1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Hostess Brands closing for good due to baker's strike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBabySpencer, Nov 16, 2012.

1. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Does anyone thyink that maybe Hostess is bluffing to get the striking workers back...I know they said they weren't but you never know...at any right I'm sure someone will buy up the product names and assets much as Toys r us bought (But never used) kb toys name or that Someone bought the circuit city name
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's too late. They just were looking for an excuse to close the company, and they were using the unions as a scapegoat. There was no way they were going to last, even with massive everybody but CEO paycuts. Companies emerge from bankruptcy always go back to bankruptcy, Boarders and K.B. Toys are perfect examples. What really needed to happen was a buy out by Kraft or Kelloggs months if not years ago.

TRU doesn't need to have KB, and whoever owns Circuit City doesn't need to revise it. If Hostess is absorbed by Kraft or Kelloggs (or someone else), they'll no doubt keep the bigger names of the brand.

Seriously, I think TRU should have revised KB to a discount toy store that sells discontinued or overstock toys cheap. That was the only good thing about K.B. other than location.
  3. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo was going to buy them out at one point, but Hostess refused.
  4. DannyRWW

It sounds like that might be a reality in todays headlines...the fact twinkies would be made by a company named bimbo is somewhat funny actually
  5. DannyRWW

and I think Toys R Us bought KB to make sure no one else but the name of a recognized competitor.. just a hunch though....
  6. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Which explains why B&L owns the Twinkie brand :p
  7. rowlfy662

rowlfy662 Active Member

neveermind ho hos this is more like oh nos wocka wocka
    charlietheowl likes this.
  8. Drtooth

And the fact TRU can charge whatever the heck it wants to half the time. I know of one that raises prices for no reason every other month.

And they should have. I'm just saying. Arrogance lead to the downfall. Jobs could have been saved, it was inevitable that Wonderbread was going under.
  9. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

The best thing that ever happened to the Twinkie was back in the 70's, when they covered it in chocolate and called it the Chocodile. (They had a crocodile mascot, but the brand only lasted about a year, but what a year it was!)

I think it's hysterical all the hoarding going on and people selling Twinkies on ebay for outrageous sums. Again, too bad for all the unemployed grunt people, shame on the higher-ups and union bosses, and too bad a brand like Hostess is vanishing from the earth. But at least we still have Drake's and Tastycakes around here for those who still need their munchie fix. :)
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  10. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I miss Tastycakes :(

I'm pretty sure they are a regional thing since I have never seen them in the south...
  11. Drtooth

There is yet to be confirmation, but the company will be sold and I'm sure they'll continue to produce these things once everything is settled.

But, you might like to know that the first time they filed for bankruptcy back in 2004 or so, the CEO's cut their employees pay and benefits to save the company, only to reward themselves with a 300% pay raise for doing such a good job at sucking.

There isn't a palm to face or roll of the eyes adequate enough to express how freaking stupid they were at business. You know that Aesop's Fable about the dog who lost his bone because he barked because he thought his reflection was another dog with a bigger bone? That was an act of brilliant selflessness compared to that.
  12. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

My opinion is, is there's more important things going on in the world then people crying over some stupid cakes. Find another fattening snack America it's not like we're short on any. Snack on an apple it's healthier anyways.

Although the people selling them for thousands of dollars I'm sure are enjoying the profit.

Besides I'm sure Disney is gonna buy the company anyways. :p
    Muppet fan 123 and DannyRWW like this.
  13. Drtooth

My concern isn't the food, my concern lies with the thousands of people now out of work because stupid entitled greedy morons are stupid entitled greedy morons. There's never any backlash against CEO's and terrible business decisions, and we have learned nothing from Enron.

That said, it's terrible to see a favorite brand die. It's like going through a mall and looking at the overpriced boutique that no one ever buys stuff from that used to be your favorite store. No matter how much you're over it, you look at it and think "if that store were still opened, I bet they'd have something great." It's not like a long canceled TV show where you can always watch over and over again depending on the availability, it's an experience that can never be recreated.

I will add this one thing. I hate when someone says when you crave something, go for something that's completely the opposite of what you want. "Look, I know you want that rich fudgey brownie over there, but how about a nice disgusting piece of raw celery since essentially it's the same thing." It's important to eat healthy (and quite honestly, fruit is a lesser of two evils, it contains sugar as well. We REALLY need to eat more vegetables if anything), but that's what a treat is. Something you don't eat often. And when you do, it just gets you to normal.
  14. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

Apparently Hostess might not be closing after all, reportedly the union and the company are going to return to the bargaining table. So maybe this was a cheap-shot negotiating tactic after all.
  15. Drtooth

Actually, the bankruptcy courts have ordered Hostess to resume negotiations.

Still, I feel the company and brand are better off in more competent hands. But if it saves jobs for a while (until they make more bad decisions about what to do with their money), I'm for that. But Hostess needs to look for a business partner in the near future to prevent the brand and jobs from going under.
  16. Pinkflower7783

For the win is all I have to say.
  17. Pinkflower7783

Was there really a need to quote my post and give me one big long lecture? Because I personally don't care what your concerns are or what you hate. So your opinion to me means nothing.
  18. Drtooth

You are the ONLY person I know on this board that has a problem with being quoted. Quoting isn't just directly responding to you, but rather bringing up points for the sake of a conversation. Please try to remember that.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  19. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I think now would be a good time to mention that Pinky, YOU are the one who starts fights. This is a blatant attempt to get DrTooth to argue with you and in his defense, I didn't see anything that looked like a lecture.

You try start fights with ME all the time...I dunno if I'm just an easy target who is just as hard headed as you, but really, virtually every post I make with an opinion you have to attack me about it. I have been keeping my mouth shut about it, but I can't any more...there was no hostility towards you in his post and that was completely uncalled for...
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  20. Pinkflower7783

When have I started arguments with you?! Stop trying to make out like your a victim. I did not post that to get him to argue with me. I have not attacked you on any of your opinions infact I've only recently started talking to you in other threads! Frankly you seem to be the one who always has a smart attitude at times.

And since we're on the subject let me just say its not just me who has had issues with him. A few members on here have also said similar things about him to me. Some of you people think just because you've been here the longest it gives you the right to do and say whatever you want.

Frankly I don't care about you. Your not my family or friend all you are is someone over a computer. If this gets me banned so be it. At least I know I'll have stuck up for myself. And just like you I am no longer keeping my mouth shut.