
Alan Muraoka (as Alan): Seasons 30-36 (present)

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
everything look right to me

Will Lee (as Mr. Hooper): Seasons 1-14 (1969-1983)
**I am told that his last appearance was in the episode where Big Bird leaves for camp. Can someone confirm this?

Northern Calloway (as David): Seasons 3-20 (1971-1989)
**Is this when he left? When did he leave to live with his grandma?

Leonard Jackson (as Mr. Handford #1): Seasons 21-23 (1990-1992)

David Langston Smyrl (as Mr. Handford #2): Seasons 24-29 (1992-1998)

Alan Muraoka (as Alan): Seasons 30-36 (present) (1998- )

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Mr. Hooper was in more episodes during the 14th Season. It's just that the last episode to air in the Noggin Cycle of 67 episodes to have Mr. Hooper in it was the one when Big Bird was at Camp. Now also remember Tom was Mr. Hooper's assistant during the 3rd season, and then David took Tom's place in Season 4, even though David joined the cast in Season 3. When Mr. Hooper died in 1983 David ran the store by himself for 4 years, and hired Gina in the fall of 1987. Gina and David worked together for only 2 years, because Mr. Handford ended up taking David's place in the fall of 1989. Another actor did replace the original in 1990. The first Mr. Handford only stuck around for a year. In 1995 Gina left the store to open up her own daycare center and Carlo took her place as Mr. Handford's assistant. As of 1998 Alan has been the stores owner, and does a pretty good job at it. I don't see him leaving any time soon.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Luis makes one more

There have been times when Big Bird, Ernie, or Cookie have been asked (usually against Mr. Hooper's better judgement) to watch the store for a while, but there is one notable exception.
For one brief shining moment, way back in the 70's, Luis tried running Hooper's Store (for the duration of one episode). In the street scenes David and Luis seemed to be complaining about the rigors of their jobs (for some reason, Mr. Hooper and Maria are conspicuous in their absence). Taking a cue from various movies and sitcoms, thinking "The Grass is Always Greener", David and Luis switch jobs, thinking running a different business will be a piece of cake.

David succeeds in breaking Big Bird's clock, which now chimes two hundred o'clock, causing Bird to wail " DAVID, YOU RUINED MY CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!"

Luis is not much better behind a lunch counter. He puts sugar on Farley's hamburger, and pepper and ketchup in Susan's coffee.

In the end, the two humbly decide to return to their own jobs, and are quite relieved neither one put the other out of business.

Xerus

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
There have been times when Big Bird, Ernie, or Cookie have been asked (usually against Mr. Hooper's better judgement) to watch the store for a while, but there is one notable exception.
For one brief shining moment, way back in the 70's, Luis tried running Hooper's Store (for the duration of one episode). In the street scenes David and Luis seemed to be complaining about the rigors of their jobs (for some reason, Mr. Hooper and Maria are conspicuous in their absence). Taking a cue from various movies and sitcoms, thinking "The Grass is Always Greener", David and Luis switch jobs, thinking running a different business will be a piece of cake.

David succeeds in breaking Big Bird's clock, which now chimes two hundred o'clock, causing Bird to wail " DAVID, YOU RUINED MY CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!"

Luis is not much better behind a lunch counter. He puts sugar on Farley's hamburger, and pepper and ketchup in Susan's coffee.

In the end, the two humbly decide to return to their own jobs, and are quite relieved neither one put the other out of business.
I remember that skit from a long time ago. After the customers leave because of Luis's mistakes. Oscar comes in wanting the sugar hamburger and ketchup coffee.

BEAR

Reaction score
I guess a couple people have posted a reply in here this afternoon (Xerus is one of them) but for some reason your posts are not showing up when I open the thread. What is going on?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:

That ep might just be a symptom of their deeper problem. The fact that they both liked Maria. Lol.

Seriously though, was there a time when Gina was the assistant to Mr. Hanford? I sort of remember her being at Hooper's after David left, but maybe I'm wrong.

SesameMike

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
There have been times when Big Bird, Ernie, or Cookie have been asked (usually against Mr. Hooper's better judgement) to watch the store for a while
My favorites have been oscar and Cookie Monster.

Oscar was in one either season 1 or 2, when Mr. Hooper convinces Oscar to mind the store by telling him there are 4 large cans of garbage present. When Hooper returns, Oscar has taken the trash out of the cans and "decorated" the store with it. Large brown paper dirty sheets of paper were hung in the window as "curtains" for example. Hooper's first reaction to the mess was a shocked "OSCA? WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY STORE?"

Cookie Monster was asked to mind the store in about the 5th season. But Mr. Hooper made Cookie Monster solemnly promise not to eat from the conspicuous glass jug of cookies therein. We returned to this scene several times, as we watched CM deal with his frustration. First, he ate all the food items in the store except the cookies. Then he said "Me eat... STORE", as he proceeded to consume the stool cushions and the soda jerk handles and pretty much everything that wasn't nailed down. When Hooper returned, the store was all but bare... except for the untouched jug of cookies. Note that CM eventually ate them as well "for dessert."

fuzzygobo said:
David succeeds in breaking Big Bird's clock, which now chimes two hundred o'clock
I remember that episode. Big Bird brought in what appeared to be an antique wall clock (vienna regulator?) to be fixed, claiming it wasn't chiming. (antique timepieces should actually be taken to a clock shop rather than a general repair shop, but... And where did Big Bird keep such a clock anyway? Wouldn't fit in his nest.) David reached behind the clock's works and said he "felt" what was wrong and fixed it right there. Then he moved the hands several minutes forward to 12:00 to see if it would chime. Of course, once it started striking it didn't stop, hence the 200 o'clock.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Cookie Monster was asked to mind the store in about the 5th season. But Mr. Hooper made Cookie Monster solemnly promise not to eat from the conspicuous glass jug of cookies therein. We returned to this scene several times, as we watched CM deal with his frustration. First, he ate all the food items in the store except the cookies. Then he said "Me eat... STORE", as he proceeded to consume the stool cushions and the soda jerk handles and pretty much everything that wasn't nailed down. When Hooper returned, the store was all but bare... except for the untouched jug of cookies. Note that CM eventually ate them as well "for dessert."
That reminds me of Big Bird's birthday special where CM knew he couldn't eat Big Bird's cake, but he devored everything else on "Sesame Street." I wonder if the writers had that early ep in mind when they made that special.