Hoots the Owl's eyes!

wiley207

Reaction score
Am I the only one who noticed something they changed with Hoots the Owl in recent years? It seems that they changed Hoots's eyes! The original version of Hoots (1985-2001 version) had these realistic owl-like eyes that looked really cute.
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/2/2b/HootsTheOwl.jpg
But now he has these more generic-looking eyes.
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/8/89/Characters.hoots&cookie.jpeg

Needless to say, I liked Hoots's original eyes better. They added character to the puppet as well as some realism. Which eyes do YOU like better?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like his newer eyes, they look a bit more friendly in my humble opinion. But they changed his eyes AGAIN this past season to a bright yellow instead of those orange ones in that second pic your posted.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I liked the realistic original looking eyes personally, the new ones scare me a little, lol. (Of course, a lot of things used to scare me on SS, despite my devotion!)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I liked the realistice original looking eyes personally, the new ones scare me a little, lol. (Of course, a lot of things used to scare me on SS, despite my devotion!)
It's just the opposite for me.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that, lol. Sounds like a Sesame Street sketch, doesn't it? In the spirit of cooperation, we agree to disagree! Lol

anytimepally

Reaction score
I do like the original eyes better, but it's not so drastic a change that I can't get used to it... Grover's fur color, on the other hand..

SSLFan

Reaction score
The new Grover puppet is OK. I personally the old Hoots puppet better though.:smirk: Who makes these weird and awful decisions at Sesame Workshop?

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
I noticed that change to Hoots in the last year or so too! I personally think the original is better looking (muppety but realistic too).

Does it seem like this has happened to all the characters in the last few years? Take for instance Big Bird, Ernie, Bert (to name a few) whose designs have been tweaked to a 'geometric shape' which doesn't retain their character's quirky attitudes as well as a more natural puppet from, say, 20 years ago.

Even the set design of 123, Hooper's, the Alcove, etc. are cleaner. What happened to the welcoming filth that made a home for so many of us over the last 38 years? I don't mean to sound like a :grouchy: , but it' sad that Sesame Street seems to be declining from its so-called former glory.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I noticed that change to Hoots in the last year or so too! I personally think the original is better looking (muppety but realistic too).

Doesn't it seem like all of the characters have been revised, though, (including the set too) to seem incredibly brighter and more tidy. The puppets design (Big Bird, Ernie, Bert to name a few) have become somehow geometric and predictible, which doesn't seem to retain the character's original quirkiness. What happened to the neat, yet somehow welcoming filth which made Sesame Street home?
I agree, it's a little too perfect and sanitary now.